There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eswyoung's Post ApoCullyptic Mock Draft

Let me know what you guys think!

1+3b. Jason Verrett CB (TCU 5'9" 189lbs, 30 5/8" arms, 4.38 40)- I'll be criticized for this pick because "there is too deep a draft to throw around picks" and so on, however it would be a dream come true to have so many athletically gifted playmakers in the secondary. He's the perfect nickel corner and would prevent those constant 3rd down completions on us by opposing teams.

2a+2b Bradley Roby CB (Ohio State 5'11" 194lbs, 31.5"arms, 4.39 40)- Highly instinctive, fast, and tough against the run. He can play boundary off the bat. The bigger slower guys won't have a chance against him since he's rarely burned in off man coverage (10% burn rate).

3a. Cody Latimer WR (Indiana 6'2" 215lbs, 32 5/8" arms, 4.43 40)- We keep getting overly excited about drafting a receiver. However, we currently have Crabtree, Boldin, and Patton. Next year we will still have Patton and Boldin. This means a physical high upside specimen like Latimer makes a ton of sense. He can come in and learn without threatening Crabtree too much. He is strong, fast, and physical. Just the way we like it.

3c. Travis Swanson C (Arkansas 6'5" 312lbs, 33 1/8" arms)- He has the size, athletic ability, and agility he just needs the strength. Given time in an NFL weight room he could become a monster and an instant plug in starter at center. Sitting as a backup will do him good as he learns the system and strengthens up.

4. Antone Exum S (Virginia Tech 5'11" 213lbs, 31 5/8" arms, 4.59 40)- He was a prominent playmaker on a very good defense before tearing his ACL. If given a chance on our team I'm sure the physically imposing DB could make an impact and give Dahl serious competition at the backup spot.

5. Brett Smith QB (Wyoming 6'2" 206lbs)- A dual threat QB with a lot of upside and similarities to Kap. He is considered a poor mans Manziel in this draft and would prosper in an offense like ours.

7a. Spencer Long OG (Nebraska 6'5" 320lbs, 33 1/8" arms)- A highly talented lineman that could be groomed to take over for Iupati if he leaves in free agency next year.

7b. Quincy Enunwa WR (Nebraska 6'2" 225lbs, 32 5/8" arms, 4.45 40)- Strong, physical, and fast. A special teamer with upside. Definitely a hidden gem who could benefit from being mentored by Boldin.

7c. Andrew Jackson ILB (Western Kentucky 6'1" 254lbs)- A fiery trash talking competitor with size. He can compete with Wilhoite, Moody, and Fleming in camp. He has a good chance of making the the team by taking Bowmans spot while on IR.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Mar 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Let me know what you guys think!

2a+2b+3b. Bradley Roby CB (Ohio State 5'11" 194lbs, 31.5"arms, 4.39 40)- Highly instinctive, fast, and tough against the run. He can play boundary off the bat. The bigger slower guys won't have a chance against him since he's rarely burned in off man coverage (10% burn rate).

1. Jason Verrett CB (TCU 5'9" 189lbs, 30 5/8" arms, 4.38 40)- I'll be criticized for this pick because "there is too deep a draft to throw around picks" and so on, however it would be a dream come true to have so many athletically gifted playmakers in the secondary. He's the perfect nickel corner and would prevent those constant 3rd down completions on us by opposing teams.

3a. Cody Latimer WR (Indiana 6'2" 215lbs, 32 5/8" arms, 4.43 40)- We keep getting overly excited about drafting a receiver. However, we currently have Crabtree, Boldin, and Patton. Next year we will still have Patton and Boldin. This means a physical high upside specimen like Latimer makes a ton of sense. He can come in and learn without threatening Crabtree too much. He is strong, fast, and physical. Just the way we like it.

3c. Travis Swanson C (Arkansas 6'5" 312lbs, 33 1/8" arms)- He has the size, athletic ability, and agility he just needs the strength. Given time in an NFL weight room he could become a monster and an instant plug in starter at center. Sitting as a backup will do him good as he learns the system and strengthens up.

4. Antone Exum S (Virginia Tech 5'11" 213lbs, 31 5/8" arms, 4.59 40)- He was a prominent playmaker on a very good defense before tearing his ACL. If given a chance on our team I'm sure the physically imposing DB could make an impact and give Dahl serious competition at the backup spot.

5. Brett Smith QB (Wyoming 6'2" 206lbs)- A dual threat QB with a lot of upside and similarities to Kap. He is considered a poor mans Manziel in this draft and would prosper in an offense like ours.

7a. Spencer Long OG (Nebraska 6'5" 320lbs, 33 1/8" arms)- A highly talented lineman that could be groomed to take over for Iupati if he leaves in free agency next year.

7b. Quincy Enunwa WR (Nebraska 6'2" 225lbs, 32 5/8" arms, 4.45 40)- Strong, physical, and fast. A special teamer with upside. Definitely a hidden gem who could benefit from being mentored by Boldin.

7c. Andrew Jackson ILB (Western Kentucky 6'1" 254lbs)- A fiery trash talking competitor with size. He can compete with Wilhoite, Moody, and Fleming in camp. He has a good chance of making the the team by taking Bowmans spot while on IR.
I think Antone Exum will go in the third and I like us picking Logan Thomas a lil more than Brett Smith but everything else is a home run.
Overall good.

Don't like using the 3c pick on Swanson [good player] Rather get a G because IMO Iupati will be gone after this season I'd much prefer Gabe Jackson 6'4" 330 Mississippi State, a total beast! And I know Long [good player] is your 7a pick.

