LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Phoenix 49ers 2014 Mock Draft V6.0(UPDATED POST-CULLIVER POTATO JAILHOUSE VERSION)

No trades in this one, just going with picks based on how I see the 49ers various needs overall.

EDIT-Damnit, Culliver going potato completely upsets my mock draft, pretty inconsiderate of him I must say , so let me take another crack at this, a few minor changes. All picks marked with a * have been changed. Hopefully no other 49ers end up getting arrested in the next few days.

*Round 1-Kyle Fuller-5'11", 190-CB-Virginia Tech. Yep, this is a big change, I still REALLY want to see Jason Verrett on the 49ers, pretty badly but I think that with Culliver going full potato, they might be looking more for a guy to play on the outside. While I think that Verrett could handle the role, I could also see the 49ers looking at someone with better length for the position. I don't see Fuller as the same sort of playmaker as Verrett but a very competent, consistent man CB who also plays the ball well in the air, a very aggressive tackler and by all accounts a good character guy and hard worker. Had some injury concerns this season but has been mostly healthy throughout. I could see him step in as the starting CB opposite Brock from then get go. Still hoping for Verrett, but Fuller would not surprise me at all and I'd be content with him being drafted as well.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-6'2", 221-WR-Ole Miss. I went through and considered some other WR's with this selection but where Moncrief wins out for me is an almost uncanny ability to separate from coverage. From using a lethal stutter-step to some outstanding double moves, this guy gets open and stays open often. I see him with the potential to be a very good #2 WR in the NFL, has good body control, a tremendous leaper, someone that has to be accounted for out on the field at all times.

Round 2-Terrence Brooks-5'11", 195-FS-Florida State. I've gone back and forth with several safeties here, but in this slot, I think Brooks represents the best value. He's not a ballhawking type but plays smart, with very good awareness and instincts. He takes great angles when trying to make a tackle and does a good job of keeping the offensive players out in front of him. With him being drafted to develop as a replacement for Bethea down the road, I think he could provide useful depth and be a spot-starter at times if needed.

*Round 3-Jaylen Watkins-5'11", 194-CB/FS-Florida. Watkins has nice potential as a slot cornerback. He shows good lateral movement, terrific awareness and anticipation, is versatile having played both cornerback and safety, a very aggressive tackler that can sometimes whiff while going for a big hit but fairly reliable in the open field. He's got good size for the position along with the athleticism to keep up with faster receivers down the field. A good fit in the slot, can also be moved out to safety if needed.

Round 3-Lamin Barrow-6'1", 235-ILB-LSU. An ILB? You're crazy! Here's the thought that scares me, with Bowman out, Willis goes down with an injury for a few games and now you have Wilhoite and Moody out there as starters potentially. I think Barrow gives the 49ers strong depth at ILB, a guy who can help out on special teams, who is athletic enough to drop back into coverage, who shows good instincts and still has a lot of room to improve. He's someone with strong leadership skills, experienced, would instantly bolster the ILB position.

Round 3-Cody Latimer-6'2", 215-WR-Indiana. Latimer made a mistake by coming out too early IMO. Another good season and he could have been looked at as a potential late 1st rounder next season. He's still very raw, only started playing football in his junior year of high-school but he's been very productive at Indiana and fits this offense very well. Has a terrific build, an enthusiastic run-blocker, very physical, With him and Moncrief the 49ers add bigger, well-built targets that can develop alongside of Patton. He had a very good Pro Day, ran a 4.4 40 and showed outstanding leaping ability as well.

Round 4-Tyler Larsen-6'4", 315-C-Utah State. Nice center prospect for the 49ers, good agility and quickness for his size, very experienced starter who could provide solid depth behind Kilgore or even potentially work his way into being a starter.

Round 5-Jay Bromley-6'3", 306-DE/NT-Syracuse. Experienced starter who could compete for a roster spot, a guy who has a lot of physical talent, had an outstanding Pro Day, very athletic for his size, simply needs to refine his technique, learn better use of his hands. I like him as a prospect for Tomsula to work with, a high upside pick. Good pass-rushing potential as a 3-4 DE.

