LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

Originally posted by crake49:
Why do people keep pretending that when you have Boldin, Crabtree, and Patton, your problem is not wide receiver? Where is the outside guy with elite speed, something that almost all teams have? Literally, the only thing missing from the Niner offense is a wide receiver who can force secondaries to respect the long throw. They've got V. Davis, but a 1-deep safety formation with a fast safety is all defenses need to deal with that.

Cooks, Beckham, Moncrief, Bryant - the Niners don't have a wide receiver on the roster who can run with any of these guys. I think the Niners will go corner in the first round unless Cooks or Beckham drops to them and they'll go for Moncrief or Bryant with one of their second round picks. They're not going to go corner, corner, corner. They need a real good corner, they need a speed receiver and they need more depth at both positions.
I second that emotion. Our receivers are the weakest point of the offense, an offense that is weaker than the defense. Then again, our receivers are "adequate" if you're not trying to win a SB.
if you're gonna pay Kap-- surround him with weapons. We should have speed at all levels, the man's got a cannon. We should be ripping 2 defenders deep on every play to open up everything else.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
if you're gonna pay Kap-- surround him with weapons. We should have speed at all levels, the man's got a cannon. We should be ripping 2 defenders deep on every play to open up everything else.
Hallelujah.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If the best player available when we pick in the first round is a wide receiver, we should take a wide receiver.

If the best player available when we pick in the first round is a cornerback, we should take a cornerback.

But, even the above options will be, or could be, altered depending on who is still left on the board, and our estimation of the possibilities.

The draft really is about picking players, not about position, size, or speed.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
The problems with the offense was not just at WR. The biggest problem was Kap not getting enough time to find the open receiver because they were getting open. Not that we don't need to prepare for the future we Boldin is gone and the posablity that Crabtree is not resigned .We just don't need to do it in the first two rounds. How much more value do you get drafting Moncrief in the 2nd round than Streets in the 3rd or Cooks in the 1st round than Ellington in the 3rd or 4th,not much just watch the tape. But it doesn't matter who is drafted where if pass protection is not improved

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Why do people keep pretending that when you have Boldin, Crabtree, and Patton, your problem is not wide receiver? Where is the outside guy with elite speed, something that almost all teams have? Literally, the only thing missing from the Niner offense is a wide receiver who can force secondaries to respect the long throw. They've got V. Davis, but a 1-deep safety formation with a fast safety is all defenses need to deal with that.

Cooks, Beckham, Moncrief, Bryant - the Niners don't have a wide receiver on the roster who can run with any of these guys. I think the Niners will go corner in the first round unless Cooks or Beckham drops to them and they'll go for Moncrief or Bryant with one of their second round picks. They're not going to go corner, corner, corner. They need a real good corner, they need a speed receiver and they need more depth at both positions.
I second that emotion. Our receivers are the weakest point of the offense, an offense that is weaker than the defense. Then again, our receivers are "adequate" if you're not trying to win a SB.
Originally posted by Andra:
The problems with the offense was not just at WR. The biggest problem was Kap not getting enough time to find the open receiver because they were getting open. Not that we don't need to prepare for the future we Boldin is gone and the posablity that Crabtree is not resigned .We just don't need to do it in the first two rounds. How much more value do you get drafting Moncrief in the 2nd round than Streets in the 3rd or Cooks in the 1st round than Ellington in the 3rd or 4th,not much just watch the tape. But it doesn't matter who is drafted where if pass protection is not improved

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

2013 WR Stats

Boldin = 16 games played
Crabtree = 5 games played
Patton = 6 games played
Manningham = 6 games played

When your top four receivers miss 31 games it's a problem. You can say it's not a problem for next year but that would be presumptive...especially with Manningham's departure.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
CB
WR
WR
S
C
LB
Originally posted by Andra:

No, the problem really is that the WR's don't get separation. Seattle was able to shut down our running game because our wide receivers can't get open one-on-one and we dont have a deep threat to keep their safeties back (Davis helps, but we could use a receiver with speed like Cooks or a size/speed threat like Evans, Moncrief, or Martavis Bryant who can also stretch the defense). There's a reason we were interested in Jackson.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
No, the problem really is that the WR's don't get separation. Seattle was able to shut down our running game because our wide receivers can't get open one-on-one and we dont have a deep threat to keep their safeties back (Davis helps, but we could use a receiver with speed like Cooks or a size/speed threat like Evans, Moncrief, or Martavis Bryant who can also stretch the defense). There's a reason we were interested in Jackson.

