There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

great and bad at developing..?

I seen this debate brought up in another forum so I thought id start it here and see all of your opinions..it all started basically asking what position we draft 1st and 2nd..and honestly it was an almost tie between taking a WR then CB or CB then WR..so my question is what position in yours eyes are we great and bad at developing and who out of that position did we develop the best all time and the worst all time..?

I say great at CB or RB Tremaine Brock ( personal opinion he will be a top 3 CB in the league ) Frank Gore by far..HOFer n best RB in SF history
bad at WR Rasaun Woods AJ Jenkins Brandon Williams ( who I thought was goin to be great lol )
[ Edited by jersey49er on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I seen this debate brought up in another forum so I thought id start it here and see all of your opinions..it all started basically asking what position we draft 1st and 2nd..and honestly it was an almost tie between taking a WR then CB or CB then WR..so my question is what position in yours eyes are we great and bad at developing..

I say great at CB or RB
bad at WR

I say we are great all over the defense, DL,OLB's, MLB's, and DB's. We are also good at developing OL, QB, and RB/FB based of Miller. I would say WR and TE are question marks.
I seen this debate brought up in another forum so I thought id start it here and see all of your opinions..it all started basically asking what position we draft 1st and 2nd..and honestly it was an almost tie between taking a WR then CB or CB then WR..so my question is what position in yours eyes are we great and bad at developing..

I say great at CB or RB
bad at WR
Who exactly have we "developed" at RB? Gore, who's been around for 10 years, no. Hunter? Debatable, though a solid backup. James? For a 2nd rounder, he shouldn't need developing, yet hasn't done anything but be a return man. Dixon? Good ST, not much of a RB honestly. Lattimore? Yet to be seen. Hampton? Not yet. Coffee? No. I'll include Bruce Miller, and say yes. So we've developed only a FB since drafting Gore.

And why are we bad at developing WRs? Missed on Jenkins, Ok I get that. Patton, so far has shown only flashes in limited time. Kyle Williams, who was a 6th rounder, out played his drafted position and stuck with the team for awhile and was even a #2 for a couple games in 2012. Think he was developed better than anticipated. Ronald Johnson, missed that one. Crabtree, shouldn't need developing as a top 10 pick, yet still the best WR we've had since TO. So we have 2 misses (Jenkins, Johnson) and 2 hits (Crabtree, Williams) with one to be determined. How us that bad at developing WRs?
Originally posted by Travisty13:

I say great at CB or RB
bad at WR
Who exactly have we "developed" at RB? Gore, who's been around for 10 years, no. Hunter? Debatable, though a solid backup. James? For a 2nd rounder, he shouldn't need developing, yet hasn't done anything but be a return man. Dixon? Good ST, not much of a RB honestly. Lattimore? Yet to be seen. Hampton? Not yet. Coffee? No. I'll include Bruce Miller, and say yes. So we've developed only a FB since drafting Gore.

And why are we bad at developing WRs? Missed on Jenkins, Ok I get that. Patton, so far has shown only flashes in limited time. Kyle Williams, who was a 6th rounder, out played his drafted position and stuck with the team for awhile and was even a #2 for a couple games in 2012. Think he was developed better than anticipated. Ronald Johnson, missed that one. Crabtree, shouldn't need developing as a top 10 pick, yet still the best WR we've had since TO. So we have 2 misses (Jenkins, Johnson) and 2 hits (Crabtree, Williams) with one to be determined. How us that bad at developing WRs?

ok RB Gore was 3RD RD pick..developed him to be a top 5 back in his prime..thats great and why we didn't draft many RBs...umm WRs we missed on so many..Jason Hill Rasheed Marshall Derrick Hamilton Ronald Johnson Brandon Williams Rasuan Woods AJ Jenkins...cmon now..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
IMO, i think we are best at developing linebackers
Skuta, Aldon, Bowman (although you could probably make a debate here that the only reason they are so dominant is because they learned/play with the best- P Willis)

Areas of opportunity-
WR
I want us to draft a WR, but i was kind of hoping we would target one in FA just in case Patton or whoever we draft doesn't develop
Originally posted by Quest4six:
IMO, i think we are best at developing linebackers
Skuta, Aldon, Bowman (although you could probably make a debate here that the only reason they are so dominant is because they learned/play with the best- P Willis)

Areas of opportunity-
WR
I want us to draft a WR, but i was kind of hoping we would target one in FA just in case Patton or whoever we draft doesn't develop

I agree with what pd 24 said..we are great at drafting and developing every position on D...
and me 2 i was hoping for them to sign a player who has something to prove and is hungry..like Britt or Nicks or Maclin..as for drafting a WR I think we will in the 2nd RD..prob trade up for him..i see lots of trades considering we have 11 picks but room for 6-7 rookies on the team ..really hoping for either Cooks or Beckham..who might be gone..
I agree with what pd 24 said..we are great at drafting and developing every position on D...
and me 2 i was hoping for them to sign a player who has something to prove and is hungry..like Britt or Nicks or Maclin..as for drafting a WR I think we will in the 2nd RD..prob trade up for him..i see lots of trades considering we have 11 picks but room for 6-7 rookies on the team ..really hoping for either Cooks or Beckham..who might be gone..

I want us to trade up as well, I feel that our teams depth is amazing so draft quantity before quality won't really help our team much this season. I think we are primed to make a SB run and I don't want 3 "good" WR out of this years draft, I'd rather trade two of those draft picks and move up and grab somebody who has the best chance at getting some playing time
Originally posted by Quest4six:

I want us to trade up as well, I feel that our teams depth is amazing so draft quantity before quality won't really help our team much this season. I think we are primed to make a SB run and I don't want 3 "good" WR out of this years draft, I'd rather trade two of those draft picks and move up and grab somebody who has the best chance at getting some playing time

me too..i want a WR and CB who are future starters and hopeful stars who get playing time this years..honestly we have the ammo to trade all over..early in the 1st and early in the 2nd..with our 3rd RD comp pick I want a SS who we can develop under Bethea..whos contract is set for him to basically be released in 2 yrs..
Yeah, in terms of our development history, we would be better served to draft a WR first, unless we can get Gilbert. Other than that, there are plenty of good CB's that we can develop.

I say great at CB or RB
bad at WR

ok RB Gore was 3RD RD pick..developed him to be a top 5 back in his prime..thats great and why we didn't draft many RBs...umm WRs we missed on so many..Jason Hill Rasheed Marshall Derrick Hamilton Ronald Johnson Brandon Williams Rasuan Woods AJ Jenkins...cmon now..

Completely different coaching staff and everything. No one besides Ronald Johnson and AJ Jenkins were with this current staff. How can you say we can't develop WRs when our current staff has rarely had a chance. If we pulling up players from the past, why not say we are great at drafting QBs then? I mean we developed Montana, Garcia, Young, Tittle, Brodie. Why not include them? Because it's irrelevant to the conversation. Including guys the staff the were never around is pointless.
Playcalling Has a LOT to do with WR development. The 49ers have been a run heavy offense since 2005 due to young QBs at the helm (Alex Smith,Shaun Hill,JTO,Troy Smith,Kap). The problem isn't the talent being drafted. The problem has been the lack of emphasis on the passing game. Its usually run run pass punt or run run pass 1st down.
I would like the 49ers to take a CB or a DT/DE with #30 and in round 2 somehow get WR Donte Moncrief 6'2 226 from Ole Miss.

I say great at CB or RB
bad at WR

Completely different coaching staff and everything. No one besides Ronald Johnson and AJ Jenkins were with this current staff. How can you say we can't develop WRs when our current staff has rarely had a chance. If we pulling up players from the past, why not say we are great at drafting QBs then? I mean we developed Montana, Garcia, Young, Tittle, Brodie. Why not include them? Because it's irrelevant to the conversation. Including guys the staff the were never around is pointless.

very good point..idk ill be honest im just afraid of the same thing happening that happened with AJ Jenkins..right now in so many eyes he should be our number 2 behind Crabs..which is why id for sure take a CB..move up for 1 of the top 3..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM ]

I say great at CB or RB
bad at WR

very good point..idk ill be honest im just afraid of the same thing happening that happened with AJ Jenkins..right now in so many eyes he should be our number 2 behind Crabs..which is why id for sure take a CB..move up for 1 of the top 3..

He had talent, but maybe his head isn't into being a pro. When the G.O.A.T. invites you to run the hill, you run the hill. If given the opportunity, he should have seized the chance to pick the brain of the best WR to ever do it. I'm not going to speak on Jenkins work ethic like I know how hard he works or doesn't. But to me it's telling we gave up on him so quickly. Quite possibly, maybe he showed up and just didn't seem to put in the work others would, and even with all the Harbaugh praise and compliments in the media (motivational tactic), he still just didn't want to put in the work. So the staff knew he was a lost cause and they sent him away.
It doesn't matter where you're drafted, you need to develope
There is no such thing as a complete player coming out of college!
If you are a finished product coming out of college (Ponder), you will fail in the NFL