Round 6-Blaine Gabbert-QB-Missouri/London Jaguars.

Round 7-Trey Millard-6'2", 247-FB/TE-Oklahoma. I think everyone knows how I feel about Millard. I see him as a tremendous H-back prospect that the 49ers could stash away on IR if needed. His ability to block is tremendous, he can run, catch, line up out wide....etc, just an outstanding all-around talent that is potato level value at this point.

Round 7-Spencer Long-6'5", 320-OG-Nebraska. Potential depth at guard or even a replacement for Iupati in 2015. 2nd round value in the 7th round. Can be put away on IR for the 2014 season.

*Round 7-Shaq Richardson-6'0", 195-CB-Arizona. 49ers have shown interest in Richardson, he's a guy who originally went to UCLA, got into some trouble there, ended up at U of A and is a very nice prospect. Has ideal size and athleticism for the position, not sure if he's a long term starter at the next level but at this point in the draft, solid special teams performance and the additional depth at CB would be well worth it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM ]
Great Mock. Whenever I do a fanspeak mock I end up with a lot of the same picks. Verret and Moncrief followed by Desir and ILB Barrow later along with a big WR.

I agree with taking an ILB but I want someone with starter potential who can develop to one day take over for Willis in 3-4 years while providing top quality depth now.

I go back and forth on a big WR between Bryant and Coleman and Latimer.

I also go back and forth on which SS. I like the idea of developing a strong player to take over for Bethea down the road. I also like the idea of Antone Exum and switching him to Safety. He could fall late 3rd to late 4th round.

Would be very happy if the 49ers ended up with the players you mocked.
Love it. Your best mock yet. The Brooks pick especially cuz in the same way a Wilhoit/Moody combo would be worrisome, if one of our safeties went down, I have zero confidence in Dahl or Spillman filling in.

Thing I like about Brooks is he played corner recently yet as a somewhat inexperienced safety, he's so willing and able in run support.

Wish we could get a te somewhere in there though. Same thing...Davis out and we got McDonald and Celek/Carrier. Guess that goes for pretty much most positions though.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
nice draft, but sorenson is not even backup quality. he can't hang with these guys. he's a usfl guy.
Originally posted by xcfan:
nice draft, but sorenson is not even backup quality. he can't hang with these guys. he's a usfl guy.

If Dahl and Spillman can make it, I think Sorensen has a good shot as well.
I got a question for you,
Out of curiosity, what makes you think Verrett is the best choice out of this draft for the CB position?
To me, he seems to small and not physical enough
Love this mock! Your best one yet imo
If the Niners could get this draft or something close to it, I would be VERY happy. What about with the second 2nd Rd. pick going with the other guy from the Florida St. secondary, L. Joyner (or, will he be long gone by then)?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No trades in this one, just going with picks based on how I see the 49ers various needs overall.

Round 1-Jason Verrett-5'9", 187-CB-TCU. Nothing has changed about how I feel in regards to Verrett. He's a pure ballhawk that had the best rate of pass deflections of any cornerback in the draft. In spite of his size he still manages to make plays and has the outstanding athleticism and natural instincts to make him a superb slot corner for the 49ers starting this upcoming season. Considering how many quick/slot type receivers there are in the NFC West and how many problems the 49ers had with a guy like Percy Harvin previously, I think someone with Verrett's coverage ability and tremendous athleticism is a must have. C'mon Baalke, bring the Fairfield guy home.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-6'2", 221-WR-Ole Miss. I went through and considered some other WR's with this selection but where Moncrief wins out for me is an almost uncanny ability to separate from coverage. From using a lethal stutter-step to some outstanding double moves, this guy gets open and stays open often. I see him with the potential to be a very good #2 WR in the NFL, has good body control, a tremendous leaper, someone that has to be accounted for out on the field at all times.

Round 2-Terrence Brooks-5'11", 195-FS-Florida State. I've gone back and forth with several safeties here, but in this slot, I think Brooks represents the best value. He's not a ballhawking type but plays smart, with very good awareness and instincts. He takes great angles when trying to make a tackle and does a good job of keeping the offensive players out in front of him. With him being drafted to develop as a replacement for Bethea down the road, I think he could provide useful depth and be a spot-starter at times if needed.

Round 3-Pierre Desir-6'1", 200-CB-Lindenwood. A developmental CB with tremendous length and size, does a great job playing the football in the air, still very raw, needs to improve as a tackler but has all the tools to be a highly quality NFL cornerback.

Round 3-Lamin Barrow-6'1", 235-ILB-LSU. An ILB? You're crazy! Here's the thought that scares me, with Bowman out, Willis goes down with an injury for a few games and now you have Wilhoite and Moody out there as starters potentially. I think Barrow gives the 49ers strong depth at ILB, a guy who can help out on special teams, who is athletic enough to drop back into coverage, who shows good instincts and still has a lot of room to improve. He's someone with strong leadership skills, experienced, would instantly bolster the ILB position.

Round 3-Cody Latimer-6'2", 215-WR-Indiana. Latimer made a mistake by coming out too early IMO. Another good season and he could have been looked at as a potential late 1st rounder next season. He's still very raw, only started playing football in his junior year of high-school but he's been very productive at Indiana and fits this offense very well. Has a terrific build, an enthusiastic run-blocker, very physical, With him and Moncrief the 49ers add bigger, well-built targets that can develop alongside of Patton. He had a very good Pro Day, ran a 4.4 40 and showed outstanding leaping ability as well.

Round 4-Tyler Larsen-6'4", 315-C-Utah State. Nice center prospect for the 49ers, good agility and quickness for his size, very experienced starter who could provide solid depth behind Kilgore or even potentially work his way into being a starter.

Round 5-Jay Bromley-6'3", 306-DE/NT-Syracuse. Experienced starter who could compete for a roster spot, a guy who has a lot of physical talent, had an outstanding Pro Day, very athletic for his size, simply needs to refine his technique, learn better use of his hands. I like him as a prospect for Tomsula to work with, a high upside pick. Good pass-rushing potential as a 3-4 DE.

Round 6-Blaine Gabbert-QB-Missouri/London Jaguars.

Round 7-Trey Millard-6'2", 247-FB/TE-Oklahoma. I think everyone knows how I feel about Millard. I see him as a tremendous H-back prospect that the 49ers could stash away on IR if needed. His ability to block is tremendous, he can run, catch, line up out wide....etc, just an outstanding all-around talent that is potato level value at this point.

Round 7-Spencer Long-6'5", 320-OG-Nebraska. Potential depth at guard or even a replacement for Iupati in 2015. 2nd round value in the 7th round. Can be put away on IR for the 2014 season.

Round 7-Daniel Sorensen-6'1", 210-SS-BYU. He had a shaky Combine but was far more impressive at his workout day. Mainly a special teams player that could end up bumping Dahl off the roster. Experienced player, hard hitter, limited in coverage somewhat but can develop as a quality special teams contributor and depth at safety.

What mock draft simulator did you use if any?
Very nice mock

You're the man, Phoenix!

Give me the first two picks, alone, and I would be a happy man!
Fantastic draft! You had me with 2 of my favorite receivers in this draft. Well done.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
What mock draft simulator did you use if any?

Lol. Phoenix is his own draft simulator.
RE: Moncrief

Heard he was very raw... limited route tree... not sudden, long galloping strides...

I guess if you can fix all that he'd be good, but you expect us to DEVELOP a WR??
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
RE: Moncrief

Heard he was very raw... limited route tree... not sudden, long galloping strides...

I guess if you can fix all that he'd be good, but you expect us to DEVELOP a WR??

This really isn't accurate. He needs to improve as a route runner but in terms of his quickness and ability to change direction, he does so very well. His best strength is that he continually gets separation, he's not the same mold of possession receiver that the 49ers already have. He's someone who can beat coverage and quickly get open 20, 25 yards down field, a guy that will put extra pressure on defense's to not allow him to get behind them.
Share 49ersWebzone