There are 222 users in the forums

Eswyoung's Post ApoCullyptic Mock Draft

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by fan49:
Draft is good. But missing an explosive reciever. We need a 4.3 guy. Now way around it.we have no 4.3 guys. And a size reciever will not open anything up.

A fast guy doesn't necessarily translate to production, no production, no threat, no threat, means you don't loosen up the defense. How many speed receivers like Ted Ginn, never materialize for their draft worth. Where as Jerry rice had a bad 40 but we all know how that translated. Plus there are only so many 4.3 guys in this draft who may produce.. Size receiver is good for red zone or short yardage/moving the chain. Case in point Dwight Clark who made the catch, he is 6-4, who by the way also ran a 4.6 40. There are many factors that contribute to a receiver being a sucessful deep threat. Some of these guys go to specialty training for the combine, yet on film that speed doesn't seem to translate. Some guys have no drop off in straight speed when the pads go on. Others are smooth coming out of their breaks, cuts and stutter step, and they are also good actors with their body language in selling the opponent. Watkins did not run a 4.3, are you saying you would not draft him?

Bear in mind we re-structured Baldwin, I think they might be viewing him as the size guy or red zone target as historically our FO don't give up on people immediately.

We also have Vance, so I'd prefer a deep threat to stretch the field rather than a physical guy battling that Seattle secondary.
Nice mock
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Three picks for roby is ridiculous. He is an athletic freak but he has a high bust potential. Maybe use one pick on him but not three

My rationale was that since we have so many picks and so few roster spots, I'd rather get 2 of the top 5 corners in a deep draft then keep extra picks for our already loaded roster. I can understand your concern and it is warranted but I think there isn't really any prospect that is guaranteed to be bust proof. Getting two extremely athletic corners who can be immediate starters and would be under the tutelage of Donatell IMO trumps extra picks especially if most of our depth issues are still getting addressed in the rest of the mock for dirt cheap draft picks later on.

Roby had a bad year and got burned by a guy like Wisconsin's Jared A., don't like him. He (this is just a feeling) has got Mike Rumph written all over him. Besides just because you got lots of draft picks doesn't mean you go and throw them away. Case in point, If you go by the generic draft value chart, last year we got Eric reid cheap. It should have cost us a 1st, 2nd, and another pick, yet we got him for only 1st and a thrid rounder.

Roby had a bad year by Roby standards this year. Having a bad game happens, but for many of the games this year I'm assuming he was decent just not outstanding since I have not heard any other game mentioned when it comes to Roby this year. Given a defense like Ohio States had in 2012, like ours is, I think he will excel. On top of that Donatell has worked wonders with late round picks, what he would be able to do with legitimate talent scares me.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by fan49:
Draft is good. But missing an explosive reciever. We need a 4.3 guy. Now way around it.we have no 4.3 guys. And a size reciever will not open anything up.

A fast guy doesn't necessarily translate to production, no production, no threat, no threat, means you don't loosen up the defense. How many speed receivers like Ted Ginn, never materialize for their draft worth. Where as Jerry rice had a bad 40 but we all know how that translated. Plus there are only so many 4.3 guys in this draft who may produce.. Size receiver is good for red zone or short yardage/moving the chain. Case in point Dwight Clark who made the catch, he is 6-4, who by the way also ran a 4.6 40. There are many factors that contribute to a receiver being a sucessful deep threat. Some of these guys go to specialty training for the combine, yet on film that speed doesn't seem to translate. Some guys have no drop off in straight speed when the pads go on. Others are smooth coming out of their breaks, cuts and stutter step, and they are also good actors with their body language in selling the opponent. Watkins did not run a 4.3, are you saying you would not draft him?

Bear in mind we re-structured Baldwin, I think they might be viewing him as the size guy or red zone target as historically our FO don't give up on people immediately.

We also have Vance, so I'd prefer a deep threat to stretch the field rather than a physical guy battling that Seattle secondary.

Cody Latimer runs between a 4.43 and 4.38, he has a 39" vertical, and benched 23 reps. I think of all the measurables defining explosiveness he fits them. He also made Dennard look silly when they played so that's brownie points. He is also very physical and has size 6'2 215lbs. Having him and Vernon deep with Crabs and Boldin working the middle of the field would be extremely beneficial to our offense.
Share 49ersWebzone