LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

what is the obsession with verrett ,especially with the receiver in our division ????????????
I AGree with you. I never was crazy about this dude. I pray to God the 49ers don't draft this dude or that other short dude from FSU. Gimmie a 5'11 or taller CB
Because he's a flat-out baller...they'd draft him to be the slot cover CB, something we don't really have now. Baalke will also draft a CB for size and length. One of the greatest CB's in NFL history is Daryl Green...and he was all of 5-9.
that is one of the issue i have with the niner's coaching staff ,maybe if we started putting rookies in , in game experience , we would know what we have ,did you forget about morris
Teams win with talent. This obsession with size at certain positions is ridiculous. Everyone obsesses over the fact that defense wins championships(and this is mainly true)and then you have teams like the saints and packers winning. The ravens needed 34 points to win the Super Bowl. If this kid is a baller, I'll take him.
[ Edited by est1985 on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
that is one of the issue i have with the niner's coaching staff ,maybe if we started putting rookies in , in game experience , we would know what we have ,did you forget about morris

They do this all over the defensive side of the ball... Aldon Smith, Eric Reid both took over in their rookie year, Culliver and Lemonier both got a solid amount of playing time in their rookie years. Daryl Morris was not ever going to get playing time over the seasoned vets that the defense had last year.

On offense, I completely agree with that statement.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Because he's a flat-out baller...they'd draft him to be the slot cover CB, something we don't really have now. Baalke will also draft a CB for size and length. One of the greatest CB's in NFL history is Daryl Green...and he was all of 5-9.

My thoughts exactly. Great post. I want one of the top two corners in this draft and if the 49ers have to trade up to make it happen then so be it. I don't think they can trade up far enough for one of the top two WR's so I'm hoping they go corner in the first.
Say waaaaat???? Mark McMillian does not approve this thread.
what is the obsession with verrett ,especially with the receiver in our division ????????????

I'm with you there. If our boys see what they need to in Verrett then great but it is a little scary thinking how we need to hit on this pick. Much like last year with Reid. I'm sleeping at nite because I really think we are going to trade up b/w 15 and 20. if we stay at 30, give me Benjamin.
Verrett looks like a faster Brandon Flowers to me. Excellent in all phases of the game. If he was just 2-3 inches taller, he's a top 15 pick based on skill level.

Originally posted by est1985:
Teams win with talent. This obsession with size at certain positions is ridiculous. Everyone obsesses over the fact that defense wins championships(and this is mainly true)and then you have teams like the saints and packers winning. The ravens needed 34 points to win the Super Bowl. If this kid is a baller, I'll take him.

Thank you. This question is just as foolish as people clamoring for us to sign receivers just because they're "fast."

I can name plenty of bum CB's with size (we just signed one, in fact) and I can name even more terrible receivers with sub 4.4 speed.

It's not all about a player's physical attributes.
1.) He's a tough, smart and fast CB who immediately becomes your starting nickel corner (notice the word "starter")
2.) He has the ability to eventually transition outside as well because he plays taller than 5'9"
3.) Even with this push for bigger CBs, height is becoming more and more overrated (2 of the top 4 vote getters for 2013 defensive player of the year are "undersized", Earl Thomas and Robert Mathis)
I won't argue that it looks like the kid can play, but for a 1st round pick you generally want not only toughness, speed, and ball skills, but in a perfect world size as well. He would have to be off the charts in terms of speed or playmaking ability to make up for his small frame and lack of height, and I'm not sure yet that he has that.

Depends on your scheme as well, of course. If Verrett is smart and can play in space well, then he might be a good fit for our 'adapt on the fly' cover schemes (neither Brock nor Brown are particularly big...)
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

What receiver? Besides Arizona's WRs the Rams and Seattle's Wr's are on the small side.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1.) He's a tough, smart and fast CB who immediately becomes your starting nickel corner (notice the word "starter")
2.) He has the ability to eventually transition outside as well because he plays taller than 5'9"
3.) Even with this push for bigger CBs, height is becoming more and more overrated (2 of the top 4 vote getters for 2013 defensive player of the year are "undersized", Earl Thomas and Robert Mathis)

That makes no sense. I've got no problem with his height, but I don't understand what this means when people claim this. Can the guy stretch his arms like Dahlsim?
Share 49ersWebzone