LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by WildBill:
The one quality they both have is that they are tenacious, but yes Verret has better measurables than Tyranne.

Will a guy with these numbers really be around #30?

If, and only if, the general managers in the league are mesmerized by height, and appalled by shortness.

We can always hope.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DeUh:
This. Thanks for putting it the right way !

If you read the whole thread you would see that it was not a diss against Verrett.

It was a respond to Phoenix49ers statement "with a 39" vertical, he can get up higher than a much taller guy like Jordan Matthews" which sounds like he has no idea how the vertical is done and is not true !

If you watch his games, you will see very few occasions where a team successfully threw the ball over the top of him, if the defensive back is playing the ball and not the receiver which Verrett does a great job of, with that sort of leaping ability he can knock the ball away from pretty much anyone short of Megatron.

I´m not sure why you quote me on this. I have watched every tape there is on him and said since the start that I could not care less about Verretts size cause I think he plays the ball better than any other CB in this draft. He is a terrific playmaker and exactly what we need. I would not think twice taking him with the 30th pick or even trade up. I dont see anyone else in this draft with the exception of Verrett who I think would be able to come in as a rookie and cover Harvin, Austin etc.

But your statement "with a 39" vertical, he can get up higher than a much taller guy like Jordan Matthews" sounds like you has no idea how the vertical is done and is still not true.

On the vertical jump the prospects get measured with a flat footed reach. That is the starting point. Then they jump. The differential between their starting point and whatever flag they hit is their vertical.

If Verrett and Matthews would have the same height and arm length your statement would be true but Matthews is taller and has longer arms so its not.

The verttical is more to see how explosive a player is not to see how high they actually can get in the air.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
This. Thanks for putting it the right way !

If you read the whole thread you would see that it was not a diss against Verrett.

It was a respond to Phoenix49ers statement "with a 39" vertical, he can get up higher than a much taller guy like Jordan Matthews" which sounds like he has no idea how the vertical is done and is not true !

If you watch his games, you will see very few occasions where a team successfully threw the ball over the top of him, if the defensive back is playing the ball and not the receiver which Verrett does a great job of, with that sort of leaping ability he can knock the ball away from pretty much anyone short of Megatron.

I�m not sure why you quote me on this. I have watched every tape there is on him and said since the start that I could not care less about Verretts size cause I think he plays the ball better than any other CB in this draft. He is a terrific playmaker and exactly what we need. I would not think twice taking him with the 30th pick or even trade up. I dont see anyone else in this draft with the exception of Verrett who I think would be able to come in as a rookie and cover Harvin, Austin etc.

But your statement "with a 39" vertical, he can get up higher than a much taller guy like Jordan Matthews" sounds like you has no idea how the vertical is done and is still not true.

On the vertical jump the prospects get measured with a flat footed reach. That is the starting point. Then they jump. The differential between their starting point and whatever flag they hit is their vertical.

If Verrett and Matthews would have the same height and arm length your statement would be true but Matthews is taller and has longer arms so its not.

The verttical is more to see how explosive a player is not how high they actually can get in the air !

Unless I miss my guess, the vertical jump and the broad jump are predominately measures of explosiveness.

I tend to think translating the actual numbers for those two jumps directly into the skill set of a cornerback or a wide receiver is somewhat precarious.

The combine events measure physical capacities or physical potentials; they are not instruments to measure playing ability.

But, then we already know this, don't we?
[ Edited by buck on Mar 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Watch his drills from the Combine, other than a couple slip-up's, he is incredibly fluid, watch how he shuffles his hips moving laterally, making it look almost effortless.

There are no stiffness in those hips. Very Fluid

Quick feet, he's so perfect for the slot.
ok after thinking about this post , i am not saying that he might not be a good football player , but the game of football does come down to the game of inches , the nfc championship you think if sherman was 5'9 he would have made that play ,,,,, hell no we should get jordan matthews with that pick , get a db in late round 2 and 3
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
There are no stiffness in those hips. Very Fluid

Quick feet, he's so perfect for the slot.

This !

Originally posted by 15crabtree:
ok after thinking about this post , i am not saying that he might not be a good football player , but the game of football does come down to the game of inches , the nfc championship you think if sherman was 5'9 he would have made that play ,,,,, hell no we should get jordan matthews with that pick , get a db in late round 2 and 3

Personally I think he would be able cover guys like Marshall or other skyscrapers. But he would line up against players like Harvin and Austin who are as short as he is.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:

It's also a game of feet.

49ers have a full lineup of speedy receivers they're going to be taking on this season. Cobb, Harvin(2x), Ginn(2x), Welker, Avery, Tavon Austin(2x), Victor Cruz and on. I'd rather have someone who has the potential to be a GREAT slot cornerback who can help shut the aforementioned guys down than a #3 or #4 WR who will barely see the field this season.

Unless you're comfortable with the aspect of someone like Cox going up against those guys, I'd much rather just take that issue right off the list and get a game-ready guy in there who has the speed, quickness and agility to take those guys on.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
This !

Personally I think he would be able cover guys like Marshall or other skyscrapers. But he would line up against players like Harvin and Austin who are as short as he is.

I think you left out a word, maybe two.

Personally, I think he would not be able to cover guys like Marshall or other skyscrapers.

Personally, I do not think he would be able to cover guys like Marshall or other skyscrapers.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
This !

I think you left out a word, maybe two.

Personally, I think he would not be able to cover guys like Marshall or other skyscrapers.

Personally, I do not think he would be able to cover guys like Marshall or other skyscrapers.

No I did not. I think the way he plays the ball and with his footwork he would have a decent shot. People need to realize if Verret would be a hair taller he would be listed as 5´10 ( height 5094 ).

I think if players like Alteraun Verner, Brent Grimes or Cortland Finnegan are/were able to cover much taller guys in the NFL Verrett can also.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
No I did not. I think the way he plays the ball and with his footwork he would have a decent shot. People need to realize if Verret would be a hair taller he would be listed as 5�10 ( height 5094 ).

I think if players like Alteraun Verner, Brent Grimes or Cortland Finnegan are/were able to cover much taller guys in the NFL Verrett can also.

OK. Sorry.

Reading comprehension error on my part.

From the NFL website:

Jason Verrett

Strengths

Quick, twitchy and explosive popping out of his pedal. Good eyes, anticipation and footwork. Very feisty and athletic. Outstanding instincts. Superb reactive quickness and recovery speed. Very good ball skills -- consistently makes plays on the ball. Very willing in run support and plays bigger than his size.

Weaknesses

Does not pass the eyeball test. Very diminutive, skinny-waisted and thin-boned with small hands and short arms. Body has taken a beating through the years, and he's coming off shoulder surgery. Low-dive tackler (misses some). Can be overwhelmed by bigger blockers and struggles to shed blocks. Average play strength.

Bottom Line

A tough, scrappy, undersized nickel back with potential to emerge as a No. 2 corner, Verrett's body is not ideally built to withstand the rigors of a starting job. An outstanding football player in the mold of feisty Titans 2006 seventh-round pick Cortland Finnegan.

It appears that Verrett might be a liability in run support. At least at top level (read: Seattle). He may be able to cover Harvin, but can he consistently tackle Lynch? Even in highlights I've seen, he was easily blocked. Finnegan as a St. Louis Ram was the guy pulled during the game against the Niners last season. He was then released, picked up by Miami.

Verrett has the best coverage skills in the Draft. He's so good that offenses can't use his lack of height against him; Verrett's skills makes that detail irrelevant.
Verrett is awesome
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

From the NFL website:

Jason Verrett

Strengths

Quick, twitchy and explosive popping out of his pedal. Good eyes, anticipation and footwork. Very feisty and athletic. Outstanding instincts. Superb reactive quickness and recovery speed. Very good ball skills -- consistently makes plays on the ball. Very willing in run support and plays bigger than his size.

Weaknesses

Does not pass the eyeball test. Very diminutive, skinny-waisted and thin-boned with small hands and short arms. Body has taken a beating through the years, and he's coming off shoulder surgery. Low-dive tackler (misses some). Can be overwhelmed by bigger blockers and struggles to shed blocks. Average play strength.

Bottom Line

A tough, scrappy, undersized nickel back with potential to emerge as a No. 2 corner, Verrett's body is not ideally built to withstand the rigors of a starting job. An outstanding football player in the mold of feisty Titans 2006 seventh-round pick Cortland Finnegan.

It appears that Verrett might be a liability in run support. At least at top level (read: Seattle). He may be able to cover Harvin, but can he consistently tackle Lynch? Even in highlights I've seen, he was easily blocked. Finnegan as a St. Louis Ram was the guy pulled during the game against the Niners last season. He was then released, picked up by Miami.

Now that they have Nawrocki doing analysis, I wouldn't really take any of what is written on the NFL.Com Draft profiles seriously. This is more of a general point than anything in relation to Verrett. Not sure how Nawrocki continues to be employed, he puts out a lot of mean-spirited comments. Not that he doesn't seem to know his stuff but as time has gone by, he seems to be more interested in courting controversy and drawing attention to himself than giving a fair,unbiased appraisal of various prospects.

CBS, Scouts Inc and most others tend to provide more grounded, realistic analysis without the media-whoring track record.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM ]
Who wants good football players on their team? I sure do. Varrett is a very good football player.
Share 49ersWebzone