LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I wouldnt mind drafting him just dont like tha idea of spending a 1st round pick on a nickel CB ..... Rather have a future starter like Fuller at #30 or trade back into tha 2nd round(between 38-45) pick get a future pick N draft Tuitt ...

30th overall pick is almost a 2nd rounder, with the benefit of that 5th year team option. If Baalke/Harbaugh believe he can push hard for the top nickel corner position, I think it's great value. The only reason he'll be available that late is his height; other than the matter of 1-2 inches, he's a top CB talent.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I wouldnt mind drafting him just dont like tha idea of spending a 1st round pick on a nickel CB ..... Rather have a future starter like Fuller at #30 or trade back into tha 2nd round(between 38-45) pick get a future pick N draft Tuitt ...

30th overall pick is almost a 2nd rounder, with the benefit of that 5th year team option. If Baalke/Harbaugh believe he can push hard for the top nickel corner position, I think it's great value. The only reason he'll be available that late is his height; other than the matter of 1-2 inches, he's a top CB talent.

I understand tha value of having a 5th yr but again he'll just be a nickel N or slot CB ...I'm sure we can find someine in a later round to man tha slot .... N with tha newz of Culliver getting in trouble we may need a starting type CB now ...
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I understand tha value of having a 5th yr but again he'll just be a nickel N or slot CB ...I'm sure we can find someine in a later round to man tha slot .... N with tha newz of Culliver getting in trouble we may need a starting type CB now ...

I would throw Jaylen Watkins into the discussion. Aside from Verrett I would be very happy with him in the slot.
  • evil
  • Veteran

He has the potential to steal Brock's spot from as early as his sophomore season. You draft him because he can compete for the nickel role as a rookie and push for an outside spot in year 2.
Originally posted by DeUh:

I would throw Jaylen Watkins into the discussion. Aside from Verrett I would be very happy with him in the slot.

I like J.Watkins also hopefully he's around at #61 or a great value at #77....
So, San Diego, you wouldn't want one of the fastest, toughest CB's in this draft, eh. Even it he had the potential to be the next Daryl Green? Ok, that might be a bit of a stretch, but the point is it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. There have been many shorter CB's in NFL history who've been great players. Who else would you want to cover Harvin, Austin or any of the smaller, very fast WR's in the NFC West? The answer is we don't have such a CB, so it makes all the sense in the world to grab Verrett.
Ok w/ Cully getting arrested, we're definitely getting a CB with the first pick….right?
They want him because they want to continue to be torched. They never learn. This defense is going to go downhill fast if they don't get the right players. Justin Smith is on his last legs. Willis is getting up there. Bowman is going to be out for quite a while. Our defensive coordinator hates to rotate players in. They better be careful.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
what is the obsession with verrett ,especially with the receiver in our division ????????????

Because Seattle has Sherman and once had Browner, everyone thinks the answer is a 6'3" corner. Most corner are small guys but this small guy in particular is a baller. Niners lack a slot corner and right now, it appears he'll be on the board at 30. Not to mention that they will have to make some serious trades to move down in the teens to take Dennard or Gilbert. Also those guys are pure outside corners and until Cully's recent troubles, the Niners needed a slot corner.

Now that Cully's got into some trouble, the 49ers may look at trading down to snag Dennard or Gilbert but if not, Verrett or Fuller SHOULD be who we draft at 30! Also there are bigger corners, Desir of Lindenwood and McGill of Utah, that'll be there later in the draft.
Verrett's man coverage is second to none in this draft. I like Roby more because Roby's more violent, but Verrett is better than Tyrann Mattheiu IMO.

All I can say about Verrett is that he plays a lot bigger than he is. That guy knocks down more passes than any corner I see in the draft. And he can tackle. Remember, Daryll Green was 5-8 and he knocked down a heck of a lot of passes thrown at tall guys like Michael Irvin. Would I rather have Justin Gilbert? Sure. But Verrett looks like a starting corner to me.
How has Baptise not been mentioned in this thread.
Stanley Jean Baptise,
In my opinion one of the most underrated CB in the draft.
6'3 230 insane vertical and is a converted WR.
Sound familiar?
Tavon Austin, Percy Harvin, Stedman Bailey and he has potential to be a shutdown #2.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I AGree with you. I never was crazy about this dude. I pray to God the 49ers don't draft this dude or that other short dude from FSU. Gimmie a 5'11 or taller CB

I agree. With these taller receivers, I'd rather have the extra 2 inches.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/176849-stanley-jean-baptiste-cb-nebraska/search=Stanley

This thread needs to be visited by many of you.
Share 49ersWebzone