There are 231 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

2nd round.

Take Mathews or Moncrief.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We don't really need a WR on this team. Patton is open on every play and we don't even throw to him or look his way. We got Boldin, Crabtree and Davis. If you can't get it done with that you can't get it done. That's better than what 90% of teams have. That's enough. This team has big holes in the secondary at starting positions and depth. We need to fill a lot of those. The TD's went to Boldin, Crabtree, Davis. We don't even look to other guys anyway. Another WR would just run around like Patton and McDonald (TE) do now and never get the ball even when they are open. It won't help this team.

Every single year the WZ wants a WR. You can look at the board for the last decade and they tend to be WR obsessed. Look at Seattle. Their WR's were not that great. Certainly not in the upper echelon of the NFL. How did they win? Defense and SECONDARY. That's where they are better than us. Look at the Ravens the year before. Would you call that WR corps great other than Boldin who we now have? I don't think I would. Detriot has Megatron and drafts WR's every year. How many Super Bowls and winning seasons for that matter do you see them having? They got a QB throwing for 5,000 yards and they can't win a thing ever.

Defense, O Line, Run the ball, don't turn it over. That's how you win any NFL game. Especially so in the playoffs. That is our formula.

Baltimore has Torrey Smith whose a d*** good receiver that averages 17.0+ catch. They beat us by having receivers that could stretch the field. I do agree with you overall and would like to stick to picking a receiver in the 2nd but it really comes down to BPA for a position of need.

Really looks like the guys who compliment Boldin, Crabs and Davis will all be gone in the 2nd.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
Would you just look at the 2 of us? How far we've come my friend. Yeah I would love that draft, not sure if Landry is worth the 56 pick or not though. I do like the idea of getting a safety to groom in the 3rd or 4th round.
haha agreed my friend.
This looks to be a deep draft and i'm betting we could find a quality safety in the 3-4th round.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Baltimore has Torrey Smith whose a d*** good receiver that averages 17.0+ catch. They beat us by having receivers that could stretch the field. I do agree with you overall and would like to stick to picking a receiver in the 2nd but it really comes down to BPA for a position of need.

Really looks like the guys who compliment Boldin, Crabs and Davis will all be gone in the 2nd.

I think Moncrief, Landry, Beckham, Adams, Bryant, or even Richardson would compliment our WR set well.
All those guys could be there 2nd-3rd round
Wrong answer.

Or not. Plenty of guys such as Robert Herron, Bruce Ellington, Martavis Bryant and Paul Richardson will still be available.
Originally posted by buck:
Boldin, Crabtree, and Patton have to be considered good, but after them there is not much.
Our overall depth at wide receiver is weak. If I am not mistaken, over the last three years, injuries have exposed our lack of quality depth at wide receiver.

Mesh that lack of quality depth with the possibility that we could lose Crabtree after this year and the possibility that age could catch up to Boldin after this year.

In my estimation, we have a serious need at wide receiver. It appears that in this draft, we have a good chance to fix that need for years to come.

I will argue that we have a substantial need at safety. Reid and Bethea give us solid starters at safety, but I literally cringe when I look at the depth behind them. We have a need for at least one quality back up, and by quality I mean capable of being a starter.

Hopefully, Carradine will prove his is a future quality starter at DE. However, we do have two starters that are aging and that have hampered by injuries over the last two years. The seeming emergence Tony Jerod-Eddie and the coaching skill of Mr. Tomsula might mitigate against the selection of a DE early in the upcoming draft, but given the import of our front seven, I feel that we do have a need at DE. I would not be surprised to the team use our first round pick or one of our second round picks on a defensive end.

Unlike most, or what seems to be most forum members, I have a high degree of confidence in our cornerbacks. We have depth at cornerback. Culliver, Brock, Wright, and perhaps even Morris seem solid. Cook could end up being solid. But, even though I like our depth at corner, I do think that we are still lacking a clearly superior cornerback. There are in this draft few, perhaps only two truly superior prospects--Dennard and Gilbert.

I tend to believe that both of these players are somewhat overrated, but of the two I prefer Gilbert. If we do not trade up for Gilbert, I like Verrett in the first or second, and Phillip Gains in the second or third (my subjective overvaluation) and would not be opposed to gambling on Roby.

We have at least five picks in the first three rounds.

If the board breaks right, we can fulfill our needs early in this draft.

Agree pretty much down the line Buck! I'm a bit worried with the change in the DBs as a whole, but I'd be just as worried if we kept Rogers and Brown...will they be as good next year?

The way Baalke manages this roster is really amazing. He has filled almost ever position with a solid, if not great, veteran who can hold down the fort if a young guy doesn't come on strong. I worried about Reid replacing Goldson...but that worked out well. We can't over estimate our coaching staff...they are so damned solid.

So, where were our weaknesses at the end of the season:
Boldin a FA--resigned.
Whitner a FA--Bethea signed.
Rogers and Brown FAs--Cooks and Wright signed/extended.

No projected losses:
DL
LB
OL
WR
RB (expect for Dixon)
TE

Worries?
QB backup
4th/5th WRs
CB upgrade
S Backup

So our worries are about back ups and upgrades...not about immediate needs. What a wonderful, wonderful world...thank you Loius Armstrong!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree pretty much down the line Buck! I'm a bit worried with the change in the DBs as a whole, but I'd be just as worried if we kept Rogers and Brown...will they be as good next year?

The way Baalke manages this roster is really amazing. He has filled almost ever position with a solid, if not great, veteran who can hold down the fort if a young guy doesn't come on strong. I worried about Reid replacing Goldson...but that worked out well. We can't over estimate our coaching staff...they are so damned solid.

Boldin a FA--resigned.

No projected losses:
DL
LB
OL
WR
RB (expect for Dixon)
TE

Worries?
QB backup
4th/5th WRs
CB upgrade
S Backup

So our worries are about back ups and upgrades...not about immediate needs. What a wonderful, wonderful world...thank you Loius Armstrong!

I would have taken that out of the Worried stage and put it into the "Holes" stage
We have a hole at CB in our Nickel formation, I'm sorry but when you have Chris Cook and Eric Wright competing for a starting spot there is an issue. Also i'm not completely sold on Brock yet, he had a great year don't get me wrong... But I don't know if I want him as my 1st CB
I would prefer we bring somebody in with size, and athleticism
Like i've said 30 times on this thread, we need one of these three guys first
Gilbert/Fuller/Dennard

Then after we draft a WR we need to go again after
Baptise/McGill/Desir
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I would have taken that out of the Worried stage and put it into the "Holes" stage
We have a hole at CB in our Nickel formation, I'm sorry but when you have Chris Cook and Eric Wright competing for a starting spot there is an issue. Also i'm not completely sold on Brock yet, he had a great year don't get me wrong... But I don't know if I want him as my 1st CB
Gilbert/Fuller/Dennard

Baptise/McGill/Desir

Just for the sake of argument--you are picking 30th and for some strange reason everyone has passed on every WR and CB...do you pick Denard or Watkins?
Just for the sake of argument--you are picking 30th and for some strange reason everyone has passed on every WR and CB...do you pick Denard or Watkins?

Well, even though this would never happen I would have to go with Watkins.
Its easier for a WR to come out of college and make an impact on an NFL their first year than it is for a CB.

Plus, IMO, Watkins is a better WR than Dennard is CB

I get the point you are making though
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Boldin a FA--resigned.

No projected losses:
DL
LB
OL
WR
RB (expect for Dixon)
TE

Worries?
QB backup
4th/5th WRs
CB upgrade
S Backup

Gilbert/Fuller/Dennard

Baptise/McGill/Desir

I'm good with Brock as a definite starter and I think Culliver can be very very good & I think the staff feels the same way (evident in the reports we want to talk extension with him). Wright is a former starter that Baalke is obviously enamored with so I'm not all that worried about the secondary. Safety I feel like we've improved, I like Whitner, I just think Bethea is a better fit (a little better coverage wise, no stupid penalties, stout in run support just like DW). The amazing thing about how this roster has been constructed is that IMO it's no coincidence that the two positions we need to improve CB & WR are both deep in this draft. I really want Gilbert as well but if we end up taking someone else, or going WR with our first pick I trust in Baalke who has proven he's very good at finding good CBs later in the draft.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Or not. Plenty of guys such as Robert Herron, Bruce Ellington, Martavis Bryant and Paul Richardson will still be available.

Bryan's not a slot receiver and that's the need I was referring too. What happened to Mr we need small receivers to beat Seattle's corners? I don't necessary buy that but if that's our plan I'm not going to argue. It is a solid point so we may be looking for the best receiving prospect like Ty Hilton.

The other guys are fine but a step down the ladder. Richardson has durability issues but seems like the best choice, Ellington wasn't that productive, and I'd just pass on Herron.

You're also looking for someone who can be a starter if Crabtree bolts next year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Looks like most people think that we should use our 2nd pick on a WR and I get the logic seeing the way the passing game went last season. I still have to say the problem is not with our receivers,it's with our QB and OL. Why would you use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy that at best will be a number 3 receiver on a team that dose not use many 3 receiver sets. I see the need to get talent at the receiver position with the possibility of losing Crab and Boldin getting older but why not get a 3rd round WR that can develop behind our vets. Then we we can use our first three picks shoring up our secondary and maybe some Dline depth because I worry more about J Smith getting older than Boldin.lets face it At this point Tank is a complete unknown . But most of all Kap has to be able to find the open receiver and have the time to do it. You can have Rice and C Johnson lined up at receiver and it won't matter if Kap can't find one of them open
Originally posted by Andra:
Looks like most people think that we should use our 2nd pick on a WR and I get the logic seeing the way the passing game went last season. I still have to say the problem is not with our receivers,it's with our QB and OL. Why would you use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy that at best will be a number 3 receiver on a team that dose not use many 3 receiver sets. I see the need to get talent at the receiver position with the possibility of losing Crab and Boldin getting older but why not get a 3rd round WR that can develop behind our vets. Then we we can use our first three picks shoring up our secondary and maybe some Dline depth because I worry more about J Smith getting older than Boldin.lets face it At this point Tank is a complete unknown . But most of all Kap has to be able to find the open receiver and have the time to do it. You can have Rice and C Johnson lined up at receiver and it won't matter if Kap can't find one of them open

You have good points, but honestly the only position a rookie can make an impact on while on this roster is at WR or CB right now.
That's the benefit of having such a good team
If we drafted a lineman or even a QB nobody is going to take snaps away from the guys in front of them.
Plus, Kap is our QB now like it or not. We won't draft his replacement until 2020.
Originally posted by Andra:

Not that I'm against taking them but if we draft Tuitt or Hagalman they're barely going to see the field for the next 2 years. The same goes for a safety so it's not like the argument is any different than taking a receiver. Depth now starter down the road. The one exception to that is corner and maybe center but that will be a competition.

Here's thing about receivers though. Don't count on a rookie producing. You got to look ahead and get a replacement lined up for Crabs, Boldin down the road.
Bryan's not a slot receiver and that's the need I was referring too. What happened to Mr we need small receivers to beat Seattle's corners? I don't necessary buy that but if that's our plan I'm not going to argue. It is a solid point so we may be looking for the best receiving prospect like Ty Hilton.

The other guys are fine but a step down the ladder. Richardson has durability issues but seems like the best choice, Ellington wasn't that productive, and I'd just pass on Herron.

You're also looking for someone who can be a starter if Crabtree bolts next year.

From who exactly???
Share 49ersWebzone