LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

Originally posted by Since07:
Couldn't agree more though I wouldn't be mad if we traded up for Evans

This.
Originally posted by Andra:
So would you prefer a Evans to a Cooks and would you take him before a top tier CB like Gilbert

I like both. I'd be happy if they trade up for Evans; I'd be happy if they get Cooks instead. I think the first two picks will be CB and WR (not necessarily in that order). This draft is filled with very good WRs and very good CBs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
So would you prefer a Evans to a Cooks and would you take him before a top tier CB like Gilbert

I like both. I'd be happy if they trade up for Evans; I'd be happy if they get Cooks instead. I think the first two picks will be CB and WR (not necessarily in that order). This draft is filled with very good WRs and very good CBs.

Cooks or Evans and Jason Verrett would go along ways to making my day, but I just cannot figure out how we could do it.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM ]
No WR until the third round? Good thing you're not making the selections.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HALCIONDAZE:

This
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
I´m not a fan of waiting until the 3th to draft a WR but there is still a lot of talent in the middle + later rounds. Lets say for example that Tuitt falls because of his foot injury. Then it could look like this.

1. CB Fuller / Verrett
2. DL Tuitt
2..S Brooks
3. WR Ellington
3. WR Latimer

Having Smith Tank Tuitt and Brooks in the future would be sick.

Personally I would wait till the 3th or 4th to get a DL player cause Tank will share snaps with Justin / Ray and the DE Player we select will probably sit on the bench this year. Though the same could be said about a Crabtree/ Boldin replacement.
Originally posted by DeUh:
I�m not a fan of waiting until the 3th to draft a WR but there is still a lot of talent in the middle + later rounds. Lets say for example that Tuitt falls because of his foot injury. Then it could look like this.

1. CB Fuller / Verrett
2. DL Tuitt
2..S Brooks
3. WR Elliington
3. WR Latimer

Having Smith Tank Tuitt and Brooks in the future would be sick.

Personally I would wait till the 3th or 4th to get a DL player cause Tank will share snaps with Justin / Ray and the DE Player we select will probably sit on the bench this year. Though the same could be said about a Crabtree/ Boldin replacement.

I'm all for it.. I mean it was three years ago now that we went 13-3 with Alex Smith and less talented Offense ( yes Chilo,Synder, swain , Hastings were really his on a championship team), because of great D and a run game.. Now if we trade up to pick a sliding can't miss stud recevier then I won't be mad. But I'm all for non sexy picks like OL ,DL, or even rb( tho we seem to be stacked its our team identity and if we got it as close as we have the last few years and didn't try and run it in dosnt show alot of faith in the running game by the coaches, tho lattimores 38 TDs in 3 years has me sleeping well at night) so long as they are truly BPA AND fit our system.. I just think it behooves us to stick with our identity and make sure our running game remains a top grinder.. And the Tuit pick is nice if not only because it could be payback for Bruce Irvine on..
as the buccs have traded away williams they are likely going WR at 7, or not? that could mean evans is gone asuming watkins is going top5.
Originally posted by mayo49:

This

For those that like ro refer to history, Bill Walsh said with Defense, you have to draft talented athletes and those usually comes early in the draft. With the offense you can get away with lessor talent by good schemes and coaching. The only wr he ever drafted high was Rice. Clark and Taylor were picks not in the first two rounds. You also have TO. Before that they won with a pick up of a veteran like Freddie Solomon.
  • Andra
  • Veteran

It's probably a good thing none of us are making the selections, I'm just saying that the talent pool for CB,DL,S, drops significantly after the 2nd round. Not the same with WR, you can pick up guys like Ellington ,Street, Bryant, Herron in the 3rd round or later as oppose to using 1st or 2nd rounders for Cooks, Evens, Moncrief, Matthews .

Ellington = Cooks
Street = Matthews
Bryant = Moncrief

Ellington = Cooks
Street = Matthews
Bryant = Moncrief

None of those guys are even close to as talented as the ones to the right of the "equals" symbol.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Ellington = Cooks
Street = Matthews
Bryant = Moncrief

None of those guys are even close to as talented as the ones to the right of the "equals" symbol.

What is it that the ones on right do so much better than the one on the left that you would use a 1st or 2nd round pick? Especially when you can get the guys on left in the 3rd or 4th while using your pics from the 1st and 2nd rounds on CB,DL,ILB which will not be as good in in the later rounds.
  • pfizz
one name i dont see mentioned enough is paul richardson. this guy is the real deep threat in the draft and could be had a little later than all these guys. dont care about combine 40 times and drills. go back and watch some colorado games. this guy is desean jackson lite(or maybe plus since hes a lil taller? ). dude just need to put on a solid 15lbs but man can he fly.
[ Edited by pfizz on Apr 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Ellington = Cooks
Street = Matthews
Bryant = Moncrief

What is it that the ones on right do so much better than the one on the left that you would use a 1st or 2nd round pick? Especially when you can get the guys on left in the 3rd or 4th while using your pics from the 1st and 2nd rounds on CB,DL,ILB which will not be as good in in the later rounds.

Getting an ILB in the top 100 would be so stupid IMO. WR is a much bigger need than ILB and the CB depth in the draft is as good or better IMO than the WR depth. So with the two biggest needs being CB and WR is not unreasonable to think we'll take a WR with one of our first 3 picks.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Ellington = Cooks
Street = Matthews
Bryant = Moncrief

Getting an ILB in the top 100 would be so stupid IMO. WR is a much bigger need than ILB and the CB depth in the draft is as good or better IMO than the WR depth. So with the two biggest needs being CB and WR is not unreasonable to think we'll take a WR with one of our first 3 picks.

Bold x1000000000. We have 2 of the best ILBs in the game, a solid vet that has already proven he can fill in when needed in Wilholte and a young gun who's had a year in our system in Moody, not to mention a vet who spent his entire career at ILB and shifted to OLB last year in Skuta. We will probably take one in the 5-7th round but earlier than that would be silly.

Everyone clamoring for the DL I'll say this. Yes Smith is getting old and has 1-2 years left, yes Ray Mac's cap # gets high next year but think about this we are adding Ian Williams, Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial to our stable of DL already. TJE proved he can play ball last year, Dobbs was solid. I love Tuitt and if we can get him while taking care of CB and WR fine but that's just not realistic. I think people who really are rooting for Tuitt are forgetting how awesome Tank really is to be honest, I won't be surprised if he takes RM's starting spot this year.
Share 49ersWebzone