LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think if you want to criticize a player, it has to be more substantial than "lol, won't play, too short." There's nothing I've seen in Verrett's game that tells me that his height will be a hindrance to him as far as playing in the slot. He routinely bodied up against bigger receivers in college and did well against guys like Beckham, who at 5'11" is at an apparently insurmountable height, but somehow Verrett managed. He also held his own against a much bigger guy in Goodley who is about 5'10" and 215.

Nobody is saying that Verrett is going to defend Calvin Johnson in the NFL, but he could make a career out of defending smaller, quicker slot receivers. How many times do you see guys in the slot going up top as as compared to simply beating coverage and getting wide open to make a catch? If Verrett can lock down slot receivers, then he's worth a 1st round pick and then some for the 49ers.

When the 49ers played the Titans this year, which receiver gave them the most trouble? Nate Washington, Justin Hunter or Kendall Wright? It was Wright, a smaller, quicker receiver who also gave the Seattle secondary fits. You need someone to defend those guys, Verrett is ideal for doing just that.

I agree 100% here.
I think we are arguing on two different ideas, I'm arguing that I don't want him because I don't think he will be a starting CB over Culliver or Brock someday. In fact, I don't ever see him lining up as a starting CB for us. But as a routine slot CB, I would love him there, just not with a first round pick.
  • pfizz
Originally posted by Quest4six:
This is highly inaccurate
The difference is arm length is about the difference between these two dots . .

Also, Dennard is 5'11 whereas Verrett is barely 5'9

highly innaccurate? No actually not inaccurate at all. you just said youself his arms are infact longer... whether it's two dots or two miles they are infact LONGER.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM ]
I agree 100% here.
I think we are arguing on two different ideas, I'm arguing that I don't want him because I don't think he will be a starting CB over Culliver or Brock someday. In fact, I don't ever see him lining up as a starting CB for us. But as a routine slot CB, I would love him there, just not with a first round pick.

A slot CB is basically a starting CB in this defense, go look at how many snaps Rogers had. A better performance in the slot might have meant the 49ers going to the Superbowl in 2011 instead of Cruz roasting them. A slot CB pretty much is a starter in a pass happy league, more and more teams are going into spread looks and you need to have a high quality slot corner, that's exactly what Verrett represents. He's someone you can plug in from Day 1.

The problem is your thinking is old-fashioned, you're looking at a slot corner as a guy who barely gets any playing time when the 49ers spent a great deal of time in the nickel or even dime defenses. Against Green Bay in the playoffs, they were in the nickel and dime defense for every single snap defensively but two.

A weakness in defending the slot isn't any better than having a weakness in defending on the outside, especially when your division is filling up with fast, explosive slot receivers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM ]
A slot CB is basically a starting CB in this defense, go look at how many snaps Rogers had. A better performance in the slot might have meant the 49ers going to the Superbowl in 2011 instead of Cruz roasting them. A slot CB pretty much is a starter in a pass happy league, more and more teams are going into spread looks and you need to have a high quality slot corner, that's exactly what Verrett represents. He's someone you can plug in from Day 1.

The problem is your thinking is old-fashioned, you're looking at a slot corner as a guy who barely gets any playing time when the 49ers spent a great deal of time in the nickel or even dime defenses. Against Green Bay in the playoffs, they were in the nickel and dime defense for every single snap defensively but two.

A weakness in defending the slot isn't any better than having a weakness in defending on the outside, especially when your division is filling up with fast, explosive slot receivers.

I agree that we our defense is changing. I am also aware of Rogers getting more playing time in the nickel because I watched him get beat play after play in that stupid NFC champ game.
I think our argument started off on the wrong foot.
Let me just say this so we can finish this,
I would not mind having Jason Verrett, the 5'9 cornerback out of TCU, be the starting slot CB for the San Fransisco 49ers...

Although I wouldn't take him with our first pick
I agree that we our defense is changing. I am also aware of Rogers getting more playing time in the nickel because I watched him get beat play after play in that stupid NFC champ game.
I think our argument started off on the wrong foot.
Let me just say this so we can finish this,
I would not mind having Jason Verrett, the 5'9 cornerback out of TCU, be the starting slot CB for the San Fransisco 49ers...

Although I wouldn't take him with our first pick

The reality is that Verrett might not even be there for the 49ers first pick. If he was 5'11", he'd be the first CB off the board. For most of the season I didn't think the 49ers would have a chance to draft him. If they do, to me its basically a no-brainer. An instant impact guy who would come in, get starter level snaps and help shore up on of the biggest weaknesses in the secondary.

It would also make me feel a lot better about the 49ers going up against the Percy Harvin's and Kendall Wright's of the NFL. If Verrett is there, I think he makes a bigger positive impact on this team with his playmaking ability then anyone else they could possibly draft at #30.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Verrett is BARLEY 5'9

Barely??

At the combine Verrett measured in at 5-9 1/2.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/
Originally posted by pfizz:
highly innaccurate? No actually not inaccurate at all. you just said youself his arms are infact longer... whether it's two dots or two miles they are infact LONGER.

True, I originally posted this while in the middle of debating with Phoenix, my bad.
I think the difference between the two in exact measurements is about 1/4 of an inch.
Verrett's arms are longer.
Originally posted by buck:
Barely??

At the combine Verrett measured in at 5-9 1/2.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/

Actually to be specific,
It was 5ft 9.4 inches

.4 is closer to 5'8 than 5'10
I may have used the word "barely" loosely here but again closer to 5'8 than 5'10

Also, if you check his height on TCU website they list him at 5'10 lol
http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jason_verrett_748387.html
Actually to be specific,
It was 5ft 9.4 inches

I may have used the word "barely" loosely here but again closer to 5'8 than 5'10

You realize Tramaine Brock measured in at just slightly under 5'10" so there's less than a half inch difference between him and Verrett, right?
Justin Gilbert vs Antwan Goodley-118 yards.

Jason Verrett vs Antwan Goodley-12 yards.

You realize Tramaine Brock measured in at just slightly under 5'10" so there's less than a half inch difference between him and Verrett, right?

I thought Brock was above 5'10?

Watched this vid and the other one you posted, although they are pretty much the same thing.
Looks great, seems like he reads the QB better than any other CB in this draft, has AMAZING closing speed, dang that guy can disrupt a catch also.
There were some areas in there though where it looked like he lost position going up for the ball, or coming off the line, also the thought of him trying to tackle runners like Lynch or Lacy makes me cringe.
But we produce hard hitters so hopefully if we do pick him up we bulk up his frame a bit.
Wouldn't have a problem with us picking him up... Still not first round though
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM ]
I thought Brock was above 5'10?

Watched this vid and the other one you posted, although they are pretty much the same thing.
Looks great, seems like he reads the QB better than any other CB in this draft, has AMAZING closing speed, dang that guy can disrupt a catch also.
There were some areas in there though where it looked like he lost position going up for the ball, or coming off the line, also the thought of him trying to tackle runners like Lynch or Lacy makes me cringe.
But we produce hard hitters so hopefully if we do pick him up we bulk up his frame a bit.
Wouldn't have a problem with us picking him up... Still not first round though

Hahaha thats just me.
99% of the reason I am saying that is because Cully is an idiot and now we need an outside CB.
If Cully didn't F%&* up I would have no problem taking Verrett in the first round as our starting slot...

That better?
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM ]
Hahaha thats just me.
99% of the reason I am saying that is because Cully is an idiot and now we need an outside CB.
If Cully didn't F%&* up I would have no problem taking Verrett in the first round as our starting slot...

That better?

I still don't have a problem with them taking Verrett, the only difference is that now they essentially need two starters at CB, not one. We know they're going to spend a lot of time in the nickel formation and I don't think you can slack off on either position really. If they could get both Fuller and Verrett, that would eliminate the problem mostly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Actually to be specific,
It was 5ft 9.4 inches

The last number (the 4) is for 1/8s of an inch.

He is 5 feet 9 4/8 inches which is identical to 5 feet 9 1/2 inches.

He is not five feet and nine and four-tenths of an inch.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone