There are 190 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Most difficult position to draft.

After doing a quick bit of research I would say it's a pass rushing nose guard. Michael Carter once had 7 sacks in a year. So has chris Jenkins. vince wilfork, haloti naga have never got to to 7 sacks. The bar set at 7 sacks is a hard one to get to, usually only done early in a career. and not multiple times as wear and tear takes a toll.
Even DT's that play in a 4-3 are hard to find if you want one that can really sack the QB. Reggie White actually got a lot of his sacks as a DE. I would set the bar for a DT in a 4-3 at about 10 or 11, as this will usually get you in the Pro-bowl. Only 3 DT's had 10 or more sacks last year.

I would say the most difficult position to find is an interior defensive line pass rusher. Next franchise QB. After that a true on an island, shut down CB. Like Deon sanders or Darrel revis in his prime.

This is why Stephon Tuitt as our first pick would be O.K. with me. Even 3-4 pass rushing ends are hard to find.

Is there a pass rushing nose guard in this draft? I'd say no. Is there a franchise QB in this draft? Maybe but I'd say the odds are slightly against it. Is there a shut down CB in this draft that will be a multiple pro-bowler? Maybe Dennard? But even here I'm not sure.
Well, it depends on what team you are talking about or if you are just focusing on the 49ers

For us I would think it would be a NT as well, we don't have many DT who can fit our system let alone learn it. Plus to throw a rookie in that mix is tough.

If you are talking about other teams, statistically speaking it would have to be the QB position.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Well, it depends on what team you are talking about or if you are just focusing on the 49ers

For us I would think it would be a NT as well, we don't have many DT who can fit our system let alone learn it. Plus to throw a rookie in that mix is tough.

If you are talking about other teams, statistically speaking it would have to be the QB position.

I was talking about all teams. There just are not enough good NT's to go around. Let alone pass rushing ones. The NT position requires a truly freaky combination of size and athleticism. Not all teams play a 3-4 and one of the big reasons is because it all starts with the NT. With out a good one it doesn't work that well. If you don't have one you play a 4-3. I haven't counted but I'd say there are more franchise QB's than franchise NT's. Last year according to this article (http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/01/breakdown_of_which_nfl_teams_a.html) 13 teams ran a 3-4. I don't think all of those teams believe they have a franchise NT. I'd say more teams have a franchise QB than a franchise NT.
Surprisingly enough, offensive tackles had an extremely high bust rate over about a decade-long period. I think it was like 70% based on what this one article considered a bust. That was a few years ago though.

I think QB & WR are the 2 hardest positions to evaluate 'cause you never know for sure which one is making the other one look better (or worse).
I would argue QB is by far the most difficult position to draft. Players like Andrew Luck only come around only so often. QB's are always taken high in the first round and flame out, a huge part of the bust factor is situational. However, when you look at the totality of the players that come out a majority of the QB's drafted do not make an impact in the NFL. The prime example would be the 2011 Gabbert, Ponder and Locker. I would also say that wide receiver is also another hard position to evaluate and draft. Look at Aj Jenkins he was a good college player and is a horrible pro.

The easiest positions to draft are O-Line, a team can never have too many bigs and Rb's.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The back up long snapper!
It seems to be WR for us. QB is always a tough evaluation in the draft. Boom or bust. LT is a tough position to grade. CB can be boom or bust.
NGs typically are fielded to eat up spaces, occupy blockers, and clog the middle against the run. The get few opportunities to let it rip and get after the QB. Guys like Suh and Ngata are monsters that disrupt inside, but they're trying to fight through multiple blockers. DEs, in addition to usually only facing a single OT, have much more space to utilize to their advantage.
Originally posted by strickac:
NGs typically are fielded to eat up spaces, occupy blockers, and clog the middle against the run. The get few opportunities to let it rip and get after the QB. Guys like Suh and Ngata are monsters that disrupt inside, but they're trying to fight through multiple blockers. DEs, in addition to usually only facing a single OT, have much more space to utilize to their advantage.

I agree with the bolded. that's why its so hard to find a guy that can consistently win against 2 guys. To be big and strong enough to do that usually means your not fast enough to actually sack the "faster than you" QB. But what an advantage a defense has if your NT can get even 1/2 a sack a game! This means the offence has lost control of the middle of the LOS. Michael carter consistently brought pressure on passers from the middle. That's why he has a SB ring. A NT has to be 300-plus pounds and yet run a very quick 10 yard split, to be a pass rusher. This is much harder to find than a QB who can be anywhere from 5'10" 190 pound to 6'6" and 245 pounds. Of course a QB must have a lot more attributes than just his body size, But the QB body size means the potential pool is magnitudes bigger than the NT pool.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Without a doubt it's the Qb. How many first round Qb's have been busts in the NFL?
Historically wide receivers are the biggest risk. Not just for the niners, but just in general.
Theres only 32 QB starting positions in this world. It is the most important position in football. I would argue it is the most difficult position to draft. How do you know this young college kid can be the guy to lead your franchise? I would rather bust on WR than QB.
when you hitch your wagon to a QB from the 1st round, it can either make you or blow up in your face, QB is the toughest position to groom and develop by far
I think the hardest position to get a handle on is the hybrid defensive end - linebacker position. Vernon Gholston comes to mind, had all the tools but washed out.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I think the hardest position to get a handle on is the hybrid defensive end - linebacker position. Vernon Gholston comes to mind, had all the tools but washed out.

Not for us...we got Tomsula!