Seattle was able to shut down the passing game of most every team they played. They were also consistently in Kaps face because though the niners have a great run blocking OL pass protection is lacking. I agree that we could use a speedster and a deep threat receiver, I think that can be done later in the draft
This is the way i see it; this year is supposedly deep in receiver talent, to me that means we can draft one later and still get a talented prospect. We should always keep an open mind and never lock ourselves into picking players at set positions, thats what losing teams do. Bottom line we need to take the best player who will help us win.

The way I look at it is we are a defense first team. We won in JH first three years with D. With the lost of Brown, Carlos and now the arrest of Culliver, we need to draft capable CB, at least two. Although we signed Cook and hope he turns out to be a Carlos-I wouldn't hold my breath. We also need to draft and develope a safety, although Bethea is signed for four years, there is a posibility that he is replaced after 1 or two years because he either doesn't pan out or cap casualty.

Also, we are not going to be a Packers, Saints, Patriots or Broncos type offense. We may open it up a little more, but not much. This is not to say we don't or shouldn't draft a wr, but that wide wr won't see the field much, maybe in spot situations either as a red zone target or to stretch the field, but he won't be in there but 10-15% of the snaps as he learns the offense. Even the GOAT, Rice only caught 50+ balls his first year and that is as a starter. Nos whne of our wr have done much in the first years, including Crabtree. Two late picks (not first rounder) that I like are Martavius and Jared. We also need to prepare for if Iupati isn't resigned. Looney will probably fill in for him when or if he leaves, meaning we need to develope a backup g/c. Then of course there is ilb because of Bowman missing half the season. As well as the Bill Walsh Addage of always draft and lookout for a potential QB.

But it is Defense as we are more like Seattle and the Ravens. Even the Giants won it with their D.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
The way I look at it is we are a defense first team. We won in JH first three years with D. With the lost of Brown, Carlos and now the arrest of Culliver, we need to draft capable CB, at least two. Although we signed Cook and hope he turns out to be a Carlos-I wouldn't hold my breath. We also need to draft and develope a safety, although Bethea is signed for four years, there is a posibility that he is replaced after 1 or two years because he either doesn't pan out or cap casualty.

Also, we are not going to be a Packers, Saints, Patriots or Broncos type offense. We may open it up a little more, but not much. This is not to say we don't or shouldn't draft a wr, but that wide wr won't see the field much, maybe in spot situations either as a red zone target or to stretch the field, but he won't be in there but 10-15% of the snaps as he learns the offense. Even the GOAT, Rice only caught 50+ balls his first year and that is as a starter. Nos whne of our wr have done much in the first years, including Crabtree. Two late picks (not first rounder) that I like are Martavius and Jared. We also need to prepare for if Iupati isn't resigned. Looney will probably fill in for him when or if he leaves, meaning we need to develope a backup g/c. Then of course there is ilb because of Bowman missing half the season. As well as the Bill Walsh Addage of always draft and lookout for a potential QB.

But it is Defense as we are more like Seattle and the Ravens. Even the Giants won it with their D.
I'm with you WildBill
Somehow getting a low round WR is "good enough" but we have to get top round defensive players.
Think about
  • A 3rd round CB being "good enough"
  • Injuries to two WRs for the third year in a row
  • Boldin 35 next year
  • Signing Crabtree next year
  • A first round WR (as long as he not AJ Jenkins) will make Roman use him and modernize the offense)
  • A first round WR will see the field a lot
  • A first round WR will make Gore better
  • A first round WR will make Kap better
  • A first round WR will help ensure a SB berth
  • A second round WR could improve the offense
  • A third round WR will only keep Patton company on the sideline
Dontae Moncrief will certainly be there in the 3rd to be head so yeah I guess you can wait it out till then.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
WR 1st round grade Watkins
Beckham
Cooks
Evans

2nd round grade Robinson
Matthews
Moncrief

3rd round grade or later Bryant
Street
Ellington
Herron
Abrederis
Lee
Landry

CB 1st round grade Roby
Dennard
Gilbert
Fuller
Verret

2nd round or later McGill
Desir
Jean-Baptiste
Breeland

IMO the talent at WR does not have much drop off from round to round .At CB the talent pool drops off significantly and we could use a ILB, OG, S, DT. There is no need to grab a WR early we can get the guys with skills we want later in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone