LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 370 users in the forums

NC's Full Mock w/trades 3/26/14

Hey guys I told myself I was not going to do a mock this year but could not help myself. This year I did a mock to basically how I would hope it will go or that I could see happening. The past two years I tried to emulate Trent Baalke but in all reality I fail miserably in to knowing WTH he is going to do. So this is how MY WAY would end up.

To start things off I am trading LaMichael James to Cleveland for a 6th round pick in 2015 BUT could turn in to a 5th based on performance incintives. Yeah I know the team has said LMJ will not be traded but in all honesty I am not listening to that. We have looked at players that can potentionally do returns this offseason (particularly Devin Hester) so what does that tell you? We are not going to get what we gave up for LMJ (2nd) to be realistic because no team is willing to give up anywhere near that.

1) 1st Round: Kyle Fuller VT, CB - Traded up to pick 22 and gave Philly our 94th (3rd) overall pick to grab Fuller. With CIN and SD sitting there it is very possible they will be eyeing this kid. Good size and balance. Plays faster than he times thanks to keen instincts, anticipation and route recognition. Zone aware with good eyes, ball reactions and hands to intercept. Outstanding leaping ability. Willing run supporter. Has special-teams experience, including as a gunner and jammer. I am a huge Kyle Fuller fan and I just don't think we should let him slip from us even though he could possibly be there at 30. So Philly gets our 30th and 94th pick while we move up to 22 and grab Fuller.

2) 2nd Round: Allen Robinson Penn State, WR - Traded up (used Kansas City/Alex Smith pick 56) to the 37th overall pick to grab Robinson with Atlanta while giving them our 129th (4th) overall pick. Allen is a big fluid WR that has a chance to make plays in the redzone and be a future promising player for SF. He has great YAC ability and offers great ball skills. Will Robinson last this long? I don't know but it was between him and Donte Moncrief but decided to go with Robinson because I believe he has the better hands. I would not be upset with either or. ATL gets our 4th round (129th) pick.

3) 2nd Round: Pierre Desir Lindenwood, CB - This will be SF's first pick (61st) without doing any moving to draft the small school prospect. Outstanding body and arm length -- looks the part. Good athlete with loose hips and a fluid pedal. Superb two-year production on the ball. Natural interceptor -- attacks the ball in the air like a receiver and tracks it very well. Plays big in critical situations. Very confident demeanor. Outstanding zone instincts -- sees patterns developing and jumps routes. I love the kid.

4) 3rd Round: Martavis Bryant Clemson, WR - This will be the pick SF aquired from TN (77th) in the 2013 to grab the big bodied specimen. Excellent body length with a long, rangy frame. Very good straight-line, separation speed. Can drop his hips surprisingly well for as tall as he is and is fairly shifty after the catch. Good red-zone target -- effective making back-shoulder catches. Only thing is besides some of his drop issues he was kind of overshadowed by Hokpins and Watkins (Two first round picks) through his career and could be gone before the 77th pick. So far SF has drafted two bigger bodied playmaking threat WR's.

5) 3rd Round: Traded to Philly (for 22nd overall pick) 94th overall pick

6) 3rd Round: Dri Archer Kent State, RB/WR/KR/PR - This is the 100th overall compensatory pick SF was just awarded to grab this playmaker in college. Before people jump up and down talking about smurfs just remember Seattle has Harvin, St. Louis has Austin, Arizona has Ellington, and now we have Archer. This guy will be placed where (hopefully) Roman can find creative ways to get him the ball and out in space. This will be LMJ's replacement but will be able to do much more than him. Outstanding burst, acceleration and top-end speed to take the corner and create big plays. Can fly by MAC competition with top gear. Very good agility, balance, vision and creativity. Weaves through a crowd and can find daylight. Soft-handed and plucks the ball with ease. Extremely strong pound-for-pound. Very good career all-purpose yardage. Good versatility -- contributes as a runner, slot receiver and return man. Four career kickoff-return TDs (and was kicked away from).

7) 4th Round: 129th pick Traded to Atlanta (for 37th pick).

8) 5th Round: Aaron Murray Georgia, QB - There has been a trade where SF trades with TN for the 2nd year in a row to grab the QB from GA by trading their 7th round 242nd (7th round) pick to move up and grab TN's 151st. Has a quick release and is light enough on his feet to escape the first wave and make some plays on the move. Solid decision-maker -- takes what the defense gives him. Fine short-to-intermediate accuracy. Good intangibles. Encouraging team leader with a likeable personality. Leads by example. Serves well as the face of the program. Outstanding work ethic. Is very intelligent and football smart. Tore his ACL last season so his value dropped but he will be in good hands with Harbaugh.

9) 5th Round: Ahmad Dixon Baylor, SS - With their 170th pick the 49ers go with the hard hitting safety with character concerns in Ahmad Dixon. Very good size and straight-line speed. Is aggressive stepping downhill and supporting the run. Closes fast to the ball. Secure, wrap tackler. Takes efficient angles and is a reliable last line of defense. Good backside chase pursuit. Solid special-teams potential. Will be a good value pick for Baalke.

10) 7th Round: Traded to TN for 151st (5th round) pick which they required 242nd pick from us.

11) 7th Round: Spencer Long Nebraska, G - This will be SF's final pick in the draft. Good versatility -- has played inside and outside. Solidly built with a good frame. Good leg drive -- can create a push in the run game and position-sustain. Solid in pass protection -- good anchor, shadow and mirror. Good base and balance -- controls and steers defenders. Flashes some nastiness. Intense, competitive battler.

12) 7th Round: Traded to Green Bay for 2015 7th Round pick.

SF came in to the draft with 11 picks and drafted 8 players but only added 2 picks for next season. I have a feeling they will be doing a lot of moving around so who knows what will happen. I really doubt the draft will go this way but this is how I would like for it to go. I hope everyone will enjoy it and will appreciate feedback as well. Keep in mind Eric Wright, Chris Cook, and Perrish Cox signed 1 year league minimum deals so one or two of them will likely be gone before preseason is over.
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:08 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Nice work and nicely written. I really like Fuller, Bryant, Archer and Long where you picked them !

A few notes
I like Robinson but I´m more intrigued with Davante Adams or Jordan Matthews as depth and future Crabtree / Boldin replacements at the start of the 2nd but that is personal preference.
I dont think we will be able to have 3 QB´s on the 53 man roster and Blaine Gabberts $2,011,587 is fully guaranteed this year. They way Baalke is watching our dead money I think they thought very carefully about the addition of Gabbert and will not cut him for a rookie QB
I´m very low on Ahmad Dixon and would not trust him at all as our last line of defense. Would prefer Shamiel Gary or Daytawion Lowe here.

[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Nice work and nicely written. I really like Fuller, Bryant, Archer and Long where you picked them !

A few notes
I like Robinson but I´m more intrigued with Davante Adams or Jordan Matthews as depth and future Crabtree / Boldin replacements at the start of the 2nd but that is personal preference.
I dont think we will be able to have 3 QB´s on the 53 man roster and Blaine Gabberts $2,011,587 is fully guaranteed this year. They way Baalke is watching our dead money I think they thought very carefully about the addition of Gabbert and will not cut him for a rookie QB
I´m very low on Ahmad Dixon and would not trust him at all as our last line of defense. Would prefer Shamiel Gary or Daytawion Lowe here.

Thanks for the feedback and you have a great point on the QB situation. I did not think of that.
I like Fuller and it probably is realistic trading up a bit for him if that is Baalkes guy and he wants to secure him. I like Archer and think it's a must that we draft him.

Allen Robinson is good, but he's not what we need at receiver right now. He's too similar to Crabtree and is more of a possession receiver. Now you can argue that down the line, he'll be Boldin or Crabs replacement, but we need to draft for a need RIGHT NOW as opposed to addressing a possible replacement in the future. We need to look at receivers that can stretch the field and/or are quick shifty fast guys that can work the slot. Cooks, Beckham, and Moncrief are my top three guys to best compliment this offense one way or another. I'm not the biggest fan of Bryant, but wouldn't be mad if we got him as long as it was in the third or later. I kind of see him as a very poor mans randy moss or a Justin Hunter type of receiver. Don't think he's the most polished and complete receiver.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I like Fuller and it probably is realistic trading up a bit for him if that is Baalkes guy and he wants to secure him. I like Archer and think it's a must that we draft him.

Allen Robinson is good, but he's not what we need at receiver right now. He's too similar to Crabtree and is more of a possession receiver. Now you can argue that down the line, he'll be Boldin or Crabs replacement, but we need to draft for a need RIGHT NOW as opposed to addressing a possible replacement in the future. We need to look at receivers that can stretch the field and/or are quick shifty fast guys that can work the slot. Cooks, Beckham, and Moncrief are my top three guys to best compliment this offense one way or another. I'm not the biggest fan of Bryant, but wouldn't be mad if we got him as long as it was in the third or later. I kind of see him as a very poor mans randy moss or a Justin Hunter type of receiver. Don't think he's the most polished and complete receiver.

Have you know I was really considering those three WR's in the first two rounds. I scratched off Moncrief (who I originally picked) and went with Robinson because I don't like the way he sometimes body traps the ball. Other than that I love the guy.
Other than a pup list guy in rd 7 this is all receivers and secondary. No OL, DL or LB. 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and none used in the trenches.

I think it is possible Fuller could drop to us at 30 or at least get close enough to move up with a 5th rd pick a few spots. I don't know about moving up for Robinson. Just not sold enough on him to want to trade up for him. I think Desir could probably be drafted late 3rd round so it might be a bit of a reach in round 2. Dri Archer is probably late 4th round or 5th round so a bit of a reach there as well but you never know.

Why trade our last 7th rd pick for a 7th rd pick in 2015? 6th rd pick yes but a 7th? And Green Bay will probably be a late 7th rd pick. Might as well draft a player. Maybe a 7th rd pick from the Raiders or someone who might be drafting early.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Other than a pup list guy in rd 7 this is all receivers and secondary. No OL, DL or LB. 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and none used in the trenches.

I think it is possible Fuller could drop to us at 30 or at least get close enough to move up with a 5th rd pick a few spots. I don't know about moving up for Robinson. Just not sold enough on him to want to trade up for him. I think Desir could probably be drafted late 3rd round so it might be a bit of a reach in round 2. Dri Archer is probably late 4th round or 5th round so a bit of a reach there as well but you never know.

Why trade our last 7th rd pick for a 7th rd pick in 2015? 6th rd pick yes but a 7th? And Green Bay will probably be a late 7th rd pick. Might as well draft a player. Maybe a 7th rd pick from the Raiders or someone who might be drafting early.

Sorry I did not know we were going to make a big deal about who the 7th round pick would be traded to. I just did it so we did not have to sign that many rookies. We addresed the DL quite enough last year. Right now as it stands we have Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Dobbs, and Jerod-Eddie. That is a pretty solid squad that I don't think needs tampered with as of now besides bringing in some UDFA to compete for a chance for depth due to potential injury.
Love the write up! I think Fuller is gonna be great and would love to get him! Not a big Robinson fan think he is a little slow and doesn't really bring a new dimension to the team ( I'm on the Moncrief bandwagon like everyone else). I like Bryant because he has a lot of potential and can learn from Crabs and Boldin. Throw in a pass rusher (can't ever have enough) and it's a solid draft!!
Sub in Moncrief for Allen and I'll take it.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Sub in Moncrief for Allen and I'll take it.

Seems like that is who I should of went with but I changed from Moncrief to Robinson right before I handed in my ballett. I love Moncrief but I am skeptic how he hauls in passes.

I like the Bryant and Dri Archer picks. But with Osgood re-signed, the second WR selected would probably be inactive on game days. Or push Patton there. Archer will probably have to replace LaMichael James to remain on the team.

IMO, and from what Harbaugh is reported today to have said to reporters, the Niners will want someone with their first pick who can push Boldin and Crabtree for serious play time, even get equal time. I'm not sure Robinson brings the ability to get open that Harbaugh spoke about. With all the interest in Edelman, etc. this offseason, they may be looking at Cooks, Lee or Beckham.
Love the both Fuller and Desir! If we end up with either I would be happy. Desir almost has a wide receiver mind in that when the ball is in the air he's thinking "I'm gonna catch it" instead of some db's mind set of "I need to knock it down or get in position to make a tackle." Great explanations of why you chose the players you did so I'm not going to argue with you or tell you that you are wrong. Obviously nobody knows what Baalke is thinking but my guess is with all of the CB's on our roster he will grab one in the early rounds and one in the later rounds so I don't know if he will get both these guys or not. Personally I would love a Beckham/Cooks-Desir or Fuller-Mocrief in the first two. After that I see them going BPA. I definitely think they will do some moving around to get the guys they want though...no reason to use all of the picks. Might as well get value and picks for next year!
Trading up to pick #22 seems high...so I checked some other mocks that I've noted for decent credibility over the years:

Walter Football: #34
Draft Tek: #27
NFL Draft Geek: #25
Charlie Campbell: #34
Draft Calc: not in their 1st rd
Rob Rang: #28

I agree, Fuller would be a great pick...but don't think Baalke will need to trade up that far to get him. The other option is Verrett, who's smallish, but a real skilled baller. He's shown in most mocks @ #25 pick or so.