Thanks for the mock.
I'm worried about Exum going earlier but I'm hoping he slips to 4th. He is an early 3rd round prospect if the secret gets out. Logan Thomas is a physical freak but I'd prefer Smith who apparently has sky high leadership intangibles which is great for a backup to have considering the circumstances they may have to play under if they have to enter the game.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Mar 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Overall good.

Don't like using the 3c pick on Swanson [good player] Rather get a G because IMO Iupati will be gone after this season I'd much prefer Gabe Jackson 6'4" 330 Mississippi State, a total beast! And I know Long [good player] is your 7a pick.

Thanks for the mock.

Thanks for the feedback. I have always had a debate with myself about getting someone like Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson at that spot. Both would be steals and both would create enormous running lanes. It was really a toss up for me. I figured it better to get Swanson/Long so that a potential 2nd drafted O lineman wouldn't take an additional roster spot from someone already on the team.
Not sold on two 2nd rd picks and a 3rd rd pick on Roby. He may drop in to the 2nd round anyway. We could probably get him for less and if by some chance we didn't there would be other talented CB's we could draft. This is a deep CB draft.
I like it but roby is gonna fall into the second round for sure after having a bad year.We could get him for a second and fourth
Trade up...for Roby? No way. For my money, Verret and Fuller offer the best value and skillsets Harbaugh needs. It'd arguably be hard to get them both, although Baalke's got the picks to work with. I like most of your other picks, except you're bypassing too many better WR's like Matthews, Moncrief, Adams, etc. Baalke will need to grab some of the best WR's to offset Crabtree's potential departure and Boldin's 2 seasons from now.
Three picks for roby is ridiculous. He is an athletic freak but he has a high bust potential. Maybe use one pick on him but not three
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Three picks for roby is ridiculous. He is an athletic freak but he has a high bust potential. Maybe use one pick on him but not three

My rationale was that since we have so many picks and so few roster spots, I'd rather get 2 of the top 5 corners in a deep draft then keep extra picks for our already loaded roster. I can understand your concern and it is warranted but I think there isn't really any prospect that is guaranteed to be bust proof. Getting two extremely athletic corners who can be immediate starters and would be under the tutelage of Donatell IMO trumps extra picks especially if most of our depth issues are still getting addressed in the rest of the mock for dirt cheap draft picks later on.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Mar 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM ]
Big ten WR historically suck dixxx! Other than that, could be a promising draft
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Draft is good. But missing an explosive reciever. We need a 4.3 guy. Now way around it.we have no 4.3 guys. And a size reciever will not open anything up.
Originally posted by fan49:
Draft is good. But missing an explosive reciever. We need a 4.3 guy. Now way around it.we have no 4.3 guys. And a size reciever will not open anything up.

A fast guy doesn't necessarily translate to production, no production, no threat, no threat, means you don't loosen up the defense. How many speed receivers like Ted Ginn, never materialize for their draft worth. Where as Jerry rice had a bad 40 but we all know how that translated. Plus there are only so many 4.3 guys in this draft who may produce.. Size receiver is good for red zone or short yardage/moving the chain. Case in point Dwight Clark who made the catch, he is 6-4, who by the way also ran a 4.6 40. There are many factors that contribute to a receiver being a sucessful deep threat. Some of these guys go to specialty training for the combine, yet on film that speed doesn't seem to translate. Some guys have no drop off in straight speed when the pads go on. Others are smooth coming out of their breaks, cuts and stutter step, and they are also good actors with their body language in selling the opponent. Watkins did not run a 4.3, are you saying you would not draft him?
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

My rationale was that since we have so many picks and so few roster spots, I'd rather get 2 of the top 5 corners in a deep draft then keep extra picks for our already loaded roster. I can understand your concern and it is warranted but I think there isn't really any prospect that is guaranteed to be bust proof. Getting two extremely athletic corners who can be immediate starters and would be under the tutelage of Donatell IMO trumps extra picks especially if most of our depth issues are still getting addressed in the rest of the mock for dirt cheap draft picks later on.

Roby had a bad year and got burned by a guy like Wisconsin's Jared A., don't like him. He (this is just a feeling) has got Mike Rumph written all over him. Besides just because you got lots of draft picks doesn't mean you go and throw them away. Case in point, If you go by the generic draft value chart, last year we got Eric reid cheap. It should have cost us a 1st, 2nd, and another pick, yet we got him for only 1st and a thrid rounder.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by fan49:

A fast guy doesn't necessarily translate to production, no production, no threat, no threat, means you don't loosen up the defense. How many speed receivers like Ted Ginn, never materialize for their draft worth. Where as Jerry rice had a bad 40 but we all know how that translated. Plus there are only so many 4.3 guys in this draft who may produce.. Size receiver is good for red zone or short yardage/moving the chain. Case in point Dwight Clark who made the catch, he is 6-4, who by the way also ran a 4.6 40. There are many factors that contribute to a receiver being a sucessful deep threat. Some of these guys go to specialty training for the combine, yet on film that speed doesn't seem to translate. Some guys have no drop off in straight speed when the pads go on. Others are smooth coming out of their breaks, cuts and stutter step, and they are also good actors with their body language in selling the opponent. Watkins did not run a 4.3, are you saying you would not draft him?

i agree 100% for every randy moss with elite speed there are tons of ginns. draft productive players, get productive players. im not saying draft slugs but speed isnt everything. it would be nice to get a guy with super speed but not if he was just a long ball guy and cant do anything else. we need our players to be more than one dimensional. draft good route runners who get open and have good hands early and take a flyer on a burner from a small school late in the draft or something. we cant blow early picks on size/speed dudes like the raiders do every year and get burned on our valuable draft picks