There are 188 users in the forums

No 2. TE

So I rarely post in the forum, mostly i just take in the thoughts, further i expect this not to go over well. However, I've been thinking about this whole concept of finding a 3rd speed receiver that i've heard so much about. And while, i fully appreciate the importance of finding that type of receiver, what struck me in watching the niners play in 2013 was the lack of explosive plays that came in their multiple TE sets. As opposed to in 2012 when it seemed regularly Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker together were causing match-up problems in these sets because of their speed. As such, i'm wonder if finding a TE who can run like Delanie did would compliment our offense more than a speedy 3rd WR. Now i don't intend this to be a shot at Vance McDonald who i'm sure can have a fine career, however, i was disappointed in his output for 2013. Certainly the reasons for that lack of output could be several (i.e. he was only a rookie) and many may not be his fault. And i don't pretend to know how internally the team feels about Vance's capabilities. However, if there are doubts i would be considering if there is someone in this draft class that can play the Delanie roll and i wouldn't hesitate to use an early draft choice to get them. I'm not a draft guru, so i defer to others if such a player even exists.
Originally posted by robduce42:
So I rarely post in the forum, mostly i just take in the thoughts, further i expect this not to go over well. However, I've been thinking about this whole concept of finding a 3rd speed receiver that i've heard so much about. And while, i fully appreciate the importance of finding that type of receiver, what struck me in watching the niners play in 2013 was the lack of explosive plays that came in their multiple TE sets. As opposed to in 2012 when it seemed regularly Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker together were causing match-up problems in these sets because of their speed. As such, i'm wonder if finding a TE who can run like Delanie did would compliment our offense more than a speedy 3rd WR. Now i don't intend this to be a shot at Vance McDonald who i'm sure can have a fine career, however, i was disappointed in his output for 2013. Certainly the reasons for that lack of output could be several (i.e. he was only a rookie) and many may not be his fault. And i don't pretend to know how internally the team feels about Vance's capabilities. However, if there are doubts i would be considering if there is someone in this draft class that can play the Delanie roll and i wouldn't hesitate to use an early draft choice to get them. I'm not a draft guru, so i defer to others if such a player even exists.

I actually agree with you, but I will take a shot at Vance. Personally I was disappointed in his performance this season, I know he is a rookie and we need to give him time to develop... But when Vernon was out with injuries Vance didn't step up at all. In fact, IMO he played his worst games when Vernon was out.
His old college team-mate, Luke Willson (you might remember him as the guy Whitner hit in the NFC champ game) had a better season

I've been a huge fan of Austin Jenkins for awhile now, he is a TE out of Washington and I feel he would compliment Vernon and our RZE alot
You should look him up, if somehow he is there come second round I would mind us going
CB>WR>TE

I agree. 49ers run more two TE sets than 3 WR sets. And McDonald's abysmal rookie campaign definitely contributed to the lackluster passing attack.However, I do feel that the 49ers are more to draft a future wide receiver more than merely a slot wide receiver. Michael Crabtree is entering his contract year, and Boldin, as good as he is, is only signed for two years and is getting older.

Honesty, I can see a few reasons why the team won't resign Crabtree. One that comes to mind is that he's only had one 1000+ yard season. I think the 49ers, like all good teams will draft for the future.
[ Edited by adrenaline on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM ]
I think some of you guys forgot how complex our schemes are. No rookie will help us next year. Wasting another high pick on a tight end is probably not wise. It will take them at least a full year to learn the playbook and play fast. I know Vance had a crappy year but he still has all the tools. And now that he is more comfortable with the playbook and his responsibilities, I think his play next year will be much better. Can't get worse, LOL
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
I think some of you guys forgot how complex our schemes are. No rookie will help us next year. Wasting another high pick on a tight end is probably not wise. It will take them at least a full year to learn the playbook and play fast. I know Vance had a crappy year but he still has all the tools. And now that he is more comfortable with the playbook and his responsibilities, I think his play next year will be much better. Can't get worse, LOL

I'm going to agree with you here,
But don't forget Harbs wants/is changing our offense next season. (at least I hope so because I can't stand Roman)
Could you imagine having a two TE set with Jenkins and Davis? The types of mismatches and adjustments the opposing secondary would have to do would help every aspect of our offense, from the running game to the vertical game.

I might get grilled for this one here, but I think having a TE similar to VD will help our current offense more than an explosive slot WR
I'd say watch McDonald in 2014...they threw a lot at him his rookie year, mostly blocking stuff, as he wasn't asked to do much of that at Rice. Harbaugh was happy with his blocking by the end of the year. Coach always likes to say he sees the biggest improvement between the 1st and 2nd years...so I'd expect to see VMac become a much more prominent receiver. No need to even think about another #2...give the dude his shot. Remember...Vernon only had 20 catches his first season and they threw a lot of blocking stuff at him, too.
At the very least it would be nice to have a 3rd TE that will compete hard to be the #2.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
At the very least it would be nice to have a 3rd TE that will compete hard to be the #2.

Low pick, though.
As someone who went to UW at the same time, I got a good look at ASJ.

Physically intimidating, but he is a bit soft (fat) and had some nagging injuries. He is not a burner like Delanie.

First met him at our frat party when he was still a senior in high school, really nice guy. Also got his DUI/flipped his truck right outside my apartment.

With all of that said, he's a good football player, but other than his red zone abilities, I don't know how much of an improvement he would be over Vance. ASJ gets a lot of hype. For example, he didn't deserve the Mackey, but won it.
Fleener....
oh wait...we already effed that up...
Nevermind.

I'd rather take a take a late round flyer on Lyerla than take a TE in the first four rounds.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
We should not forget Derek Carrier who we already have on our roster. Maybe our next Delanie Walker ?

• gotem
  • Veteran
u guys expect vance to be like rob gronkowski. this is a running team still, people. hell be fine.
The most underrated need IMO.
First off, I am pretty confident that V-Mac will have a very productive year this year. Not necessarily a good blocker coming out of college, he is now better than average at the pro level. After learning the Niner's big play book last season and getting a grasp for the offense, he should be able to play more instinctively this season. I would like to see a WR drafted who can take the top off of a defense this year. Our running game will definitely be more effective.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Mar 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone