LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

I think 50-50 Crrabtree will ask for 10 plus and we will not pay him, he held out when he first entered the league so I see this being a huge problem. We have to draft a WR and trade up to find his replacement like M. Lee would be awesome. WR first round a MUST
We don't really need a WR on this team. Patton is open on every play and we don't even throw to him or look his way. We got Boldin, Crabtree and Davis. If you can't get it done with that you can't get it done. That's better than what 90% of teams have. That's enough. This team has big holes in the secondary at starting positions and depth. We need to fill a lot of those. The TD's went to Boldin, Crabtree, Davis. We don't even look to other guys anyway. Another WR would just run around like Patton and McDonald (TE) do now and never get the ball even when they are open. It won't help this team.

Every single year the WZ wants a WR. You can look at the board for the last decade and they tend to be WR obsessed. Look at Seattle. Their WR's were not that great. Certainly not in the upper echelon of the NFL. How did they win? Defense and SECONDARY. That's where they are better than us. Look at the Ravens the year before. Would you call that WR corps great other than Boldin who we now have? I don't think I would. Detriot has Megatron and drafts WR's every year. How many Super Bowls and winning seasons for that matter do you see them having? They got a QB throwing for 5,000 yards and they can't win a thing ever.

Defense, O Line, Run the ball, don't turn it over. That's how you win any NFL game. Especially so in the playoffs. That is our formula.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
There's no reason we can't do both, SanDiego.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by matt49er:
dude you did a horrible job of explaining your points which I highlighted in previous reply's to you on this thread. You literally said we don't need someone to stretch the field we need someone who can run up field. Then you explained that further by saying why draft someone with speed who can't catch like anyone in the world is talking about getting a speed WR who can't catch the ball. Your points haven't made sense, you've consistently talked in circles doing a horrible job of articulating your points which you pretty much admitted. You can keep trying but I wouldn't suggest it.

Actually I didn't, I just don't think you understood it. I did say that, I just don't think you brain can comprehend what I meant.
I then tried explaining by using Keenan Allen as an example but you failed to realize that . People on here have been posting about how we need a WR with speed that we can just send on vertical routes to stretch the defense. Not my fault you joined this thread late without reading previous comments.

Again, I'll put this on the reading comprehension level of a 3rd grader so you can understand.

I don't want a WR who is known for being fast. The last couple WR who have been drafted because of their speed usually end up being busts. Those WR I listed were examples and have been known for having dropping issues.
Did I lose you yet?

I then claimed I wanted somebody who could catch and turn up field. AKA I'm implying that I want a receiver who has a high YAC % (hopefully abbreviations don't confuse you).
Implying that somebody has a high YAC% doesn't mean that they are always fast. CASE IN POINT ALLEN.

Now, do you have any further questions or have I lost you completely?

I like how in still talking football and your on here bashing my posts, what's your issue dude?

lol reading comprehension of a 3rd grader? Maybe if you weren't a noob on here you would understand that I know what I'm talking about. Go back and re-read your previous posts, they didn't make sense.
Originally posted by mayo49:

The earliest I would do it is the 2nd round or maybe the 3rd. No way 1st with all the CB's we lost. We need the best CB available. Maybe even trade up for one of real high value if they fall to a certain place.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Boldin, Crabtree, and Patton have to be considered good, but after them there is not much.
Our overall depth at wide receiver is weak. If I am not mistaken, over the last three years, injuries have exposed our lack of quality depth at wide receiver.

Mesh that lack of quality depth with the possibility that we could lose Crabtree after this year and the possibility that age could catch up to Boldin after this year.

In my estimation, we have a serious need at wide receiver. It appears that in this draft, we have a good chance to fix that need for years to come.

I will argue that we have a substantial need at safety. Reid and Bethea give us solid starters at safety, but I literally cringe when I look at the depth behind them. We have a need for at least one quality back up, and by quality I mean capable of being a starter.

Hopefully, Carradine will prove his is a future quality starter at DE. However, we do have two starters that are aging and that have hampered by injuries over the last two years. The seeming emergence Tony Jerod-Eddie and the coaching skill of Mr. Tomsula might mitigate against the selection of a DE early in the upcoming draft, but given the import of our front seven, I feel that we do have a need at DE. I would not be surprised to the team use our first round pick or one of our second round picks on a defensive end.

Unlike most, or what seems to be most forum members, I have a high degree of confidence in our cornerbacks. We have depth at cornerback. Culliver, Brock, Wright, and perhaps even Morris seem solid. Cook could end up being solid. But, even though I like our depth at corner, I do think that we are still lacking a clearly superior cornerback. There are in this draft few, perhaps only two truly superior prospects--Dennard and Gilbert.

I tend to believe that both of these players are somewhat overrated, but of the two I prefer Gilbert. If we do not trade up for Gilbert, I like Verrett in the first or second, and Phillip Gains in the second or third (my subjective overvaluation) and would not be opposed to gambling on Roby.

We have at least five picks in the first three rounds.

If the board breaks right, we can fulfill our needs early in this draft.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The earliest I would do it is the 2nd round or maybe the 3rd. No way 1st with all the CB's we lost. We need the best CB available. Maybe even trade up for one of real high value if they fall to a certain place.

My dream draft scenario has us trading up twice early, once to get a top CB like Gilbert or Dennard then again to get a WR like Cooks. Probably won't go down like that but it would be great if we could end up with 2 high impact guys at both positions like that.

My dream draft scenario has us trading up twice early, once to get a top CB like Gilbert or Dennard then again to get a WR like Cooks. Probably won't go down like that but it would be great if we could end up with 2 high impact guys at both positions like that.

Gilbert would be the guy that would improve this team the most IMO. But he would have to slide. If he is picked real early we just can't get him. We would still have to package a lot of picks if he does slide giving up other opportunities. I wouldn't mind Roby.

Gilbert would be the guy that would improve this team the most IMO. But he would have to slide. If he is picked real early we just can't get him. We would still have to package a lot of picks if he does slide giving up other opportunities. I wouldn't mind Roby.

I agree, I hope Dennard goes 1st among the CBs, I like Roby as well.

I agree with this,
I want Gilbert so badly, probably won't happen though

I've seen many scenarios where we are able to trade up, and still have somebody like Moncrief, Landry, or Beckham Jr still available
Could you imagine going
1. Gilbert
2. Landry
2. Moncreif
3. Baptise?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by regulator530:
I think 50-50 Crrabtree will ask for 10 plus and we will not pay him, he held out when he first entered the league so I see this being a huge problem. We have to draft a WR and trade up to find his replacement like M. Lee would be awesome. WR first round a MUST

I strongly opposed his hold out, but dang that was five years ago.

I am willing to let it go, and just chalk it up to youthful pride.

I agree with this,
I want Gilbert so badly, probably won't happen though

I've seen many scenarios where we are able to trade up, and still have somebody like Moncrief, Landry, or Beckham Jr still available
Could you imagine going
1. Gilbert
2. Landry
2. Moncreif
3. Baptise?

Would you just look at the 2 of us? How far we've come my friend. Yeah I would love that draft, not sure if Landry is worth the 56 pick or not though. I do like the idea of getting a safety to groom in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
How did our run first team do against Seattle at Clink? They didn't do so hot against Carolina or Green Bay for that matter. To think we have to rely on Gore again... No more dude. The run first mentality has not worked in 3 years. It's a fallacy.

BTW, I believe we were dead last in 3rd & short runs. That is not too impressive for a run first team.

The run first approach got us to a Super Bowl, and got Seattle a Super Bowl Championship . I would say that approach works just fine.

That stat about us being dead last on 3rd & short runs is BS. I'd like to see proof of that as I am 99% sure that the Raiders, Texans, Browns, and Jaguars own that category. Notice they also happen to be the worst teams in the NFL?

Seattle and Carolina both arguably have the top rushing defenses in the NFL, its obvious we didn't run well against them because they are stacked on the RunD. It was also snowing in GB, if you look up the stats for that game, both offenses struggled to get anything going.
Our run-first approach is the reason we became 13-3 and had an NFC championship game.

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Donte Moncrief is as talented as any WR we would get in the 1st

That being said, a 2-3rd round CB isn't as talented as one we would get in the 1st

My opinion we go

1. Trade up for Gilbert/Fuller
2. Moncreif
3. Stanley Jean Baptise (if you don't know who this is i suggest you educate yourself.)

I agree with this with this except, I would prefer Keith McGill in that 3rd slot.

McGill is pretty close to the same thing as Baptise, I like McGill as well but you can't ignore the vertical Baptise has.
Because Baptise played in a tougher conference than McGill, and in my opinion had a better season, I went with him.

McGill only had 1int last season despite being the top CB for Utah
Baptise is a converted WR and despite missing three games last season, and not having nearly as much playing time as McGill, had 4 picks

I am not saying our run game is our weakest part of our team but it's over-exaggerated. Regarding those 3 playoff games this year, you got excuses for everything. The run game didn't do much against New Orleans and NY Giants in 2011. Played much better in playoff games in 2012 due to Kaep bursting onto the scene. But then the RB running game was terrible again in 2013 again with 3 games played. All 3 were poor again with Green bay being one of the worst run D in the league. Heck, they were even missing starters like Clay Matthews. Maybe our run game is not as good as everyone thinks?

BTW, here's a link to some stats. Take a look at the stats based on down and distance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8479/frank-gore

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1989939-49ers-by-the-numbers-2013-stats-san-francisco-must-improve-in-2014/page/6

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to this site, the Niners ranked 29th in overall rushing stats and were stuffed in short yardage situations 25% of the time .

Thank you.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
IMO it comes down to scheme and predictability. The running game was fine but the offense played into defense's hands far too often. Also teams stayed in a loaded box consistently against the 49ers, they need to better spread defense's out in order to have more success with the running game.

Exactly, agreed %100.
I am not saying our run game is our weakest part of our team but it's over-exaggerated. Regarding those 3 playoff games this year, you got excuses for everything. The run game didn't do much against New Orleans and NY Giants in 2011. Played much better in playoff games in 2012 due to Kaep bursting onto the scene. But then the RB running game was terrible again in 2013 again with 3 games played. All 3 were poor again with Green bay being one of the worst run D in the league. Heck, they were even missing starters like Clay Matthews. Maybe our run game is not as good as everyone thinks?

BTW, here's a link to some stats. Take a look at the stats based on down and distance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8479/frank-gore

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1989939-49ers-by-the-numbers-2013-stats-san-francisco-must-improve-in-2014/page/6

True, you do make a good argument. I agree with you now, one thing I feel that has kept many teams from becoming the bottom on the NFL is their ability to be dynamic and adapt to the change happening in the game. I think our time with the power run scheme is coming to a close. I do still think that alot of our offense is built around it, but I would like to see some changes made. I think we need to start using a 3 WR set more often and open up our offense.

Solid post Kronik

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
There is no doubt the 49ers will try to extend Crabtree but it is no guarantee that they can. How much will he ask for? $8M? , $10M, $12M a year? What if he wants to go FA and test the waters? I am hopeful but it is not a given. Either way Boldin won't be here more than a couple of years. We need to develop his replacement and also need depth. If we lose 2 WR's to injury again this year like we did the last 2 seasons it would be nice to have some talented depth.

Thats true, and the one thing that worries me is Crabs is the same guy who held out on us over his rookie contract. If you see above I took Landry and Moncrief in the same draft, who I feel would both be solid replacements.
Plus, Kap would be a 10x better QB if we gave him more options that just Crabs, VD, and Boldin..
Like I said to Kronik, I want to see a 3 WR set become common in our offense.

I agree as well. With that being said, I still want our first pick to be either CB Kyle Fuller or CB Jason Verrett. But I would immediately target the best available WR in the next round or so (Moncreif, Matthews, Cooks, Beckham, Richardson) . It really will depend on who's available I guess.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone