There are 159 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

all depends on how the drat is going and where guys are falling
With the first 3 picks, I can see a CB in the 1st rd, a WR w/pick #56 (don't be surprised to see Baalke trade up) to get the guy they like the most. Could be Matthews, Adams, Moncrief, who knows. The last pick in the 2nd I can see another CB or a S.
We have two starting safeties locked up for the next four years to good contracts. There is zero need to draft a starting safety.

Whatever we do I hope we mix it up.

Hageman and Tuitt are not going to last until our second pick, so it would be nice to get one of them with our first pick.
Then we can go with some combination of WR CB C, with our second round picks.
Then we can mix it up from there.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
need + value = our pick
Unless we trade up for a WR...

CB - WR - S/DE - WR
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I hope we get one of each with the first 3 picks (CB, WR, S)...
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by matt49er:
lol no I'm not, not trying to sound like a jerk here man but do you seriously think I don't know the philosophy of this front office? I understand we take care of our own but it would be flat out stupid of us not to plan for a life w/o Boldin at the very least (an older vet w/a 2 year deal). This team needs a WR that can stretch the field, Crabs/Boldin are great WRs but neither is a field stretcher, we need that, aside from CBs we have no other pressing immediate need. Also are you naive enough to think that no matter what we will get back all of our guys as talented as this roster is? We have Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati, Crabs, Boone, Culliver, Hunter, Dorsey to extend as well. It's not some out of this world notion that Crabtree may just end up leaving via FA, it's not what I want, not what I envision but it may just happen. Passing on WRs until the 3rd round would be foolish and it won't happen.

In a way it sounded like you didn't.
I understand we need to prepare for a life without Boldin, but hopefully by the time we already have a SB ring.
If you think we need to draft a WR with our 1st pick then you are on the wrong side of the bay area.

We don't need a WR that can stretch a field, if that is the case why don't we just go after Heyward Bay? Or Jacoby Ford? Or AJ Jenkins? Marquise Goodwin?
We need a playmaker that can run upfield, and luckily in this years draft we can get that because WR are deep this year.

CB's however are not, and I feel our most immediate need and biggest hole preventing us from getting to another NFC game is our secondary.
Case in point, the difference between Moncrief and Benjamin is far less than the difference between Fuller and McGill

Bold=proof that your knowledge of the 49ers is severely lacking my friend. We don't need a WR that can stretch the field, we need a playmaker that can run up field? What does that even mean? What we need here is a deep threat to say it with me....stretch the field and help open up things in the running game, the short to mid passing game etc. Why didn't we go after Heyward Bay, Jacoby Ford? WTF are you talking about man? We have shown interest in several FA WRs who fit the mold I'm describing. AJ Jenkins? We had him and he sucked remember?

Nobody is arguing with you that the secondary needs help (at least I'm not) we need another CB, maybe 2 but we're fine at safety (starters, depth wouldn't hurt). I guess the easiest way I can break it down for you is this, we have 2 immediate needs, CB and WR. We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, this draft is extremely deep overall, especially at WR and CB. Passing up on one of those 2 needs would be beyond stupid in the first 2 rounds (another inaccuracy in your reply to me, I never said we need to spend a 1st round pick on a WR, I addressed the issue of waiting until the 3rd round, try & pay better attention next time).

Have you even paid attention to what the 49ers have done this off season? They have looked hard at a bunch of CBs and WRs and have only signed one min salary CB, what does that tell you about where the minds of this FO is at heading into the draft?
BPA CB or WR in the first and second, with one pick left over for...any great player that pops up.
Originally I was going to post this to prove my point in drafting a CB first,
I've done a couple draft sims and honestly because this draft is so deep i think Baalke will just take whatever is there
For example my first spin came out with

WR BRANDIN COOKS (obvious reasons)
OREGON STATE

DE STEPHON TUITT (obvious reasons)
NOTRE DAME

CB E.J. GAINES (played in a similar defense, also we tend to do pretty well with Mizzou defensive players)
MISSOURI

C TRAVIS SWANSON (fill in for Goodwin)
ARKANSAS

WR MARTAVIS BRYANT (I really like this pick here because I feel he could help TREMENDOUSLY on our red-zone percentage)
CLEMSON

CB VICTOR HAMPTON (good size, adds depth to our nickel package)
SOUTH CAROLINA

Then I tried again and got

CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH

WR DONTE MONCRIEF
MISSISSIPPI

WR JARVIS LANDRY
LSU

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

DE TRENT MURPHY
STANFORD

DT JUSTIN ELLIS
LOUISIANA TECH
Bold=proof that your knowledge of the 49ers is severely lacking my friend. We don't need a WR that can stretch the field, we need a playmaker that can run up field? What does that even mean? What we need here is a deep threat to say it with me....stretch the field and help open up things in the running game, the short to mid passing game etc. Why didn't we go after Heyward Bay, Jacoby Ford? WTF are you talking about man? We have shown interest in several FA WRs who fit the mold I'm describing. AJ Jenkins? We had him and he sucked remember?

Nobody is arguing with you that the secondary needs help (at least I'm not) we need another CB, maybe 2 but we're fine at safety (starters, depth wouldn't hurt). I guess the easiest way I can break it down for you is this, we have 2 immediate needs, CB and WR. We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, this draft is extremely deep overall, especially at WR and CB. Passing up on one of those 2 needs would be beyond stupid in the first 2 rounds (another inaccuracy in your reply to me, I never said we need to spend a 1st round pick on a WR, I addressed the issue of waiting until the 3rd round, try & pay better attention next time).

Have you even paid attention to what the 49ers have done this off season? They have looked hard at a bunch of CBs and WRs and have only signed one min salary CB, what does that tell you about where the minds of this FO is at heading into the draft?

I don't post on here to bash other niner followers or make fun of their knowledge on the team, I expect the same respect from you.

I think whats going on here is I am not doing a great job at explaining my points, or you just aren't getting it.
Implying that we need somebody to stretch a field is saying we need a WR with speed. The reason i listed those other WR are because they were drafted in high rounds because of their ability to stretch a field (aka they were fast).
I used them because they all turned out to be busts, and didn't play well for the teams they were drafted onto.

When I say I want a player who can run up-field, I'm talking about somebody who is agile and fast. I don't want a player that we just send downfield, if he can't catch then its pointless to even put him on the field (hence the WRs i listed)

I want somebody like a Golden Tate, or even a Keenan Allen, somebody that can run routes well and when they get the ball, have that breakaway agility and speed that will demand attention from the opposing secondary.
I want to bring up Allen again because of what he has done for the Chargers. By no means is Allen a fast guy, in fact he failed to break 4.7 in his combine.
But look what he has done for the Chargers, he has that play-maker ability I want and can still threaten defenses by getting up-field after a catch.

I have paid attention to what we have done this offseason, probably alot more than you have.
If you want to respond to my post, please give me the same respect I am giving you. I would hate to make you look like an ignorant D-bag on here.

Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by kronik:
How did our run first team do against Seattle at Clink? They didn't do so hot against Carolina or Green Bay for that matter. To think we have to rely on Gore again... No more dude. The run first mentality has not worked in 3 years. It's a fallacy.

BTW, I believe we were dead last in 3rd & short runs. That is not too impressive for a run first team.

The run first approach got us to a Super Bowl, and got Seattle a Super Bowl Championship . I would say that approach works just fine.

That stat about us being dead last on 3rd & short runs is BS. I'd like to see proof of that as I am 99% sure that the Raiders, Texans, Browns, and Jaguars own that category. Notice they also happen to be the worst teams in the NFL?

Seattle and Carolina both arguably have the top rushing defenses in the NFL, its obvious we didn't run well against them because they are stacked on the RunD. It was also snowing in GB, if you look up the stats for that game, both offenses struggled to get anything going.
Our run-first approach is the reason we became 13-3 and had an NFC championship game.

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Donte Moncrief is as talented as any WR we would get in the 1st

That being said, a 2-3rd round CB isn't as talented as one we would get in the 1st

My opinion we go

1. Trade up for Gilbert/Fuller
2. Moncreif
3. Stanley Jean Baptise (if you don't know who this is i suggest you educate yourself.)

I agree with this with this except, I would prefer Keith McGill in that 3rd slot.

McGill is pretty close to the same thing as Baptise, I like McGill as well but you can't ignore the vertical Baptise has.
Because Baptise played in a tougher conference than McGill, and in my opinion had a better season, I went with him.

McGill only had 1int last season despite being the top CB for Utah
Baptise is a converted WR and despite missing three games last season, and not having nearly as much playing time as McGill, had 4 picks

I am not saying our run game is our weakest part of our team but it's over-exaggerated. Regarding those 3 playoff games this year, you got excuses for everything. The run game didn't do much against New Orleans and NY Giants in 2011. Played much better in playoff games in 2012 due to Kaep bursting onto the scene. But then the RB running game was terrible again in 2013 again with 3 games played. All 3 were poor again with Green bay being one of the worst run D in the league. Heck, they were even missing starters like Clay Matthews. Maybe our run game is not as good as everyone thinks?

BTW, here's a link to some stats. Take a look at the stats based on down and distance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8479/frank-gore

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1989939-49ers-by-the-numbers-2013-stats-san-francisco-must-improve-in-2014/page/6
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM ]
yeah sure let's wait till round 3 to fill one of our 2 real needs on this roster. Crabs is in his contract season, Boldin is old and has a 2 year deal, Patton is unproven, we NEED a WR not just for now but for the future and this is a very deep WR class where we can get a starter quality wideout in the 2nd round. Our safties are fine, we have a couple CBs but really only Brock is proven in the sense that Culliver is coming off a major injury and Wright hasn't been really productive in a couple years. This is pure noob logic.

I'm struggling to understand why people who are posting about needing to get a WR because Crabs is in the final contract year.
Are you the same people who were calling for Baalke's head when he didn't apeshi^ during FA like Elway did?

Clearly we take care of our own, we will do that when Crabs is a FA and not to mention Harbs won't let the chemistry Crabs and Kap have walk away because of cap space. Again, we take care of our own.

There is no doubt the 49ers will try to extend Crabtree but it is no guarantee that they can. How much will he ask for? $8M? , $10M, $12M a year? What if he wants to go FA and test the waters? I am hopeful but it is not a given. Either way Boldin won't be here more than a couple of years. We need to develop his replacement and also need depth. If we lose 2 WR's to injury again this year like we did the last 2 seasons it would be nice to have some talented depth.
I don't think so. The Niners will go BPA and they have the opportunity to move up with all the picks they have. If someone like a Mike Evans is available in a trade up scenario in the 15 - 20 pick range, I can see Baalke making that move just as much as they would move up for a Darqueze Dennard.
Originally posted by kronik:
I am not saying our run game is our weakest part of our team but it's over-exaggerated. Regarding those 3 playoff games this year, you got excuses for everything. The run game didn't do much against New Orleans and NY Giants in 2011. Played much better in playoff games in 2012 due to Kaep bursting onto the scene. But then the RB running game was terrible again in 2013 again with 3 games played. All 3 were poor again with Green bay being one of the worst run D in the league. Heck, they were even missing starters like Clay Matthews. Maybe our run game is not as good as everyone thinks?

BTW, here's a link to some stats. Take a look at the stats based on down and distance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8479/frank-gore

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1989939-49ers-by-the-numbers-2013-stats-san-francisco-must-improve-in-2014/page/6

True, you do make a good argument. I agree with you now, one thing I feel that has kept many teams from becoming the bottom on the NFL is their ability to be dynamic and adapt to the change happening in the game. I think our time with the power run scheme is coming to a close. I do still think that alot of our offense is built around it, but I would like to see some changes made. I think we need to start using a 3 WR set more often and open up our offense.

Solid post Kronik

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
There is no doubt the 49ers will try to extend Crabtree but it is no guarantee that they can. How much will he ask for? $8M? , $10M, $12M a year? What if he wants to go FA and test the waters? I am hopeful but it is not a given. Either way Boldin won't be here more than a couple of years. We need to develop his replacement and also need depth. If we lose 2 WR's to injury again this year like we did the last 2 seasons it would be nice to have some talented depth.

Thats true, and the one thing that worries me is Crabs is the same guy who held out on us over his rookie contract. If you see above I took Landry and Moncrief in the same draft, who I feel would both be solid replacements.
Plus, Kap would be a 10x better QB if we gave him more options that just Crabs, VD, and Boldin.
Like I said to Kronik, I want to see a 3 WR set become common in our offense.

Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
We have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds and we don't need to go corner, corner, corner.

How about corner safety corner or corner safety linebacker
LB!? wtf for?
Share 49ersWebzone