LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

How did our run first team do against Seattle at Clink? They didn't do so hot against Carolina or Green Bay for that matter. To think we have to rely on Gore again... No more dude. The run first mentality has not worked in 3 years. It's a fallacy.

BTW, I believe we were dead last in 3rd & short runs. That is not too impressive for a run first team.

All that said, I'm hoping CB Kyle Fuller is our first round pick. WR Moncreif in the 2nd if possible. I want S Buchannon in the 2nd as well
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by Andra:
There is a lot of talk about the niners drafting a WR 1st or 2nd in this years draft ether a quick shifty receiver or a big CB over powering type. I for my part would like to see them pick up a red zone threat or even better have Vance McDonald develop into the the red zone go to guy that we all hoped he would be. No matter what kind of receiver they pickup I don't want the niners to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on him. Would much rather niners go 1st CB 2nd S. The reasons are I think obvious 1st those are the positions that were lost as FA's. 2nd niners are a run first team,no need using a early pick for a guy that might not see the field very much as a 3rd maybe 4th receiver option.

I am going to suggest a few more things and niner fans might not like to here very much but in my opinion is true.1st I think that we have 3 great receivers in Crab,Boldin, and Patton that created space and got open all season and many times Kap was unable to find the open receiver, not that it was all Kaps fault. Which brings me to my next point we have a great OL playing the run but gives average at best pass protection. Kap is a big guy that needs space and time to throw.I really think the game is going to slow down for Kap next season and he is going to be able to connect with his receivers.

Let's shore up our secondary in the first 2 rounds then go for a receiver . What do you think.

The 49ers don't need a clear cut starter at any position. We have starting safties nd our 2 starting CB's in Culliver and Brock and a 3rd CB with some experience in Wright. That being said I would like to see us draft a couple of CB's including at least 1 early and a safety to develop to become a starter after a season or two.

I like our Wr's. Our redzone problems have nothing to do with receiving talent. Crabtree is great. Boldin scored on us in the redzone in the superbowl and has always been tough. How many TE's have more TD's than Davis the last couple of years? Our redzone problems are a combination of conservative play calling and a young QB. The 49ers formula has been protect the FG and count on your defense to win the last 3 years. Unless we are behind and Need a TD we don't really go for it.

As for drafting WR's. We should. We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and WR is the deepest position in the draft. We should try to get 1 in the 1st 2 rounds and another in rounds 3-4 as well.

A. Take advantage of the fact that you can get 1st round talent in RD 2 and second round talent in round 3 and possibly 4 because of the depth at WR.

B. Boldin is only signed for 2 yrs and Crabtree for 1 yr. We don't know if we will be able to resign Crabtree. He will be very expensive. Boldin could be retired or near retired in 2 years.

C. It usually takes a season or 2 to develop WR's. Look at TO's rookie year or Patton or Crabtree or John Taylor. We need to start the process now. Not after Crabtree or Boldin leaves.

D. 2 years in a row we have lost 2 WR's to injury. This past season only Boldin was a viable WR for over half a year and we lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. If we had won just 1 more game we would have been the #1 seed with a bye week and home field advantage. If the seahawks made it to the championship game it would have been on our field where we beat them 2 years in a row. It would have been us spanking the Donkeys in the superbowl. We need the depth. We need to start preparing young WR's for the future. The talent is there in the draft and we have the picks to do it. If we spend 2 picks at WR in the 1st 4 rounds that leaves us 5 more for other positions in the 1st 4 rounds with 4 more picks later in the draft as well.

co signed.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM ]
Donte Moncrief is as talented as any WR we would get in the 1st

That being said, a 2-3rd round CB isn't as talented as one we would get in the 1st

My opinion we go

1. Trade up for Gilbert/Fuller
2. Moncreif
3. Stanley Jean Baptise (if you don't know who this is i suggest you educate yourself.)
Originally posted by kronik:
How did our run first team do against Seattle at Clink? They didn't do so hot against Carolina or Green Bay for that matter. To think we have to rely on Gore again... No more dude. The run first mentality has not worked in 3 years. It's a fallacy.

BTW, I believe we were dead last in 3rd & short runs. That is not too impressive for a run first team.

The run first approach got us to a Super Bowl, and got Seattle a Super Bowl Championship . I would say that approach works just fine.
Originally posted by Quest4six:

That being said, a 2-3rd round CB isn't as talented as one we would get in the 1st

My opinion we go

2. Moncreif
3. Stanley Jean Baptise (if you don't know who this is i suggest you educate yourself.)

I agree with this with this except, I would prefer Keith McGill in that 3rd slot.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

The run first approach got us to a Super Bowl, and got Seattle a Super Bowl Championship . I would say that approach works just fine.

That stat about us being dead last on 3rd & short runs is BS. I'd like to see proof of that as I am 99% sure that the Raiders, Texans, Browns, and Jaguars own that category. Notice they also happen to be the worst teams in the NFL?

Seattle and Carolina both arguably have the top rushing defenses in the NFL, its obvious we didn't run well against them because they are stacked on the RunD. It was also snowing in GB, if you look up the stats for that game, both offenses struggled to get anything going.
Our run-first approach is the reason we became 13-3 and had an NFC championship game.

Originally posted by 60sFan:

My opinion we go

2. Moncreif

I agree with this with this except, I would prefer Keith McGill in that 3rd slot.

McGill is pretty close to the same thing as Baptise, I like McGill as well but you can't ignore the vertical Baptise has.
Because Baptise played in a tougher conference than McGill, and in my opinion had a better season, I went with him.

McGill only had 1int last season despite being the top CB for Utah
Baptise is a converted WR and despite missing three games last season, and not having nearly as much playing time as McGill, had 4 picks
yeah sure let's wait till round 3 to fill one of our 2 real needs on this roster. Crabs is in his contract season, Boldin is old and has a 2 year deal, Patton is unproven, we NEED a WR not just for now but for the future and this is a very deep WR class where we can get a starter quality wideout in the 2nd round. Our safties are fine, we have a couple CBs but really only Brock is proven in the sense that Culliver is coming off a major injury and Wright hasn't been really productive in a couple years. This is pure noob logic.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 49ers don't need a clear cut starter at any position. We have starting safties nd our 2 starting CB's in Culliver and Brock and a 3rd CB with some experience in Wright. That being said I would like to see us draft a couple of CB's including at least 1 early and a safety to develop to become a starter after a season or two.

I like our Wr's. Our redzone problems have nothing to do with receiving talent. Crabtree is great. Boldin scored on us in the redzone in the superbowl and has always been tough. How many TE's have more TD's than Davis the last couple of years? Our redzone problems are a combination of conservative play calling and a young QB. The 49ers formula has been protect the FG and count on your defense to win the last 3 years. Unless we are behind and Need a TD we don't really go for it.

As for drafting WR's. We should. We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and WR is the deepest position in the draft. We should try to get 1 in the 1st 2 rounds and another in rounds 3-4 as well.

A. Take advantage of the fact that you can get 1st round talent in RD 2 and second round talent in round 3 and possibly 4 because of the depth at WR.

B. Boldin is only signed for 2 yrs and Crabtree for 1 yr. We don't know if we will be able to resign Crabtree. He will be very expensive. Boldin could be retired or near retired in 2 years.

C. It usually takes a season or 2 to develop WR's. Look at TO's rookie year or Patton or Crabtree or John Taylor. We need to start the process now. Not after Crabtree or Boldin leaves.

D. 2 years in a row we have lost 2 WR's to injury. This past season only Boldin was a viable WR for over half a year and we lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. If we had won just 1 more game we would have been the #1 seed with a bye week and home field advantage. If the seahawks made it to the championship game it would have been on our field where we beat them 2 years in a row. It would have been us spanking the Donkeys in the superbowl. We need the depth. We need to start preparing young WR's for the future. The talent is there in the draft and we have the picks to do it. If we spend 2 picks at WR in the 1st 4 rounds that leaves us 5 more for other positions in the 1st 4 rounds with 4 more picks later in the draft as well.

Cullliver is coming off ACL that makes his performance questionable,Brock's aggressive style makes him susceptible to being beat ,and though Bethea is a good pickup I would love to get Jimmie Ward (pipe dream) as FS and have Reid play more in the box.
Because this years WR class is so deep we can pickup a guy in the 3rd round and develop him to be ready in a season or two when we need him

All that said, I'm hoping CB Kyle Fuller is our first round pick. Moncreif in the 2nd if possible

For sure
I think not have a deep threat limited our run game though, It gives the safety significantly more cushion to play the run

Edit: Not a fan of Bucannon though he's a play maker and hard hitter (Goldson) but not constant and sometimes whiffs
[ Edited by Since07 on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
yeah sure let's wait till round 3 to fill one of our 2 real needs on this roster. Crabs is in his contract season, Boldin is old and has a 2 year deal, Patton is unproven, we NEED a WR not just for now but for the future and this is a very deep WR class where we can get a starter quality wideout in the 2nd round. Our safties are fine, we have a couple CBs but really only Brock is proven in the sense that Culliver is coming off a major injury and Wright hasn't been really productive in a couple years. This is pure noob logic.

I'm struggling to understand why people who are posting about needing to get a WR because Crabs is in the final contract year.
Are you the same people who were calling for Baalke's head when he didn't apeshi^ during FA like Elway did?

Clearly we take care of our own, we will do that when Crabs is a FA and not to mention Harbs won't let the chemistry Crabs and Kap have walk away because of cap space. Again, we take care of our own.

I'm struggling to understand why people who are posting about needing to get a WR because Crabs is in the final contract year.
Are you the same people who were calling for Baalke's head when he didn't apeshi^ during FA like Elway did?

Clearly we take care of our own, we will do that when Crabs is a FA and not to mention Harbs won't let the chemistry Crabs and Kap have walk away because of cap space. Again, we take care of our own.

lol no I'm not, not trying to sound like a jerk here man but do you seriously think I don't know the philosophy of this front office? I understand we take care of our own but it would be flat out stupid of us not to plan for a life w/o Boldin at the very least (an older vet w/a 2 year deal). This team needs a WR that can stretch the field, Crabs/Boldin are great WRs but neither is a field stretcher, we need that, aside from CBs we have no other pressing immediate need. Also are you naive enough to think that no matter what we will get back all of our guys as talented as this roster is? We have Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati, Crabs, Boone, Culliver, Hunter, Dorsey to extend as well. It's not some out of this world notion that Crabtree may just end up leaving via FA, it's not what I want, not what I envision but it may just happen. Passing on WRs until the 3rd round would be foolish and it won't happen.
Originally posted by Since07:

All that said, I'm hoping CB Kyle Fuller is our first round pick. Moncreif in the 2nd if possible

For sure
I think not have a deep threat limited our run game though, It gives the safety significantly more cushion to play the run

Edit: Not a fan of Bucannon though he's a play maker and hard hitter (Goldson) but not constant and sometimes whiffs

AGreed, I think he can be trained to fix those problems tho. Can't deny the physical talent and the passion he plays with
We can speculate all we want. We have no clue who or what they want or what their plan is. Odds are they have a plan and they will take whomever they have slotted for that spot barring a trade up or down. I really think they go BPA at a need or a projected need with the first pick and maybe trade up for the next pick for an immediate need. I see that happening with the rest of the day 2 picks unless they trade back and pick up one for next year. The only team I see with a potentially more enviable draft situation is St. Louis. We can thank Washington for that.

Maybe you're right maybe we do extend Crabtree well Boldin's going to be 34 years old and this 2 year deal is pretty much it for him. Either way you're looking for a future starter.

Or we could draft a slot receiver like Cooks who could actually compliment Boldin and Crabs.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM ]
lol no I'm not, not trying to sound like a jerk here man but do you seriously think I don't know the philosophy of this front office? I understand we take care of our own but it would be flat out stupid of us not to plan for a life w/o Boldin at the very least (an older vet w/a 2 year deal). This team needs a WR that can stretch the field, Crabs/Boldin are great WRs but neither is a field stretcher, we need that, aside from CBs we have no other pressing immediate need. Also are you naive enough to think that no matter what we will get back all of our guys as talented as this roster is? We have Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati, Crabs, Boone, Culliver, Hunter, Dorsey to extend as well. It's not some out of this world notion that Crabtree may just end up leaving via FA, it's not what I want, not what I envision but it may just happen. Passing on WRs until the 3rd round would be foolish and it won't happen.

In a way it sounded like you didn't.
I understand we need to prepare for a life without Boldin, but hopefully by the time we already have a SB ring.
If you think we need to draft a WR with our 1st pick then you are on the wrong side of the bay area.

We don't need a WR that can stretch a field, if that is the case why don't we just go after Heyward Bay? Or Jacoby Ford? Or AJ Jenkins? Marquise Goodwin?
We need a playmaker that can run upfield, and luckily in this years draft we can get that because WR are deep this year.

CB's however are not, and I feel our most immediate need and biggest hole preventing us from getting to another NFC game is our secondary.
Case in point, the difference between Moncrief and Benjamin is far less than the difference between Fuller and McGill
Share 49ersWebzone