LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

No WR until the 3rd round

• Andra
  • Veteran
There is a lot of talk about the niners drafting a WR 1st or 2nd in this years draft ether a quick shifty receiver or a big CB over powering type. I for my part would like to see them pick up a red zone threat or even better have Vance McDonald develop into the the red zone go to guy that we all hoped he would be. No matter what kind of receiver they pickup I don't want the niners to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on him. Would much rather niners go 1st CB 2nd S. The reasons are I think obvious 1st those are the positions that were lost as FA's. 2nd niners are a run first team,no need using a early pick for a guy that might not see the field very much as a 3rd maybe 4th receiver option.

I am going to suggest a few more things and niner fans might not like to here very much but in my opinion is true.1st I think that we have 3 great receivers in Crab,Boldin, and Patton that created space and got open all season and many times Kap was unable to find the open receiver, not that it was all Kaps fault. Which brings me to my next point we have a great OL playing the run but gives average at best pass protection. Kap is a big guy that needs space and time to throw.I really think the game is going to slow down for Kap next season and he is going to be able to connect with his receivers.

Let's shore up our secondary in the first 2 rounds then go for a receiver . What do you think.
We have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds and we don't need to go corner, corner, corner.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
We have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds and we don't need to go corner, corner, corner.

How about corner safety corner or corner safety linebacker
Originally posted by Andra:

No to both. Safety isn't a pressing need with Bethea signed long term. With all the talent at receiver it would be a huge mistake to pass on one in the first 2 rounds. It's a huge need, the talent is there and the picks are there. Get the corner you want. Get the receiver you want and that should be our 1st 2 rounds.
It really all depends upon who they like and how they value each player, but make no mistake, WR is a crucial need. Boldin and Crabtree are above average starters, but Boldin is getting older while Crabtree's contract remains an issue for next season. Patton, while he has potential, has proven nothing. A WR might have a hard time making an impact next year, but that doesn't mean we pass on a guy we rate highly.
Receiver

Receiver

Receiver

Championship!
Couldn't agree more though I wouldn't be mad if we traded up for Evans
second round
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

No to both. Safety isn't a pressing need with Bethea signed long term. With all the talent at receiver it would be a huge mistake to pass on one in the first 2 rounds. It's a huge need, the talent is there and the picks are there. Get the corner you want. Get the receiver you want and that should be our 1st 2 rounds.

Originally posted by Karma:
It really all depends upon who they like and how they value each player, but make no mistake, WR is a crucial need. Boldin and Crabtree are above average starters, but Boldin is getting older while Crabtree's contract remains an issue for next season. Patton, while he has potential, has proven nothing. A WR might have a hard time making an impact next year, but that doesn't mean we pass on a guy we rate highly.

I would have to agree for the most part but I have to say unless Kap has more time and can find the open receiver it doesn't matter who is lined up at WR .Also you are correct that Boldin is getting older but he is signed for the next 2 seasons ,a mid round pick could learn a lot around our vet receivers without the expectations of a 1st or 2nd pick to contribute.
Boldin and Crabs are proven and battle tested. Patton is not. Like all of us I hope he will become excellent but hasn't had time to perform.

That said, our Red Zone production SUCKS!

We need a WR in the first 2 rounds and another later.

Agree we need a top tier CB for this season and the future.

• Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Boldin and Crabs are proven and battle tested. Patton is not. Like all of us I hope he will become excellent but hasn't had time to perform.

So would you prefer a Evans to a Cooks and would you take him before a top tier CB like Gillbert

I think that's more of a function of scheme than anything else. Adding more wide receivers isn't going to miraculously improve their red zone efficiency. When you have Crabtree, Boldin and Vernon Davis, the problem is not your receivers.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think that's more of a function of scheme than anything else. Adding more wide receivers isn't going to miraculously improve their red zone efficiency. When you have Crabtree, Boldin and Vernon Davis, the problem is not your receivers.

I agree
There is a lot of talk about the niners drafting a WR 1st or 2nd in this years draft ether a quick shifty receiver or a big CB over powering type. I for my part would like to see them pick up a red zone threat or even better have Vance McDonald develop into the the red zone go to guy that we all hoped he would be. No matter what kind of receiver they pickup I don't want the niners to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on him. Would much rather niners go 1st CB 2nd S. The reasons are I think obvious 1st those are the positions that were lost as FA's. 2nd niners are a run first team,no need using a early pick for a guy that might not see the field very much as a 3rd maybe 4th receiver option.

I am going to suggest a few more things and niner fans might not like to here very much but in my opinion is true.1st I think that we have 3 great receivers in Crab,Boldin, and Patton that created space and got open all season and many times Kap was unable to find the open receiver, not that it was all Kaps fault. Which brings me to my next point we have a great OL playing the run but gives average at best pass protection. Kap is a big guy that needs space and time to throw.I really think the game is going to slow down for Kap next season and he is going to be able to connect with his receivers.

Let's shore up our secondary in the first 2 rounds then go for a receiver . What do you think.

The 49ers don't need a clear cut starter at any position. We have starting safties nd our 2 starting CB's in Culliver and Brock and a 3rd CB with some experience in Wright. That being said I would like to see us draft a couple of CB's including at least 1 early and a safety to develop to become a starter after a season or two.

I like our Wr's. Our redzone problems have nothing to do with receiving talent. Crabtree is great. Boldin scored on us in the redzone in the superbowl and has always been tough. How many TE's have more TD's than Davis the last couple of years? Our redzone problems are a combination of conservative play calling and a young QB. The 49ers formula has been protect the FG and count on your defense to win the last 3 years. Unless we are behind and Need a TD we don't really go for it.

As for drafting WR's. We should. We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and WR is the deepest position in the draft. We should try to get 1 in the 1st 2 rounds and another in rounds 3-4 as well.

A. Take advantage of the fact that you can get 1st round talent in RD 2 and second round talent in round 3 and possibly 4 because of the depth at WR.

B. Boldin is only signed for 2 yrs and Crabtree for 1 yr. We don't know if we will be able to resign Crabtree. He will be very expensive. Boldin could be retired or near retired in 2 years.

C. It usually takes a season or 2 to develop WR's. Look at TO's rookie year or Patton or Crabtree or John Taylor. We need to start the process now. Not after Crabtree or Boldin leaves.

D. 2 years in a row we have lost 2 WR's to injury. This past season only Boldin was a viable WR for over half a year and we lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. If we had won just 1 more game we would have been the #1 seed with a bye week and home field advantage. If the seahawks made it to the championship game it would have been on our field where we beat them 2 years in a row. It would have been us spanking the Donkeys in the superbowl. We need the depth. We need to start preparing young WR's for the future. The talent is there in the draft and we have the picks to do it. If we spend 2 picks at WR in the 1st 4 rounds that leaves us 5 more for other positions in the 1st 4 rounds with 4 more picks later in the draft as well.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
second round

That's what I would like them to do. Take the best corner in round one, maybe even trade up to do it, then take Moncreif or Mathews in round two.
Share 49ersWebzone