LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

• pfizz
i would still take him in the 1st even with what happened to cully. there isn't anyone in the draft after him that i would feel comfortable going against percy harvin in the slot from day 1. this guy isn't limited to just the slot but the naysayers wont believe it until he is out in the NFL making plays which he will be doing. although different DB role this all reminds me of the earl thomas debate i had years ago. i was in love with the guy because of his amazing instincts, insane closing speed and how fluid he was. very similar athletes and we all saw how he turned out.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
The last number (the 4) is for 1/8s of an inch.

He is 5 feet 9 4/8 inches which is identical to 5 feet 9 1/2 inches.

He is not five feet and nine and four-tenths of an inch.

Link!

JK!
I don't know that I've seen more hyperbole regarding any other player in the draft than this guy.

He is fast though, but his height is a serious issue.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 29, 2014 at 6:38 AM ]
I think it's a great sign about the ability of Jason Verrett that the ONLY argument people can come up with against taking him is his height, essentially conceding the fact that the guy can cover and can cover very well . He's my pick if we can't get one of the better DEs available. I still believe try to create more chaos up front will help us more than putting two rookies and the secondary. But no one can make a serious argument against the ability of Verrett as a starter on the outside or as our slot corner (still a starter).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think it's a great sign about the ability of Jason Verrett that the ONLY argument people can come up with against taking him is his height, essentially conceding the fact that the guy can cover and can cover very well . He's my pick if we can't get one of the better DEs available. I still believe try to create more chaos up front will help us more than putting two rookies and the secondary. But no one can make a serious argument against the ability of Verrett as a starter on the outside or as our slot corner (still a starter).

Good post!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Link!

JK!

funny man.

I was hoping that I would not need to look for one.
Why is an inch matter so much? 5'9 is not ok but 5'10 is? If he has the talent and have potentials to be great at his position, why not draft the guy? The 49ers are in need of a tough and can hold his own nickel CB than can go against players like Harvin and Austin.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Link!

JK!

funny man.

I was hoping that I would not need to look for one.

You have been posting fantastic links so thought I'd give you a hard time! LOL!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1.) He's a tough, smart and fast CB who immediately becomes your starting nickel corner (notice the word "starter")
2.) He has the ability to eventually transition outside as well because he plays taller than 5'9"
3.) Even with this push for bigger CBs, height is becoming more and more overrated (2 of the top 4 vote getters for 2013 defensive player of the year are "undersized", Earl Thomas and Robert Mathis)

Ghost,
I know that Verrett has been described as aggressive. How is he on run support? Would he consistently tackle M. Lynch one-on-one?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Also, I'm failing to understand how Verrett is way ahead of Baptise in terms of contribution. Didn't Verrett just heal up from shoulder surgery? A guy with his frame needs to stay healthy or else that injury will be exposed time and time again. Also, I don't think Verrett would beat out Cook for a starting job, I don't think Baptise is either but I'd still rather have him learning our defense than Verrett. Plus if things don't pan out for Baptise he has the size to play SS. Baptise is versatile, Verrett is not.

What exactly is your basis for him not being able to beat out Cook ?

And Verrett might have had an even better 2013 campaign than he did had he not played through most of the year with that torn labrum (he tore it in the 3rd game and only missed 1 game due to it). Then he went and performed at the combine with that sucker still torn. He exudes toughness, and playing through that injury when he could have had surgery, it shows his desire to be out there and help his team win football games. That coupled with what he did on the field is contribution.

As far as versatility goes, not only has it been mentioned here, but every pundit has said the same thing, Verrett can play inside or out as a corner. That is versatility, even if you won't recognize it. Your opinion does not change facts. Having the size to play another position does not make one versatile.

Originally posted by Quest4six:
I agree 100% here.
I think we are arguing on two different ideas, I'm arguing that I don't want him because I don't think he will be a starting CB over Culliver or Brock someday. In fact, I don't ever see him lining up as a starting CB for us. But as a routine slot CB, I would love him there, just not with a first round pick.

Again, what is your basis that he cannot beat out Brock at some point for the starting job outside ? Brock went from UDFA to being developed into a starting corner with less hype and a half inch to an inch in height. Verrett has a ceiling that is by far and large much much greater than Brock's, thus if he develops there is no reason to believe that he won't challenge Brock for his starting spot outside.

You cannot challenge the point based on the IF's factor because Baptiste is in the same boat with IF's as is every prospect in the draft.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Mar 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM ]

Has the turned into the Angry Inch conversation?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Has the turned into the Angry Inch conversation?

Okay, here's the Cliff Notes. If you're 5'10, you can be an NFL starting cornerback and play pretty much anywhere. If you're 5'9 1/2 you're a s**tty little manlet and may God have mercy upon you.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Okay, here's the Cliff Notes. If you're 5'10, you can be an NFL starting cornerback and play pretty much anywhere. If you're 5'9 1/2 you're a s**tty little manlet and may God have mercy upon you.

Next up comes the "football is a game of inches" argument.
Here's a 5'9 guy that can play outside!

Originally posted by 15crabtree:
what is the obsession with verrett ,especially with the receiver in our division ????????????

no but we would love Kyle Fuller at 30
Share 49ersWebzone