There are 142 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

• pfizz
Originally posted by DeUh:
And now think about a 6´3" corner lining up against Percy Harvin or Tavon Austin.

EXACTLY!

Who do we play more often Tavon Austin/ Percy Harvin or Alshon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall? Verrett would extremely effective and important in our division.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by pfizz:
EXACTLY!

Who do we play more often Tavon Austin/ Percy Harvin or Alshon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall?

After all the times the 49ers have been burned by slot receivers over the past few seasons, I'm amazed that people still apparently don't get it.

Had they been able to better contain Victor Cruz in the NFC Championship Game in 2011, they could have been looking at playing the Patriots instead of staying at home. Had they had someone who could have kept up with Jacoby Jones step for step, they could be looking at going for 7th Superbowl, not a 6th. Had they had a true playmaker out there defending on 4th down vs Jermaine Kearse, instead of Rogers, that might have been an incomplete pass or even been intercepted.

I could care less about height, I want to see playmakers in the secondary period. To me Verrett is a pure playmaker, he's always deflecting passes, he plays the ball very well in the air. I think he's an ideal fit for getting this team to the next level and perfect for sticking with guys like Harvin and Cruz and shutting them down. He consistently performed well, even against bigger receivers. After Gilbert and Dennard, I see him as the best talent at CB, if he were about another 2 inches taller we'd be talking about him as the top cornerback in this draft period.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
With so many Hall of Fame players and perennial Pro Bowlers of various shapes and sizes, it amazes me that people focus so much on height when it comes to playing football. This isn't the NBA.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1.) He's a tough, smart and fast CB who immediately becomes your starting nickel corner (notice the word "starter")
2.) He has the ability to eventually transition outside as well because he plays taller than 5'9"
3.) Even with this push for bigger CBs, height is becoming more and more overrated (2 of the top 4 vote getters for 2013 defensive player of the year are "undersized", Earl Thomas and Robert Mathis)

Well said, Ghost.

In our division, it will help to have someone who can match up with Harvin and Tavon Austin.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I AGree with you. I never was crazy about this dude. I pray to God the 49ers don't draft this dude or that other short dude from FSU. Gimmie a 5'11 or taller CB

How tall was the QB who won the Superbowl last year? At a position where 6'2" is considered short.

He is talking about a Corner back
Not a quarter back

Also, nobody cares about that QB who won the superbowl last year,
As I am confident any starting QB from any NFL would have won that game.
Wilson is a glorified game manager.

The point is most talent evaluators would tell you that a QB that short probably wouldn't even be able to be a decent back up and he plays pretty well for them.

There are plenty of examples at every position in the NFL of great players who didn't have the prototypical size to play their position who were great. Even at CB. If Verrett is a great player his lack of height won't kill us. Especially if we line him up against speed receivers or in the slot. How many times in a game do you see a slot CB have to fight a receiver for a jump ball? If he is a great player he can help us. If he isn't it doesn't matter how tall he is.

Would I mind if he was taller? Of course not. I also wouldn't mind if Crabtree was faster. We are going to have to look for a CB who can handle the slot and we are going to need a CB who can line up against big receivers on the outside and maybe even 2 now that Culliver has pissed away his life. If Verrett is there at #30 I would consider taking him depending on who else is still available. I wouldn't move up for him but I would greatly consider him at #30.
Originally posted by SaksV:
With so many Hall of Fame players and perennial Pro Bowlers of various shapes and sizes, it amazes me that people focus so much on height when it comes to playing football. This isn't the NBA.

It's the obsession with Seattle's secondary, the flavor of the month, that somehow you can only get by with bigger cornerback's. The level of hyperbole that I see is amazing. Verrett is 5'9" and 189 and somehow he's more frail than a guy who's 2 or 3 inches taller but weighs basically the exact same amount. I think when you get too obsessed with size and measurables, you start to lose focus as to what is really important. I could understand if a CB is 5'6" or something and weighs 160 pounds but its gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

Some people seem to be happy to take a much lesser player who has the size they like rather than the better, more talented player overall. Each team in the division is going to be throwing some speedy, vertical threats at the 49ers this upcoming season. Guys like Harvin, Ginn, Austin, not to mention Baldwin who somehow always manages to get open against this defense. I'd like to see a cornerback who doesn't get caught flat-footed so often on comeback's.

Look at the 1:25 mark of this video and see Verrett playing against Beckham and more than holding his own against a future 1st round pick.

Look at the 2:20 mark, how many times have you seen 49ers DB's get beat on that exact route, Verrett gets caught too far behind but makes up the distance in a hurry and prevents the completion.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's the obsession with Seattle's secondary, the flavor of the month, that somehow you can only get by with bigger cornerback's. The level of hyperbole that I see is amazing. Verrett is 5'9" and 189 and somehow he's more frail than a guy who's 2 or 3 inches taller but weighs basically the exact same amount. I think when you get too obsessed with size and measurables, you start to lose focus as to what is really important. I could understand if a CB is 5'6" or something and weighs 160 pounds but its gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

Some people seem to be happy to take a much lesser player who has the size they like rather than the better, more talented player overall. Each team in the division is going to be throwing some speedy, vertical threats at the 49ers this upcoming season. Guys like Harvin, Ginn, Austin, not to mention Baldwin who somehow always manages to get open against this defense. I'd like to see a cornerback who doesn't get caught flat-footed so often on comeback's.

Look at the 1:25 mark of this video and see Verrett playing against Beckham and more than holding his own against a future 1st round pick.

Look at the 2:20 mark, how many times have you seen 49ers DB's get beat on that exact route, Verrett gets caught too far behind but makes up the distance in a hurry and prevents the completion.

Nice post. I agree 100%.

To me, the biggest positive about size is durability. Bigger players tend to be more durable. But I would much rather have an undersized player that is highly skilled, than a giant neanderthal type.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM ]
  • pfizz
his arms are LONGER than darqueze dennard whos size nobody complains about. i'll take verrett's buttery fluiditiy, ball targeting skills, excellent anticipation and lightning quick makeup speed please. this guy just oozes instincts.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nice post. I agree 100%.

To me, the biggest positive about size is durability. Bigger players tend to be more durable. But I would much rather have an undersized skill player, than a giant neanderthal type.

For his height I don't think Verrett is that undersized either, he's 189, Fuller who is 2 inches taller, is 190, so there's a pound difference between the two.

Verrett played in 37 total games at TCU, the insinuation that he's somehow frail or injury prone doesn't make sense at all. He suffered a shoulder injury that a lot of other players have had, certainly I don't remember people saying that Dee Milliner was frail but he had the exact same injury. During his 3 seasons at TCU he's been immensely productive, one of the best cornerbacks in college consistently, year in and year out.

People bring up his size as a negative in comparison to other players but seemingly forget that he's got far better lateral movement and quickness than most of the cornerbacks that he is getting compared to, and better overall deep speed to recover in case he gets beat. There's pro's and con's to every player and looking at Verrett and his total body of work, his positives far outweigh the negatives.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM ]
The guys listing Terrell Buckley obviously didn't watch him play. Because he was a bust. In part because he was too small and too short. He would get muscled around on every play. WR's would just go up and get it even if he was on them.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
For his height I don't think Verrett is that undersized either, he's 189, Fuller who is 2 inches taller, is 190, so there's a pound difference between the two.

Verrett played in 37 total games at TCU, the insinuation that he's somehow frail or injury prone doesn't make sense at all. He suffered a shoulder injury that a lot of other players have had, certainly I don't remember people saying that Dee Milliner was frail but he had the exact same injury. During his 3 seasons at TCU he's been immensely productive, one of the best cornerbacks in college consistently, year in and year out.

People bring up his size as a negative in comparison to other players but seemingly forget that he's got far better lateral movement and quickness than most of the cornerbacks that he is getting compared to, and better overall deep speed to recover in case he gets beat. There's pro's and con's to every player and looking at Verrett and his total body of work, his positives far outweigh the negatives.

Yup. Verrett's height is a non-issue for me. Tramaine Brock is only 1/2 an inch taller, he's a hair under 5'10", and he didn't seem to have any problems lining up outside or playing the ball last year. Some guys just know how to play. Verrett looks like a baller. He excels in most every aspect of the game, he just isn't the 6'0" prototype people obsess over. I don't know anything about his injury history, but a few dings here and there don't bother me. Everyone has those.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The guys listing Terrell Buckley obviously didn't watch him play. Because he was a bust. In part because he was too small and too short. He would get muscled around on every play. WR's would just go up and get it even if he was on them.

Brandon Boykin of the Iggles, 5'10", 183 pounds, makes Verrett look absurdly well built, was the best performer on a lousy secondary, had 6 interceptions and was dominant in the slot. He had more interceptions this past season than all of the other cornerbacks taken before him in the draft. That includes "big" cornerbacks like Dre Kirkpatrick(6'2", 190), Stephen Gilmore(6'1", 190), Morris Claiborne(5'11", 190) and Janoris Jenkins(5'10", 198).

A good slot corner is invaluable in a division with threats such as Harvin among others. Those occasions where Rogers was just a step too slow and a dollar short, someone with much better quickness and speed could have been a difference maker. If you're looking to defend smaller, quicker receivers, you want a smaller, quicker defensive back.

The one weakness that Seattle had in the secondary was against smaller, quicker receivers. TY Hilton basically tore them a new one since he was too quick and moved off the line too fast for them to grab a hold of. They had similar issues with guys such as Jarius Wright and Kendall Wright. You need a balance in the secondary ultimately. The 49ers clearly need a quality slot corner, they also need someone to develop on the outside.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM ]
Earl Thomas is short too!
Funny how a anti Verrett thread turned out to be a positive thread I'm glad to see people want him on this team as much as i do.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nice post. I agree 100%.

To me, the biggest positive about size is durability. Bigger players tend to be more durable. But I would much rather have an undersized player that is highly skilled, than a giant neanderthal type.

Proper conditioning and diet ensures durability, not size/mass.
Share 49ersWebzone