There are 180 users in the forums

Ideal Mock: EDITED for "realistic picks"

I've never actually done a full mock draft, this is my first
Criticism welcome!

Also, I used fanspeak as a reference point to see when some of these guys would get drafted
Hopefully we can gem em!

First up,

Jason Verrett- CB- Texas Christian University

Let me be the first to say I originally wrote this guy off because of his size, Phoenix will attest to that. With the recent bonehead moves by our very own Culliver, and the need for a CB who has the ability to cover WR like Harvin in the slot (yes I said he has the ability to cover Harvin) Verrett is our man. If you fail to understand what analysts mean when they write things like "plays with fire" or "feisty" watch this guys highlight tape; he defines those terms. Day 1 contributor with an aggression that I can't wait to see against the hawks. Sign me up.
Jaylen Watkins- CB- Florida

Yes I did. I went back to back corners in this draft. I know some of you might disagree with this pick here, but I am a fan. Watching this guys highlight tape, I agree there is some room for improvement. But, the ceiling for this guy is high, running a 4.41 at the combine coupled with 22 reps on bench is the size and speed combo that will mold well into our secondary. Some fun facts as well, Watkins is also known for playing safety which should be helpful if anything happens to Reid/Bethea.
Not to mention the gene pool is there, guess who his brother is?

Donte Moncrief- WR- Mississippi

Crabtree is a FA next year. Don't forget Crabs is the same WR who held out on us over his rookie contract. I have a feeling he is going to demand a lot of money comes FA if he performs (which i am hoping he does). IMO, if Moncrief can develop (fingers crossed with how we develop WR) I think he would be a great person to fill in for Crabs. Not to mention he is 6'2 220 and runs a 4.40. A lot of fellow posters on here also have a thing for Moncrief, would be a solid pick if we can get him at the right time. A faster, bigger Crabtree with the ability to stretch a field and demand attention from any secondary.

Marcus Martin- C- USC

This pick here may be a little biased on my part, as I have never been a fan of Goodwin. Martin isn't the guy that I think will come in and start right away. But let me tell you the talent and size this guy has is something I consider a steal in this round. HE SHOULD BE HERE for the third round. Still very raw, started playing center two years ago and could benefit from sitting behind Kilgore for a year. This is a guy we can draft, sit on for a season, and have him come in and perform without concern. Also is experienced at guard, so if Kilgore works and Iupati leaves... Here is our man.
Daniel McCullers- DT- Tennessee

My favorite part about this guy is even though he is 6'7 350lbs, the combine website describes him as "relatively lean for his size" He is an amazing athlete as well, ran a SUB 5 second 40 weighing 365 pounds. Was used in both a 3-4 and 4-3 during his time at Tennessee. I feel he could be rotated between NT and R/L DT. I've been watching his highlight tapes and the way he gets past blockers is amazing. You would expect, given his height, his frame tends to get in the way during pass rushes... It is the opposite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc2dzl2rE4I Seriously watch the way this guy moves, I could see him as a DE. I watched him play against Alabama where he was either effective swallowing up two blockers at a time, or throwing guards around like rag-dolls during pass rushes.

Dri Archer- RB/WR- Kent State

I'm sure many of you know who this is. Ran a 4.26 and has the playmaking ability that Harbaugh wants. (http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/6169/harbaugh-explains-need-for-third-wr) Would cover our kick returns and punt returns and I think could prove to be an effective check-down that Roman should install in our offense. I imagine him as a Sproles type player, I don't think Roman would use him as such... But with the speed and athleticism he brings to the table he allows Roman to expand our offense. Harbaugh talks about a player who can "attack all areas of the field, be an explosive playmaker", well IMO this is that guy.

Lamin Barrow- ILB-LSU

I really like that the NFL combine and fanspeak project him this late. I think he is one of the most underrated players in this draft and has a high ceiling that should put him ahead of other fellow ILBs in front of him. Also, with Bowman being out, I'm praying nothing happens to Willis.
Anyways, Barrow is an athletic ILB who's only issue are his size and awareness (doesn't read plays as well as some ILB, not horrible but could use some work). Don't know if many of you remember but Bowman had the same knock about his size coming out of the combine. At 6'1 232lbs I think he will do just fine after an off season with an NFL team. The ceiling is high for this player, and taking a couple seasons learning behind Willis and Bowman should shape him into an excellent ILB when the time comes.

Brandon Coleman- WR- Rutgers

I might get some backlash on this pick, as I expect it. But I think Coleman has the potential to help increase our red zone %. He is 6'6 about 230lbs and plays like it, at the combine he ran a 4.5 but I have seen him burn opposing secondaries all season long. Great hands, can jump through the roof, and for how large his frame is he has excellent body control. Very good run blocker, I've thought about him switching to a TE in our offense and I think he and Vernon would prove to be a very tough match up for opposing defenses. Can you say mismatch?

Victor Hampton- CB-South Carolina
A slot CB who plays a lot like Verrett. Not as talented, or explosive, but the speed, swagger, and attitude are there. Has seen a significant drop off in stock prospect because of off the field issues and personality... But I think the reward here is higher than the risk. If we end up starting Verrett in Cullys place, this is our guy to guard that slot position. Seriously. Watch his highlight films, 20 reps on bench, 11.5 on 60yd cones, 4.49 40. Came out early and is still pretty raw, learning behind our corners and getting our system down will do nothing but wonders for Hampton. Heres to optimism!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHD--w46WmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcvuQNgN4s(fast foward this one to 1:05)
Colt Lyerla- TE- Oregon

Yes, yes, he is nuts, has off field issues, is a quitter, and a drug user. But lets be honest, with the ceiling and talent this kid possesses, and his projected round in this draft, it would be STUPID if we didn't give him a chance. Is one of the most agile, fastest, and athletic player in this draft. Against Arizona last year he was used as a running back and did not fail to impress. Has great hands and is very quick for his frame (6'5 250lbs).
I was not impressed with McDonald this year, I think we need somebody similar more towards VD, this is as close as we are going to get. Like I said, the talent this kid has is good enough to put him in the 1-2 round, if we can control his off field issues he will be amazing.

EDIT:
Dropped out Fuller for Verrett
Dropped Tuitt for Watkins (more realistic)
Dropped out Swanson for Martin
Dropped out Lotson for McCullers
Dropped out Richardson for Hampton
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM ]
Its either or as far as CB Fuller and DE Tuitt. I just cannot see how both these guys will be there at #30 and #56. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE IT IF THEY WERE!!!!
By far my favorite mock so far. Unbelievable. I would love it if it would pan out like that. Hopefully both Fuller and Tuitt fall that far.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
tuitt won't be there 2nd.
i had lyerla in my 7th rd mock, but i no longer can stomach his character defects. in a draft this deep, he won't be drafted.
i want barrow and loston on the team.
coleman's just too long. there are so few good receivers that tall, and i don't see him as an exception to statistical truth.
archer's going before rd 7.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Its either or as far as CB Fuller and DE Tuitt. I just cannot see how both these guys will be there at #30 and #56. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE IT IF THEY WERE!!!!

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
By far my favorite mock so far. Unbelievable. I would love it if it would pan out like that. Hopefully both Fuller and Tuitt fall that far.

I think Fuller will fall that far
I agree, I don't think Tuitt will be there when our 2nd round pick comes...
But I do believe that if he falls out of the first round, Baalke will trade up for him

Personally I'd throw a 1st round pick next year for Tuitt if he does, but we will see... Thats why I'm an armchair GM and Baalke gets paid the big bucks
Originally posted by xcfan:
tuitt won't be there 2nd.
i had lyerla in my 7th rd mock, but i no longer can stomach his character defects. in a draft this deep, he won't be drafted.
i want barrow and loston on the team.
coleman's just too long. there are so few good receivers that tall, and i don't see him as an exception to statistical truth.
archer's going before rd 7.

In this mock I have him at 5
1- fuller
2- tuitt
2- moncrief
3- swanson
3- lotson
3- coleman
4- barrow
5- Archer
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

This, also no way Dri Archer is there that late.
  • pfizz
moncrief is not a bigger and faster version of crabtree. crabtree's hands are on another level compared to moncrief and coming out college crabtree already had the more polished routes. moncrief relies way too much on body catches.

but i like the draft.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM ]
This is exactly like my last Fanspeak mock. Hope it works out like this for us.
Good mock.

I'm all over Montcrief - I really think he's going to be fabulous.

Coleman is going to surprise a lot of people . I like the pick.

I know Kilgore is really an unknown as a starter BUT the resigning says to me our coaches really believe he's the C. So, I'd go in another direction than Swanson. I'd go w/my other draft crush - G Gabe Jackson 6'4" 330 Mississippi State.He'll probably go in 2-3 though.

I also don't think Archer will be there BUT I love the pick and the Richardson pick is good.

Lyerla is a wasted pick, IMO. I still like S Jason Hendricks Pittsburgh BUT I don't know where he'll be slotted.

I think Archer might fall to the 5th round, his size should be enough concern to keep him down there.
Ahh I'm glad you brought up Jackson... I gave him a hard look during my mock.
I didn't think he would be there come time for us to pick Swanson. I had it between Swanson/Marcus Martin/ and Jackson.

Lots on flack ion the Lyerla pick. If he keeps his head straight he has all the talent to be a starting TE next season on most teams.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM ]
That is a good mock for your first attempt. I like most of the picks and they should all be available when you have them slotted. Would rather have a smaller, quicker WR like Herron over Coleman and Trey Millard over the headcase Lyerla, but the rest is solid. Nice work.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
That is a good mock for your first attempt. I like most of the picks and they should all be available when you have them slotted. Would rather have a smaller, quicker WR like Herron over Coleman and Trey Millard over the headcase Lyerla, but the rest is solid. Nice work.

I gave Herron a hard look as well, but I figured if we got Archer that Roman would use him as that slot WR (wouldn't do too well running between tackles with his size and our running game)
Another reason I wanted Coleman is because I can't stand our red zone TD%
I saw a stat on Coleman while researching this,
For his three seasons at Rutgers 20% of his receptions were for a TD.
On average, if he gets 5 receptions a game 1 of them is a TD.
That's crazy

Thank you for the input, I'm hoping it'll be realistic as well
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM ]
I like a lot of these players, but this is an unrealistic draft.

Fuller is likely the #3 CB in the draft and there are a number of teams who need corners - I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 or even 5 corners gone before we pick (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Verrett, possibly Roby).

Tuitt at 56 is not going to happen in a million years. I would also be willing to give up a first round pick to get him, but I think we should package picks to move up instead since we don't have that many roster spots.

Moncrief has been moving up draft boards and I wouldn't count on him being there at 61.

Dri Archer will probably not fall to the 5th round and he definitely won't be there at the end of the 5th when the 49ers pick. I we need to take him with our 3rd round comp pick if we want him and he's still there. I also think in order to take Archer we would need to have confidence in our ability to deal James for a later draft pick because their skill sets are a little redundant.
I don't think it's as unrealistic as you might think...
The only person I have concerns with being available at my picks are Archer and Tuitt.
Fuller should be there, Moncrief should be there, Lotson, and Barrow.

I'm optimistic about Tuitt, honestly I don't see him making it out of the first. With our picks I'm confident we trade for him, he would be a PERFECT fit in our defense.
Especially for Fangio.

Archer might not be there, I think the Eagles might take him 4th round, but because of his size and durability concerns I don't see him coming out in the top3.
Share 49ersWebzone