I'd prefer Matthews over Robinson for a couple of reasons. First is his consistent productivity at Vandy. Second is his work ethic, judged by many to be the best of any WR in this draft. Last is he's Jerry Rice's cousin (call it karma).

Love the Desir pick...he's got the long arms Baalke's looking for. Taking him could lend more credibility to Baalke grabbing Verrett earlier.

I like Bryant. That said, if Baalke takes Matthews in the 2nd, he could opt for one of the smaller guys like Herron to be the slot guy and a KR. I get that's why you picked Archer...but Herron's sturdier and was quite a playmaker in his own right for Wyoming.

Like Murray. I see Harbaugh's scouting Fales and Carr now. Fales could be another option, and James Franklin from Missouri. Agree, Murray would be in great hands w/Harbaugh, Chryst. Love Brett Smith from Wyoming, but he'll go earlier.

On the fence WRT Dixon. He can play, and hopefully he'll fall that far. Loston could be another option, albeit earlier, likely NLT rd 4.

Overall, I like your mock a lot. WRT DL or no DL, I'd be in favor of one. Yes, Carradine should emerge this season...he was drafted to eventually replace Justin Smith. The other guys, TJE, Dorsey, Williams and Dobbs are all on short contracts. Dial remains somewhat of a mystery. In the few snaps I saw him play, he hasn't learned how to use leverage yet. Tomsula could work his magic and he'll develop. If they're not confident he'll become a legit player, Baalke could take a DL anywhere in the draft, IMHO.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Trading up to pick #22 seems high...so I checked some other mocks that I've noted for decent credibility over the years:

I agree, Fuller would be a great pick...but don't think Baalke will need to trade up that far to get him. The other option is Verrett, who's smallish, but a real skilled baller. He's shown in most mocks @ #25 pick or so.

I'd prefer Matthews over Robinson for a couple of reasons. First is his consistent productivity at Vandy. Second is his work ethic, judged by many to be the best of any WR in this draft. Last is he's Jerry Rice's cousin (call it karma).

Love the Desir pick...he's got the long arms Baalke's looking for. Taking him could lend more credibility to Baalke grabbing Verrett earlier.

I like Bryant. That said, if Baalke takes Matthews in the 2nd, he could opt for one of the smaller guys like Herron to be the slot guy and a KR. I get that's why you picked Archer...but Herron's sturdier and was quite a playmaker in his own right for Wyoming.

Like Murray. I see Harbaugh's scouting Fales and Carr now. Fales could be another option, and James Franklin from Missouri. Agree, Murray would be in great hands w/Harbaugh, Chryst. Love Brett Smith from Wyoming, but he'll go earlier.

On the fence WRT Dixon. He can play, and hopefully he'll fall that far. Loston could be another option, albeit earlier, likely NLT rd 4.

Overall, I like your mock a lot. WRT DL or no DL, I'd be in favor of one. Yes, Carradine should emerge this season...he was drafted to eventually replace Justin Smith. The other guys, TJE, Dorsey, Williams and Dobbs are all on short contracts. Dial remains somewhat of a mystery. In the few snaps I saw him play, he hasn't learned how to use leverage yet. Tomsula could work his magic and he'll develop. If they're not confident he'll become a legit player, Baalke could take a DL anywhere in the draft, IMHO.

Didn't think about it until you said it but I definitely agree that if Baalke is going to take 2 CB's in the first two rounds it will be a nickle CB and a long CB, so Verrett and Desir or Fuller and whoever. With our current CB's I don't think they take 2 similar CB's with high picks.
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Didn't think about it until you said it but I definitely agree that if Baalke is going to take 2 CB's in the first two rounds it will be a nickle CB and a long CB, so Verrett and Desir or Fuller and whoever. With our current CB's I don't think they take 2 similar CB's with high picks.

Good point ^
Share 49ersWebzone