There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No WR until the 3rd round

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Just grab Landry.

Amen. I wouldn't mind Landry in the 2nd. Kid is a baller.

Totally agree!
  • Phil
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by Andra:
There is a lot of talk about the niners drafting a WR 1st or 2nd in this years draft ether a quick shifty receiver or a big CB over powering type. I for my part would like to see them pick up a red zone threat or even better have Vance McDonald develop into the the red zone go to guy that we all hoped he would be. No matter what kind of receiver they pickup I don't want the niners to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on him. Would much rather niners go 1st CB 2nd S. The reasons are I think obvious 1st those are the positions that were lost as FA's. 2nd niners are a run first team,no need using a early pick for a guy that might not see the field very much as a 3rd maybe 4th receiver option.

I am going to suggest a few more things and niner fans might not like to here very much but in my opinion is true.1st I think that we have 3 great receivers in Crab,Boldin, and Patton that created space and got open all season and many times Kap was unable to find the open receiver, not that it was all Kaps fault. Which brings me to my next point we have a great OL playing the run but gives average at best pass protection. Kap is a big guy that needs space and time to throw.I really think the game is going to slow down for Kap next season and he is going to be able to connect with his receivers.

Let's shore up our secondary in the first 2 rounds then go for a receiver . What do you think.

The 49ers don't need a clear cut starter at any position. We have starting safties nd our 2 starting CB's in Culliver and Brock and a 3rd CB with some experience in Wright. That being said I would like to see us draft a couple of CB's including at least 1 early and a safety to develop to become a starter after a season or two.

I like our Wr's. Our redzone problems have nothing to do with receiving talent. Crabtree is great. Boldin scored on us in the redzone in the superbowl and has always been tough. How many TE's have more TD's than Davis the last couple of years? Our redzone problems are a combination of conservative play calling and a young QB. The 49ers formula has been protect the FG and count on your defense to win the last 3 years. Unless we are behind and Need a TD we don't really go for it.

As for drafting WR's. We should. We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and WR is the deepest position in the draft. We should try to get 1 in the 1st 2 rounds and another in rounds 3-4 as well.

A. Take advantage of the fact that you can get 1st round talent in RD 2 and second round talent in round 3 and possibly 4 because of the depth at WR.

B. Boldin is only signed for 2 yrs and Crabtree for 1 yr. We don't know if we will be able to resign Crabtree. He will be very expensive. Boldin could be retired or near retired in 2 years.

C. It usually takes a season or 2 to develop WR's. Look at TO's rookie year or Patton or Crabtree or John Taylor. We need to start the process now. Not after Crabtree or Boldin leaves.

D. 2 years in a row we have lost 2 WR's to injury. This past season only Boldin was a viable WR for over half a year and we lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. If we had won just 1 more game we would have been the #1 seed with a bye week and home field advantage. If the seahawks made it to the championship game it would have been on our field where we beat them 2 years in a row. It would have been us spanking the Donkeys in the superbowl. We need the depth. We need to start preparing young WR's for the future. The talent is there in the draft and we have the picks to do it. If we spend 2 picks at WR in the 1st 4 rounds that leaves us 5 more for other positions in the 1st 4 rounds with 4 more picks later in the draft as well.

I agree. We need to think about Crabtree wanting a massive pay check and Boldin aging.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Just grab Landry.

Could we stay put and grab him or will we have to move up to get him
[ Edited by Andra on May 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM ]
Just grab Landry.

He's being projected to go late 2nd-early 3rd. So he could very well be on the board if we stay put. But as we've learned time and time again, the draft is so unpredictable. Who knows where he'll ultimately go.
I'd trade up w/other picks and have 3 second round picks.

Get Landry, Moncrief and ???
jarvis landry and bruce ellington
Cullliver is coming off ACL that makes his performance questionable,Brock's aggressive style makes him susceptible to being beat ,and though Bethea is a good pickup I would love to get Jimmie Ward (pipe dream) as FS and have Reid play more in the box.
Because this years WR class is so deep we can pickup a guy in the 3rd round and develop him to be ready in a season or two when we need him

Pipe dream answered

ha wow good call
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Cullliver is coming off ACL that makes his performance questionable,Brock's aggressive style makes him susceptible to being beat ,and though Bethea is a good pickup I would love to get Jimmie Ward (pipe dream) as FS and have Reid play more in the box.
Because this years WR class is so deep we can pickup a guy in the 3rd round and develop him to be ready in a season or two when we need him

Pipe dream answered

ha wow good call

Thanks dude , man I can't believe we didn't pick a WR in the 3rd though .We Are really picking BPA. AWESOME!!!
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I'm stoked that We still have a shot at Ellington and Street and in the 4th round or later. Man this is a deep draft.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Pipe dream answered

ha wow good call

Thanks dude , man I can't believe we didn't pick a WR in the 3rd though .We Are really picking BPA. AWESOME!!!

not BPA at all. They are planning ahead.

Ward, current need at nickel, future S after Bethea

Hyde, Gore and Hunter are in retirement/contract years respectively. LMJ is reportedly on the block and Lattimore is a complete unknown. Right now Hyde could be our #1 next year for all we know.

Martin is talented enough to beat out Kilgore and is insurance against Iupati

Borland is an immediate competitor to replace Bowman and be an ST contributor

Thomas is just like Lattimore, if he heals properly the FO could easily say he and Martin compete to replace Iupati if they let him walk.

This entire draft has been carefully planned, each pick has a specific purpose.
[ Edited by sfout on May 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

Pipe dream answered

ha wow good call

not BPA at all. They are planning ahead.

Ward, current need at nickel, future S after Bethea

Hyde, Gore and Hunter are in retirement/contract years respectively. LMJ is reportedly on the block and Lattimore is a complete unknown. Right now Hyde could be our #1 next year for all we know.

Martin is talented enough to beat out Kilgore and is insurance against Iupati

Borland is an immediate competitor to replace Bowman and be an ST contributor

Thomas is just like Lattimore, if he heals properly the FO could easily say he and Martin compete to replace Iupati if they let him walk.

This entire draft has been carefully planned, each pick has a specific purpose.

Your right , each player filled a need or future need on the team. I fill though that there is no position that isn't a need or future need and that we did pick the BPA on our board
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So if a WR is drafted and it is NOT somebody they've hidden their interest in then we can look to this incredibly small list of players still available that they hosted or saw were specifically described to be interested in.

Ranking was from OTCs big board. Walterfootball says we're interested in Butler.

Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson: Visit (Ranked #57)
Albert Wilson, WR, Georgia State: Visit (Ranked #220)
Jeremy Butler, WR, Tennessee-Martin: "Interested" according to WF and Pro day (Not ranked)
Kain Colter, WR: Pro day (Not ranked)

Otherwise it would a player that we were simply at the pro day and it was too general for us to be pin pointed regarding interest.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
WR that are still available that I would like to have : Ellington , Street , Bryant , Abbrederis , Washington , and I know nobody likes him but me Jeremy Gallon
[ Edited by Andra on May 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Just grab Landry.

He's being projected to go late 2nd-early 3rd. So he could very well be on the board if we stay put. But as we've learned time and time again, the draft is so unpredictable. Who knows where he'll ultimately go.

I watched all the video draftbreakdown had on Landry last night. I wish we would have got him.
[ Edited by Andra on May 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM ]