There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

a definite now..??

Originally posted by WildBill:
Gilbert is projected to go to Detroit at #10 and Dennard at 15 to Pitt by most pundits. So the niners are gonna need to give up a lot to get one of the two. Question is do you take a chance and give up that many picks on one player? Carlos Rogers was a top 10 pick and he was a decent player but nothing special. Like most, I too think we will need to definately draft two CBs now. Also Verret and Fuller are expected to go before the niners pick. I say pick Varret, although small, he is tenacious and doesn't let the wr get his hands on the ball easily, alway fighting to rip it out and always on the opponents hip-his biggest issue will be durability. The second DB I think should be picked in possibly the 3rd is EJ Gaines, a lot of people like the wr Evans and he is projected to go to the rams, Gaines pretty much shut him down when they met.

Tuitt is gonna have to learn the system and battle for starting time-also Fangio prefers experience guys over rookies and unless they have no choice like reid, Tuittis not going to get much chances to make an impact.

Although Aldon didn't start in 2011, he did play a significant amount of time. A talent like Tuitt could be in a similar position. I do recognize that we don't absolutely have to take a DE, but I think the best combination of a talented DE and a corner would come from taking Tuitt in the first and a player like Pierre Desir or LaMarcus Joyner in the second. They can even go back to CB again in the third if necessary and let the best men win the two starting spots.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well it's a definite:

Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Kyle Fuller
Jason Verrett

Anyone of these CB's will do.....I just want one!!!!.....two would be frickin amazing and could give a sh!t if Culliver is suspended for the year.

Verrett and Fuller and call it a draft.





If not those two then give me Verrett and Breeland, or Fuller and Joyner, or Fuller and Desir, or Verrett and Desir, or Fuller and Watkins, or Verrett, Watkins and Colvin(IR). BOOM.

A scenario with Fuller and Verrett seems very realistic IMO....cause anything is possible in the draft!!!

Scenario #1 - 49ers stand firm with the 30th pick and take Kyle Fuller, somehow Verrett slides due to his height (somewhat very unlikely), 9ers trade up to the top of the 2nd round and take Verrett!!!!

Scenario #2 - 49ers trade up to the 20th pick and take Kyle Fuller (dudes stock is rising like crazy), 49ers then trade back into the 1st round and take Jason Verrett!!!!

So many possibilities Baalke can strengthen or revamp the secondary with this draft, it's just crazy....will we (fans) see a 1981 secondary reborn??!!!!!!

I've seen so many bag on Chris Cook (myself included), he reminds me kind of like Dwight Hicks who didn't seem to have a chance to start on a team till the 9ers picked him up. Of course expectations weren't as high as Cooks was, but a change of scenery did him some good and hopefully it will for Cook too.

Sounds pretty far fetched to me. One of them we can grab, but both? Don't see it.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Does anyone think this is all the more reason we should go with Tuitt at 30 if he is available? I honestly don't think a corner short of Gilbert or Dennard is going to make as much of a difference as a strong, 2011 level pass rush. Did anyone notice the availability of top good to elite level corners that were free agents this year? Clearly CB is not where its at. Take Tuitt with the first, Desir or Joyner with our own second.


ill be honest I was thinking that before..our front 7 basically made an old slow footed Carlos Rogers into a good CB..i think our front 7 clearly disguised our weekness in the secondary..but I also think having Gilbert who I personally think will be a great player for years will be amazing..finally a young secondary..except Bethea..

I can't knock taking Gilbert. But to me, unless its Gilbert or Dennard, they should still take Tuitt if he's available.

I might agree if we didn't already have a young, 1st round talent, pass rushing DE coming in already that we drafted last year. With Tank joining the roster and all the other DEs back, how much impact would a guy like Tuitt be? With Cowboy and Ray Mac ahead of them in the lineup he would be our 3rd or 4th DE (if they beat out TJE)

DE just isn't nearly as big of a need as CB or WR IMO, the Culliver situation amplifies the need to draft a corner, not a DE a position we are already deep at.
We now are forced to pick up at least 2 corners in this draft unless our project guys have a breakout year, which has happened before (Brock). My favorites are Jason Verrett and Jaylen Watkins at this point. They are both ballhawking playmakers whenever they are on the field. It'd be interesting to see them all on the same field.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Here's my latest mock, before this happened, back on the 23rd.

http://pigskinprospects.com/jasons-1st-post-combine-post-free-agency-frenzy-1-round-mock-3-23-14/

Verrett at 30. Some will kill me, Tuitt at 32 to Seattle.

Aaron Donald at 31? He's a monster and a top 15 talent. He's my favorite DL (Clowney aside) in this draft.
Don't forget Carlos Rogers. He's still out there. l doubt the FO and coaches will want two rookies (CB and slot cover) in the secondary. Even the lineup when Ronnie Lott was a rookie was desperate because of the lack of anybody already on the team who could play.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I might agree if we didn't already have a young, 1st round talent, pass rushing DE coming in already that we drafted last year. With Tank joining the roster and all the other DEs back, how much impact would a guy like Tuitt be? With Cowboy and Ray Mac ahead of them in the lineup he would be our 3rd or 4th DE (if they beat out TJE)

DE just isn't nearly as big of a need as CB or WR IMO, the Culliver situation amplifies the need to draft a corner, not a DE a position we are already deep at.

Agreed. We've essentially already got a 1st round rookie pass rusher coming in.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Does anyone think this is all the more reason we should go with Tuitt at 30 if he is available? I honestly don't think a corner short of Gilbert or Dennard is going to make as much of a difference as a strong, 2011 level pass rush. Did anyone notice the availability of top good to elite level corners that were free agents this year? Clearly CB is not where its at. Take Tuitt with the first, Desir or Joyner with our own second.


ill be honest I was thinking that before..our front 7 basically made an old slow footed Carlos Rogers into a good CB..i think our front 7 clearly disguised our weekness in the secondary..but I also think having Gilbert who I personally think will be a great player for years will be amazing..finally a young secondary..except Bethea..

I can't knock taking Gilbert. But to me, unless its Gilbert or Dennard, they should still take Tuitt if he's available.

I might agree if we didn't already have a young, 1st round talent, pass rushing DE coming in already that we drafted last year. With Tank joining the roster and all the other DEs back, how much impact would a guy like Tuitt be? With Cowboy and Ray Mac ahead of them in the lineup he would be our 3rd or 4th DE (if they beat out TJE)

DE just isn't nearly as big of a need as CB or WR IMO, the Culliver situation amplifies the need to draft a corner, not a DE a position we are already deep at.

You are right that it isn't a glaring need like CB. However adding a player like Tuitt gives us 4 starting caliber DEs which we can rotate regularly and keep everyone fresh. Remember how our defensive line made our secondary look in 2011? A strong line up front can mask a lot. And although I think our defensive line is still strong, two of the guys are on the decline (Ray McDonald and Justin Smith). And as much as I like TJE, I think Tuitt will beat him out. We can still get a good corner in the second round (this draft is deep with corners). It's not the same at defensive end. Not only that, but I think I'd almost be sick to my stomach if Seattle were to draft Tuitt at 32, which would make a lot of sense for them.

I also want to emphasize that I prefer to go DE, WR, CB with our first three picks, but I won't be mad at all if they took Verrett or this best corner available in the first.

I will also say that I normally don't advocate for this, but would anyone be willing to trade a pick next year to try and get both?
2 CB, 2 WR

1 CB in UDFA
Originally posted by jersey49er:
considering the stupid bonehead retarded felony arrest Chris Culliver had this morning every1 is saying he will be released within 48 hours..so does all
this mean we will definitely move up for either Gilbert or Dennard..? I was hoping we would before Cully got into this ridiculously stupid situation..

My guess is a corner and WR in the first two rounds.

We can guess all day who but I have no idea.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,700
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well it's a definite:

Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Kyle Fuller
Jason Verrett

Anyone of these CB's will do.....I just want one!!!!.....two would be frickin amazing and could give a sh!t if Culliver is suspended for the year.

Verrett and Fuller and call it a draft.





If not those two then give me Verrett and Breeland, or Fuller and Joyner, or Fuller and Desir, or Verrett and Desir, or Fuller and Watkins, or Verrett, Watkins and Colvin(IR). BOOM.

A scenario with Fuller and Verrett seems very realistic IMO....cause anything is possible in the draft!!!

Scenario #1 - 49ers stand firm with the 30th pick and take Kyle Fuller, somehow Verrett slides due to his height (somewhat very unlikely), 9ers trade up to the top of the 2nd round and take Verrett!!!!

Scenario #2 - 49ers trade up to the 20th pick and take Kyle Fuller (dudes stock is rising like crazy), 49ers then trade back into the 1st round and take Jason Verrett!!!!

So many possibilities Baalke can strengthen or revamp the secondary with this draft, it's just crazy....will we (fans) see a 1981 secondary reborn??!!!!!!

I've seen so many bag on Chris Cook (myself included), he reminds me kind of like Dwight Hicks who didn't seem to have a chance to start on a team till the 9ers picked him up. Of course expectations weren't as high as Cooks was, but a change of scenery did him some good and hopefully it will for Cook too.

Sounds pretty far fetched to me. One of them we can grab, but both? Don't see it.

It's possible I'll tell you that, but I also don't see it happening. Maybe Fuller and McGill, or Verrett and Jean-Baptiste is more realistic.
My favorite CB targets:

- Dennard - most balanced CB in this class
- Verrett - not a skeptic on his size, excellent cover corner
- Fuller - really like his upside and ability to play the run
- Joyner - ideal nickel and could terrorize on blitzes
- Robertson - good cover skills and always seems to be in position to knock the ball away
- Colvin - thin, but solid in run support. May have the best hands of all the DBs coming out.

Edit:
Left off Jean-Baptiste - physical, run stopper that could thrive as long as he has help over the top
Desir - developmental guy with potential down the road
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by jersey49er:
considering the stupid bonehead retarded felony arrest Chris Culliver had this morning every1 is saying he will be released within 48 hours..so does all
this mean we will definitely move up for either Gilbert or Dennard..? I was hoping we would before Cully got into this ridiculously stupid situation..


i dont see any way they release him. I believe he clouded his long term future with the team. Kyle Fuller looks pretty good at 30
My favorite cornerback in this draft is Dennard by far, but like a few have posted, I'd rather take Tuitt in the first round.

Trade up in the early second, hopefully for Jordan Matthews and hopefully Moncrief is available with our next second round pick.

I hope we draft EJ and Phillip Gaines in the 3rd to 5th rounds and I think one of them could at least be starting material within the next 1-2 years.
am going to keep it realistic with the picks we've got without assuming any trades(that sh!t is so hard to predict. although some may argue that's what's fun about presuming trades). I would like to see atleast 2 of them from round 1-4

  1. K. Fuller
  2. B. Roby
  3. M. Roberson
  4. J. Watkins
  5. L. Purifoy
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Mar 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM ]