There are 170 users in the forums

Official 2014 Pro Days Thread

SMU QB Gilbert is one late rounder I have pegged as a 49ers potential target, and reportedly his workout went amazing: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337866/article/garrett-gilberts-strong-pro-day-will-boost-nfl-draft-stock

Not sure I see Gilbert making the meteoric rise that Brandt is suggesting though.

When all is said and done, I think he'll end up being a mid-round draft pick, maybe even as early as the third round.

One NFL scout at the workout, who was also at Brett Smith's pro day at Wyoming two weeks ago, told me he views Gilbert as a much better prospect than Smith. Many people thought Smith should have been invited to the combine.

Speaking of the combine, I thought Gilbert's workout was better than half of those who were in Indianapolis last month. He has good accuracy, very good velocity, and is a great athlete with NFL size.
49ers worked out the massive NT/DE prospect Mike Pennell (yes, he's actually projected as a possible outside contributor: Think Red Bryant with him). Very talented guy, but had suspensions while at Arizona State:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2014/04/01/mike-pennel-of-csu-pueblo-worked-out-by-49ers-scout/

Mike Pennel, DT (6-foot-4 1/4, 333 pounds) �€" Pennel, who has 32 5/8-inch arms, had a 27-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-8 broad jump. He stood on his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine in the 40-yard dash, short shuttle, three-cone drill and bench press. Pennel was worked out in the field drills by San Francisco 49ers regional scout Scott Brown. Pennel might be a third-day draft selection or a priority free-agent pickup following the 2014 NFL Draft.

For being 333 pounds, his combine numbers were pretty dang impressive in terms of athleticism: a 5.23 forty time, and a 7.94 three-cone.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM ]
Other SEC players who improve their stock a little with good pro days...

Tennessee RB Rajion Neal:
Rajion Neal, RB (5-11 1/8, 220) â€" Neal ran the 40 in 4.57 and 4.59 seconds. He had a 38-inch vertical and 9-foot-11 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.34 seconds and the three-cone in 7.20 seconds. He performed 28 lifts on the bench press. Neal really wowed scouts with his pass catching ability. After posting impressive numbers at Tennessee’s pro day and showing he can catch the ball out of the backfield, Neal might be a sixth- or seventh-round draft choice.

South Carolina CB Victor Hampton:
Victor Hampton, CB (5-9 3/4, 303) â€" Hampton ran the 40 in 4.58 and 4.64 seconds, and then stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine. Hampton has excellent coverage skills, moving around really well. However, he has had some off-the-field issues in the past.

Another possible extremely athletic late round CB 49ers may target in the 7th or UDFA, Washington CB Ducre:
Gregory Ducre, DB (5-10 1/4, 183) â€" Ducre ran the 40-yard dash in 4.34 and 4.32 seconds. He had a 35-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-6 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.00 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.56 seconds. He performed 17 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. Ducre had an impressive workout. This is a player who is a mystery man right now, but will have the 25 NFL teams in attendance scattering to dig out game film to check out who this guy is.

He did have OK production too: 44 tackles, 7 PBUs, 2 INTs, and 1.5 TFL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Miami OT Seantrel Henderson didn't help himself today - "quit" his Pro Day workout halfway through it. No explanation yet. Disappointing.
Jarvis Landry reportedly ran an official 4.58 at his Pro Day. a .2 second improvement is quite significant. He greatly improved his chances of going in the 2nd round with that run.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Jarvis Landry reportedly ran an official 4.58 at his Pro Day. a .2 second improvement is quite significant. He greatly improved his chances of going in the 2nd round with that run.

OTC, I'm sure you realize most prospects pro day times are always faster than the combine times. Every year, every prospect, it's the same thing. Running a 4.58 pro day vs. 4.7 at the combine is basically the same. It's really not an improvement imo. With that being said, I still like landry's craftiness and superb playmaking ability. Unfortunately, he is not the type of receiver that stretches the field.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:

OTC, I'm sure you realize most prospects pro day times are always faster than the combine times. Every year, every prospect, it's the same thing. Running a 4.58 pro day vs. 4.7 at the combine is basically the same. It's really not an improvement imo. With that being said, I still like landry's craftiness and superb playmaking ability. Unfortunately, he is not the type of receiver that stretches the field.

If he had run a 4.70 flat at the combine, I'd agree. However, a 4.58 vs a 4.77 is a definite improvement. For Pro Days, typically they tack on .05 - .10 seconds. .2 is indeed substantial. I believe Bruce Miller ran a 4.8 at the combine and a 4.67 at his Pro Day, and I think most of us would agree the second time is a better indicator of his athleticism.

All this said, however, after getting the rest of the workout results Landry really didn't help himself, and I spoke too soon. The measurables that have no variance in margin of error when it comes to recording them (vertical and broad jump), were not good still. 30 1/2 inches and 9-05 feet on the broad jump aren't anything special, and his shuttle and 3-cone times were terrible (4.59 / 7.59). And he weighed in 10 pounds lighter at 196.

I know the measurables aren't everything, but when you do so poorly across the board, you don't do yourself any favors. Landry probably is looking at the 3rd at his best bet now.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM ]

looks like his vertical actually went down two inches and his broad jump was bad, too. then he dropped 4 passes during receiving drills

i'm still a Landry fan, though.
Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

Dominique Easley/DL/Florida drawing heavy interest from Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, NE Patriots & San Fransisco 49ers...saying 2nd rnd
Share 49ersWebzone