LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Bigwads 2014 Mock 1.0

It took great restraint to wait this long for my first mock of the year. With the recent Culliver issue, things actually got clearer. I have listened to the debates on the board over the last few months and have not made a rash decision on any of the players or the strategy.

I believe I have a mock that is actually in line with something we may actually see Baalke do. Like others, I have weighed the options of drafting a WR high or even trading up for one of the big ones or even Cooks. The irony about the WR corps is that the position group is not even close to a "legitimate need" position, although, we all agree more speed and improvement in the area is greatly desirable.

I hope the Zone looks at the heart of the team Harbaugh wants, which actually faltered somewhat last year i.e. our OL and DL. The premium stats on PFT show that our interior OL play was actually below average. This is why we could not run the ball with any consistency. Kap and Gore do a lot to mask our running game consistency problems. Our running game against GB and Seattle in the playoffs was god awful and Kap basically willed us through the playoffs. I address the DL this year and next year don't be surprised to see us take an OG early.

The DL (meaning the NG and two DE's) group is faltering according to PFT. Our DL is not dominating like they need to for us to be successful. This is the truth, and I remedy that in this draft. Frankly, our defense is built on this group and it masks our DB deficiencies.

Ahmad Brooks also had a horrible year according to PFT. He is not rushing the passer very well at all. I think Ballke tries to move him after next year or the year after.

Our CB corps is need #1 by far and it just got worse because Culliver is likely gone, unless the reported facts turn out to be way off base. Hit and runs are a big deal even if he didn't hurt anyone greatly.

The need for a true slot CB is legitimate. The need for matchup CB's who are taller and bigger is legitimate in our division. I don't think Baalke adds to the safety position this year after the Bethea signing, but we could see a late draft pick there.

That being said, here you go:

I think the trades are realistic considering the depth in the draft this year, which should inflate later picks value compared to higher picks and the place where the player is taken is very realistic as well.

#30 Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech or Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (If Fuller is there I like his height and instincts over Verrett, but Verrett's quickness is unparalleled in this draft)
#35*Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
#56 Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
#62 Traded for #35
#76 Traded for #35
#94 Traded for 3rd next year and 4th this year
#100 Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
4a* Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State
4b Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (a pure bpa pick...he was the best CB at the Senior Bowl until he got hurt...worth a pick even though I took two cb's already)
5 Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM ]
Brooks had a horrible year? That news to me. If making second team all pro is horrible I'll take it.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
Brooks had a horrible year? That news to me.

This, I like PFT as much as the next person but you can't read into those rankings too much. Brooks was solid and played very well at times, not sure how he can blamed for much of anything.
His pass rush stats were horrible actually. I was very surprised about his stats as well.
Originally posted by bigwads:
His pass rush stats were horrible actually. I was very surprised about his stats as well.

8.5 sacks? I'll take it.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
8.5 sacks in the regular season, 4.5 sacks in the postseason. What's so horrible unless PFF is talking strictly QB pressures.

Solid mock though.
Please don't hijack the thread on a discussion about brooks.

I actually like brooks. He shows up in big games and big moments (even when the refs take away his glory). I am not looking to replace him by any means, but I could see baalke addressing his position in the next few years.
It took great restraint to wait this long for my first mock of the year. With the recent Culliver issue, things actually got clearer. I have listened to the debates on the board over the last few months and have not made a rash decision on any of the players or the strategy.

I believe I have a mock that is actually in line with something we may actually see Baalke do. Like others, I have weighed the options of drafting a WR high or even trading up for one of the big ones or even Cooks. The irony about the WR corps is that the position group is not even close to a "legitimate need" position, although, we all agree more speed and improvement in the area is greatly desirable.

I hope the Zone looks at the heart of the team Harbaugh wants, which actually faltered somewhat last year i.e. our OL and DL. The premium stats on PFT show that our interior OL play was actually below average. This is why we could not run the ball with any consistency. Kap and Gore do a lot to mask our running game consistency problems. Our running game against GB and Seattle in the playoffs was god awful and Kap basically willed us through the playoffs. I address the DL this year and next year don't be surprised to see us take an OG early.

The DL (meaning the NG and two DE's) group is faltering according to PFT. Our DL is not dominating like they need to for us to be successful. This is the truth, and I remedy that in this draft. Frankly, our defense is built on this group and it masks our DB deficiencies.

Ahmad Brooks also had a horrible year according to PFT. He is not rushing the passer very well at all. I think Ballke tries to move him after next year or the year after.

Our CB corps is need #1 by far and it just got worse because Culliver is likely gone, unless the reported facts turn out to be way off base. Hit and runs are a big deal even if he didn't hurt anyone greatly.

The need for a true slot CB is legitimate. The need for matchup CB's who are taller and bigger is legitimate in our division. I don't think Baalke adds to the safety position this year after the Bethea signing, but we could see a late draft pick there.

That being said, here you go:

I think the trades are realistic considering the depth in the draft this year, which should inflate later picks value compared to higher picks and the place where the player is taken is very realistic as well.

#30 Kyle Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech or Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (If Fuller is there I like his height and instincts over Verrett, but Verrett's quickness is unparalleled in this draft)
#35*Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
#56 Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
#62 Traded for #35
#76 Traded for #35
#94 Traded for 3rd next year and 4th this year
#100 Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
4a* Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State
4b Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (a pure bpa pick...he was the best CB at the Senior Bowl until he got hurt...worth a pick even though I took two cb's already)
5 Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State

I do not Like your Mock at All way too many CBs in the top and the trades are crazy..I like SOme of the picks But not in the order you have them,We Need a couple of recievers closer to the top of the Draft not that low....and don't we have 2 NTs already?
You might want to correct Fuller's position. Interesting mock though.

Edit...you caught it already! Good job!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:22 PM ]
If you don't want people to hijack your thread then don't say Brooks had a horrible year, in fact don't mention him at all and you won't get comments.

Good mock - don't like the trades.

Maybe Brooks didn't pass the stat test but he sure did pass the eye test. Nice mock, acquiring Fuller and Tuitt is awesome.
Please don't hijack the thread on a discussion about brooks.

I actually like brooks. He shows up in big games and big moments (even when the refs take away his glory). I am not looking to replace him by any means, but I could see baalke addressing his position in the next few years.

Look here, you already opened up the can of worms, the rest of us are just following your lead.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I do not Like your Mock at All way too many CBs in the top and the trades are crazy..I like SOme of the picks But not in the order you have them,We Need a couple of recievers closer to the top of the Draft not that low....and don't we have 2 NTs already?

I don't necessarily have a problem with the WR's, Herron adds the deep threat that this team needs and Janis gives them someone to develop. With Fuller or Verrett they add an instant starter in the secondary. As far as Tuitt goes, I'm definitely open to drafting a DL early, I just don't see the need to trade up for one, that would be my biggest qualm. Tuitt is a very nice talent but I don't think he's a transitional player where you give up a whole lot to acquire him because he'll turn your team around. This is a very deep draft in the middle rounds so as Jeff Fisher was saying a couple days ago, you could be looking at a potential starter even in the third round, giving up two of them to acquire a guy who'll be a backup on your team for awhile isn't something I'm much in favor of.

In terms of the CB situation, I'd definitely want to see one slot corner and one outside corner, Verrett and Jean-Baptiste works, Fuller and Jean-Baptiste, not so much, that's two cornerbacks who will struggle to defend the deep ball.

Colvin is a great pick period, you throw him on the IR, he doesn't cost you a roster spot, he's a legit 2nd-3rd round talent, saves you having to draft another cornerback early next season.

I would like to see a center added at some point during the draft, would also like to see an offensive guard, maybe a guy like Spencer Long who can be added, thrown on to the IR to have another potential player to replace Iupati with.

Beyond that, if the 49ers could walk out of the draft with Fuller or Verrett, Tuitt, Herron, Colvin and Janis, I wouldn't be mad. I'm not really a fan of Baptiste because I'm not entirely convinced that Fangio will move towards a more press-coverage oriented defense, without that I see Baptiste's career looking a lot more like Chris Cook's instead of Richard Sherman's.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, I like PFT as much as the next person but you can't read into those rankings too much. Brooks was solid and played very well at times, not sure how he can blamed for much of anything.

Originally posted by SFrush:
Brooks had a horrible year? That news to me. If making second team all pro is horrible I'll take it.

This! Brooks played well. He had to carry the load while Aldon was on leave and getting back into game shape, and having others trying to fill Aldons shoes. Brooks did fine under those circumstance. Stats are deceiving when you are just looking at numbers that don't show the whole picture.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If you don't want people to hijack your thread then don't say Brooks had a horrible year, in fact don't mention him at all and you won't get comments.

Good mock - don't like the trades.

You realize you can't have the mocks/picks, like the mock, but then not like the trades right?
Share 49ersWebzone