There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bigwads 2014 Mock 1.0

Originally posted by stonecold590:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, I like PFT as much as the next person but you can't read into those rankings too much. Brooks was solid and played very well at times, not sure how he can blamed for much of anything.

Originally posted by SFrush:
Brooks had a horrible year? That news to me. If making second team all pro is horrible I'll take it.

This! Brooks played well. He had to carry the load while Aldon was on leave and getting back into game shape, and having others trying to fill Aldons shoes. Brooks did fine under those circumstance. Stats are deceiving when you are just looking at numbers that don't show the whole picture.

Totally agree, I just thought people would like to know how he statted out...but apparently not. I should have just left people oblivious.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
This, I like PFT as much as the next person but you can't read into those rankings too much. Brooks was solid and played very well at times, not sure how he can blamed for much of anything.

Originally posted by SFrush:
Brooks had a horrible year? That news to me. If making second team all pro is horrible I'll take it.

This! Brooks played well. He had to carry the load while Aldon was on leave and getting back into game shape, and having others trying to fill Aldons shoes. Brooks did fine under those circumstance. Stats are deceiving when you are just looking at numbers that don't show the whole picture.

Totally agree, I just thought people would like to know how he statted out...but apparently not. I should have just left people oblivious.

I gotcha. I would be fine with your draft
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I do not Like your Mock at All way too many CBs in the top and the trades are crazy..I like SOme of the picks But not in the order you have them,We Need a couple of recievers closer to the top of the Draft not that low....and don't we have 2 NTs already?

I don't necessarily have a problem with the WR's, Herron adds the deep threat that this team needs and Janis gives them someone to develop. With Fuller or Verrett they add an instant starter in the secondary. As far as Tuitt goes, I'm definitely open to drafting a DL early, I just don't see the need to trade up for one, that would be my biggest qualm. Tuitt is a very nice talent but I don't think he's a transitional player where you give up a whole lot to acquire him because he'll turn your team around. This is a very deep draft in the middle rounds so as Jeff Fisher was saying a couple days ago, you could be looking at a potential starter even in the third round, giving up two of them to acquire a guy who'll be a backup on your team for awhile isn't something I'm much in favor of.

In terms of the CB situation, I'd definitely want to see one slot corner and one outside corner, Verrett and Jean-Baptiste works, Fuller and Jean-Baptiste, not so much, that's two cornerbacks who will struggle to defend the deep ball.

Colvin is a great pick period, you throw him on the IR, he doesn't cost you a roster spot, he's a legit 2nd-3rd round talent, saves you having to draft another cornerback early next season.

I would like to see a center added at some point during the draft, would also like to see an offensive guard, maybe a guy like Spencer Long who can be added, thrown on to the IR to have another potential player to replace Iupati with.

Beyond that, if the 49ers could walk out of the draft with Fuller or Verrett, Tuitt, Herron, Colvin and Janis, I wouldn't be mad. I'm not really a fan of Baptiste because I'm not entirely convinced that Fangio will move towards a more press-coverage oriented defense, without that I see Baptiste's career looking a lot more like Chris Cook's instead of Richard Sherman's.

Like I said its more of the Order of his picks and the trades,I like herron,but I think we can get a Matthew,a Moncreif, A Bryant or even A Beckham in the first 2 draft picks.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigwads:
It took great restraint to wait this long for my first mock of the year. With the recent Culliver issue, things actually got clearer. I have listened to the debates on the board over the last few months and have not made a rash decision on any of the players or the strategy.

I believe I have a mock that is actually in line with something we may actually see Baalke do. Like others, I have weighed the options of drafting a WR high or even trading up for one of the big ones or even Cooks. The irony about the WR corps is that the position group is not even close to a "legitimate need" position, although, we all agree more speed and improvement in the area is greatly desirable.

I hope the Zone looks at the heart of the team Harbaugh wants, which actually faltered somewhat last year i.e. our OL and DL. The premium stats on PFT show that our interior OL play was actually below average. This is why we could not run the ball with any consistency. Kap and Gore do a lot to mask our running game consistency problems. Our running game against GB and Seattle in the playoffs was god awful and Kap basically willed us through the playoffs. I address the DL this year and next year don't be surprised to see us take an OG early.

The DL (meaning the NG and two DE's) group is faltering according to PFT. Our DL is not dominating like they need to for us to be successful. This is the truth, and I remedy that in this draft. Frankly, our defense is built on this group and it masks our DB deficiencies.

Ahmad Brooks also had a horrible year according to PFT. He is not rushing the passer very well at all. I think Ballke tries to move him after next year or the year after.

Our CB corps is need #1 by far and it just got worse because Culliver is likely gone, unless the reported facts turn out to be way off base. Hit and runs are a big deal even if he didn't hurt anyone greatly.

The need for a true slot CB is legitimate. The need for matchup CB's who are taller and bigger is legitimate in our division. I don't think Baalke adds to the safety position this year after the Bethea signing, but we could see a late draft pick there.

That being said, here you go:

I think the trades are realistic considering the depth in the draft this year, which should inflate later picks value compared to higher picks and the place where the player is taken is very realistic as well.

#30 Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech or Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (If Fuller is there I like his height and instincts over Verrett, but Verrett's quickness is unparalleled in this draft)
#35*Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
#56 Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
#62 Traded for #35
#76 Traded for #35
#94 Traded for 3rd next year and 4th this year
#100 Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
4a* Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State
4b Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (a pure bpa pick...he was the best CB at the Senior Bowl until he got hurt...worth a pick even though I took two cb's already)
5 Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State
I think the 49ers could trade up in round two and target a Wide Receiver they really like. Also instead of drafting 3 corners one pick would probably go to the Safety position.
Not a bad draft. Love getting Tuitt. I don't think Jones at ILB makes it to the 4th round. Like Colvin in the 4th but we could probably trade back and get him in the mid 5th round.

Totally disagree with the evaluation on Brooks. He played great last year. He was also robbed of a sack by the refs if you remember. When you consider he is an OLB and not a pass rushing DE or Hybrid like Aldon Smith his stats are great. He doesn't get to rush the passer most of the time. Usually it's our 3 DL's and Aldon rushing. When you consider that and the fact that he is great against the run he plays very well.

What were Justin Smith's stats? I guess he sucks to. NO WAY. Stats don't always tell the story. How many sacks were not made by Smith but facilitated by him? How many times has he freed up Aldon on a crossing move for a sack?
CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
LSU

DE STEPHON TUITT
NOTRE DAME

S TERRENCE BROOKS
FLORIDA STATE

DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
FLORIDA

WR MARTAVIS BRYANT
CLEMSON

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

CB DEION BELUE
ALABAMA
Any mock that doesn't have a minimum of two WR's I have some problems with...because Crabtree's Niner future is cloudy, at best and Boldin's only signed for 2 seasons. Just taking a smaller speed guy doesn't cut it. Now, if you'd forgo the trades, you could've taken Matthews, Moncrief, Adams...while we need a speed guy, we also need to draft MC's and Boldin's replacements. You can't rely on FA and Crabtree could be done in 2015. Like Fuller a lot, but think Desir has more upside than J-B.
I'm good with just taking defense early on
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Any mock that doesn't have a minimum of two WR's I have some problems with...because Crabtree's Niner future is cloudy, at best and Boldin's only signed for 2 seasons. Just taking a smaller speed guy doesn't cut it. Now, if you'd forgo the trades, you could've taken Matthews, Moncrief, Adams...while we need a speed guy, we also need to draft MC's and Boldin's replacements. You can't rely on FA and Crabtree could be done in 2015. Like Fuller a lot, but think Desir has more upside than J-B.

I think you hit on the big question mark going into the draft...do we take a DE that can replace McDonald/Smith soon or take a WR that can take over Crabtree soon. I have been going back and forth on that one for 3 months. I think what finally settled it for me is the balloon to the cap that is going to happen over the next 4 years or so. If Baalke wants to keep Crabs we will easily be able to do so even with Kap's huge pay raise and A. Smith's increase (although A. Smith will have a 5th year option and a one time franchise tag to deal with, so he isn't going anywhere.) We also have a lot of cap room after next year built in already. In other words, I see us actually keeping Crabs even though everyone would love to improve on his position.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM ]
This Cully thing might change it all. Look for him to get to get cut if any of that is true because it will look bad on our image. If this is the case, we will need to move on a can't miss corner prospect who can come in and start immediately. Fuller may or may not be this guy, if teams think he's a rookie NFL starter, he will be gone before our pick.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
This Cully thing might change it all. Look for him to get to get cut if any of that is true because it will look bad on our image. If this is the case, we will need to move on a can't miss corner prospect who can come in and start immediately. Fuller may or may not be this guy, if teams think he's a rookie NFL starter, he will be gone before our pick.

The cully issue is a big deal. I take a wr in round two without his recent issue.
[ Edited by bigwads on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:03 AM ]
Originally posted by juycho:
CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
LSU

DE STEPHON TUITT
NOTRE DAME

S TERRENCE BROOKS
FLORIDA STATE

DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
FLORIDA

WR MARTAVIS BRYANT
CLEMSON

QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA

CB DEION BELUE
ALABAMA

No way Beckham and Tuitt are there at those picks!
I like this mock. I would be happy with Truitt at the beginning of round 2.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock.
Originally posted by Hopper:
8.5 sacks in the regular season, 4.5 sacks in the postseason. What's so horrible unless PFF is talking strictly QB pressures.

Solid mock though.

Yeah, lead all SAM LBers in the regular season and then lead ALL LBers in the post season which is big given he probably get's half the rushes a WILL gets. And the clutch plays? They certainly need to rework their grading system to account for the different responsibilities of LBers and stop lumping them all together.

The strong side is almost always going to have a TE and RB blocking on that SAM side so it's damn hard to get consistent pressures/hits/sacks. In fact, really, the difference here is that Brooks rushes to seal the edge (push up field, force everything inside) first and THEN attacks whereas on the WILL side, you can flat out rush the passer on just about every down and if they happen to run, stuff it (often times you'll see overpursuing on this side from all great pass rushers for this very reason).