LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 326 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
He was actually looked at as 4-5th round talent until before the combine and his pro day. Big corner's have been "sexy" ever since the legion of boom started, not the superbowl (aka Browner and Sherman not Maxwell/Thurmond and Sherman)

5th/6th rounder before the Superbowl, and that's just going by the various draft sites, several had him as a 7th rounder.

Luckily, Baptise doesn't have the same issues with press coverage that Verrett does... I dont understand your argument there as Baptise is on another level with press coverage compared to Verrett. Not to mention he is very strong and on his combine report he is known for re-routing opposing WR whereas I have watched Verrett get taken out of many plays while struggling to shed blocks.

Let's take a look at the numbers.

Verrett played 1-5 yards off the line, 51% of the time. He played press coverage about 16% of the time. Baptiste played press coverage 28% of the time and played 6-10 yards off the line 40% of the time.

In terms of competions, Verrett allowed 14% of targets over 20 yards to be completed. He allowed 32% of targets from 10-20 yards to be completed.

Baptiste allowed 78% of targets over 20 yards to be completed, he allowed 50% of targets from 10-20 yards to be completed.

Bottomline, if Baptiste whiffed, the receiver was getting loose and making a huge play downfield.

Verrett broke up one of every 2.75 targets. Baptiste broke up every one of 4.3 targets.

With the defense that the 49ers play, being able to keep up with faster receivers down the field, being able to recover if you are beat, being able to make plays on the ball more consistently is more important than your ability in press coverage, particularly if you're playing in the slot. Verrett simply has better ability to move hips, better overall quickness and speed down the field and the numbers reflect that.

If you start at CB in Vic Fangio's defense, you better know how to shed blocks and tackle. Does that sound like Verrett

Actually he did just fine in college, he takes good angles and is a reliable tackler, what more can you ask from a slot corner??

Also, I'm failing to understand how Verrett is way ahead of Baptise in terms of contribution.

Watch some tape of them playing, if you still can't see the difference, stick to Madden Football.

Didn't Verrett just heal up from shoulder surgery? A guy with his frame needs to stay healthy or else that injury will be exposed time and time again. Also, I don't think Verrett would beat out Cook for a starting job, I don't think Baptise is either but I'd still rather have him learning our defense than Verrett.

Verrett is a 1st round prospect for a reason, Baptiste isn't. Verrett all around is simply better in coverage, if you can't see that from actually watching the guy play, then there's no point in having this conversation any further. In terms of being ready to contribute right away, Verrett is a substantially better fit for this team, especially when it comes to defending the faster, quick twitch guys such as Percy Harvin.

Jason Verrett would be the lightest corner on our team by about 20lbs, and the shortest by about 2 inches. I'm sorry but this is not our guy. Based on size, run support, and injury concerns I would gladly pass for another CB. That guy may not be Baptise, but at least he is a step in the right direction.

By 20 pounds? Try like 8 or 9 pounds. Also Brock is 5'10", that's a one inch difference.

Walter Thurmond who people were pretty excited about bringing in came into the NFL at 5'11" and 189, so the same weight as Verrett. The reality is that the 49ers need a true slot corner, a guy who can handle the faster receivers in the division. For that role, Verrett is big enough and far better suited to perform in that role than Baptiste, simple as that.

The fact that you think Baptiste is worth anything near a 1st round pick tells me you need to go back and watch him play more because you seem to be overrating his abilities drastically.

They don't hear you Phoenix but keep preaching brother. Also what's crazy about those arguing against Verrett is the fact the 49ers could still take a flyer on Baptiste and other bigger DB's such as Desir, which Phoenix took in the 3rd in his mock. Verrett hands down is the better day 1 prospect for the 49ers defense. Also...the 49ers do not play press coverage. Their DB's mirrors the WR more than pressing, which is a strength of Verrett's.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I listed all of the CB who have ever played in the pro-bowl since 1994. That was 20 years ago
All but 2 of them are as tall as Verrett.

Unless you think Verrett is a once in a generation player he is going to fall out of the NFL because of size/injury concerns.
And for those of you who are thinking 1 inch doesn't matter, clearly it does.
CBs at 5'10- 18
Cbs at 5'9- 2

If Verrett is an investment, I am not buying
Neither is Harbs or Baalke. Can we stop with this guy now ?

You also said you would take Martavis Bryant over Sammy Watkins 24 / 7 .
I have to disagree about taking a flyer on Stanley Jean-Baptise. He's going to disappoint IMO.
What would it take to get GIlbert and Verrett ? i know it wont happen cause I'm sure it would be a lot but just curious.
Originally posted by Raul98:
What would it take to get GIlbert and Verrett ? i know it wont happen cause I'm sure it would be a lot but just curious.

It'd probably take the 30 & both 2nd rounder to move up & take Gilbert. Not a fan of that move.
  • pfizz
eh not a fan of that move either. grab jason in the 1st and grab another CB to groom later on.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Raul98:

It'd probably take the 30 & both 2nd rounder to move up & take Gilbert. Not a fan of that move.

Ouch as tempting as it is to get a player like Gilbert i would not do it for that price. Maybe we get lucky and Gilbert slides to the 15 range. But i would be more than happy with Verrett hes more in the Niners pick range and could be a great corner in this system.
Verrett is a good corner, but I don't agree with drafting slot corners in the 1st round. He would pose match-up problems for us in a negative way when facing larger receivers. No matter what kind of coverage he has on a guy like Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Austin Pettis, or other receivers 6-3 and above, they will always technically be not just "open" but "VERY open" due to the size matchup -- all a good QB needs to do is take advantage.

I hope no one tries to comment on Tarell Brown (5-10 1/2) was covering Calvin Johnson because 1) He split time between him and Culliver taking on Megatron, and 2) We did that AND played bracket coverage on him to prevent big plays due to the obvious matchup issue with a 5-10 Brown on a 6-5 receiver.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Verrett is a good corner, but I don't agree with drafting slot corners in the 1st round. He would pose match-up problems for us in a negative way when facing larger receivers. No matter what kind of coverage he has on a guy like Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Austin Pettis, or other receivers 6-3 and above, they will always technically be not just "open" but "VERY open" due to the size matchup -- all a good QB needs to do is take advantage.

I hope no one tries to comment on Tarell Brown (5-10 1/2) was covering Calvin Johnson because 1) He split time between him and Culliver taking on Megatron, and 2) We did that AND played bracket coverage on him to prevent big plays due to the obvious matchup issue with a 5-10 Brown on a 6-5 receiver.

Here's the other side of that argument, who are you going to put on guys like Percy Harvin to defend them? Because of how many snaps the slot corner plays in this defense, you need someone who can lock that position down, better than Rogers did. If you remember the 2011 NFC Championship Game, the Giants were able to consistently go to Victor Cruz for big play after big play. Having someone who can help stop guys like that is absolutely essential and I don't see anyone in the draft who moves his hips as well as Verrett, who has both short area quickness(best 10 yard split at the Combine of any position) and the ability to keep up with the deep speed vertical threats or recover ground quickly.

Sitting in the late 1st, I'd say that Verrett is the best talent available when it comes to CB, particularly if Gilbert, Dennard and Fuller are all gone. In terms of drafting a CB to strictly play on the outside, you have an almost endless collection of bigger, more physical types of CB's that can be had in latter rounds. Breeland, McGill, Jean-Baptiste, Desir, Aikens...etc...etc..

Then you have your late round guys like Shaq Richardson but as far as slot corners go, I see Verrett and Joyner as the best and Verrett possesses better overall athleticism than Joyner.

It's one thing to be a "slot corner" and another thing entirely to be a slot corner with Pro Bowl potential. I see Verrett as the type of guy who can lock down Harvin, Austin, Wes Welker, Randall Cobb and other faster/slot type guys that the 49ers will face this season, rack up turnovers and be a major credit to this defense. The way people talk about him reminds me of the Russell Wilson discussions from a couple seasons ago.

"Man, if this guy was just a few inches taller, he'd be a Top 10 pick for sure." If a guy is that talented that a couple inches would make him come flying off the board tout suite, then I feel like he's a steal in the late 1st pretty much.

As far as bigger receivers go, draft someone like Desir, teach him to hold the s**t out of Calvin Johnson the way Seattle does and call it a day.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM ]
So, is 5-8 too short, 5-7, 5-1? At some point, it's a disadvantage or a weakness that can be exploited. Maybe this particular 5-9 player would be great at 5-1. But if there was a version of this guy at 6-0, wouldn't he be more valuable?

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
So, is 5-8 too short, 5-7, 5-1? At some point, it's a disadvantage or a weakness that can be exploited. Maybe this particular 5-9 player would be great at 5-1. But if there was a version of this guy at 6-0, wouldn't he be more valuable?

Find me a 6'0" version of Verrett and I'll be down. Unfortunately there isn't one in the draft. If Verrett were 6'0" we'd be talking about the 1st cornerback off the board. Anyways there's no evidence that a guy who's 5'9 1/2 is somehow drastically limited, particularly when the 49ers have a crapload of smaller, quick slot receivers on the menu this season.
  • pfizz
if verrett were 6'0 he'd be by far the highest rated cornerback in the draft and a top 10 pick.

why are people so worried about matching him up against a huge wide receiver like calvin johnson? calvin eats CBs alive whether they are 5'9 or 6'3. plus we play a lot of deep 2 shell so its not like he'd be on a island against anyone.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 29, 2014 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by pfizz:
if verrett were 6'0 he'd be by far the highest rated cornerback in the draft and a top 10 pick.

why are people so worried about matching him up against a huge wide receiver like calvin johnson? calvin eats CBs alive whether they are 5'9 or 6'3. plus we play a lot of deep 2 shell so its not like he'd be on a island against anyone.

JG and DD disagree with that false statement. he'd be a 1st rounder but not ahead of the two I just mentioned.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
JG and DD disagree with that false statement. he'd be a 1st rounder but not ahead of the two I just mentioned.

If Verrett were 6'0", I'd put him in front of both of those guys. More consistent in coverage than Gilbert, faster, more athletic than Dennard. Gilbert went from being very underrated to all of a sudden being overrated. In a draft with normal cornerback draft at the top, he'd be a mid to late 1st rounder, not in the discussion for a Top 10 pick.

Going into the season, Gilbert was kind of my fallback option as a late 1st rounder since I figured Verrett would be gone already. Gilbert has tremendous versatility as a cornerback, you can line him up anywhere, and put him against anyone but he did get his fair share of being burnt and then some. Very good cornerback prospect but being pumped up way too much IMO.

I still would take Dennard over Gilbert in the draft at this point. Not as athletic, lesser measurables, but better and more consistent in coverage. Gilbert came off a horrendous junior year while Dennard has been progressing steadily every season.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Because he's a flat-out baller...they'd draft him to be the slot cover CB, something we don't really have now. Baalke will also draft a CB for size and length. One of the greatest CB's in NFL history is Daryl Green...and he was all of 5-9.

Daryl Green ran a 4.15 40
http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-fastest-40-yard-dash-ever/
Share 49ersWebzone