LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Niners awarded 3rd round Compensatory Pick

Niners awarded 3rd round Compensatory Pick

I'm sure Baalke will trade and get more picks for next year. Baalke is sitting at the table with a monster hand.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by strickac:
More ammo to move up and get Evans, Lee, or Cooks.

People do realize that you can't trade comp picks....right?

Everyone realizes that.

Adding another early pick gives the team more flexibility to move up. People realize that.... right?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think we will trade a 2nd or probably 3rd outright for a round higher next year if possible. Could trade down from one or more of our picks and pick up more picks next year. Very good chance we trade up as well. Maybe from 30 to 20s and/or 56 back into the 30s. Just don't see us using all 6 picks in the first 100. Since we only have 8 (probably 7 after martin) picks in next year's draft I think we need to get more picks for next year.

With the 49ers having so many high picks in a very deep draft, I think they'll have no problem racking up future picks by dropping a few slots here and there throughout the various rounds.
Originally posted by azninersfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That went out the window when we signed Bethea. I was screaming hello 3rd round comp pick when Cleveland gave Donte Whitner 8 million. But no worries. One for Iupati is sure to come in 2016.

Bethea wont cancel out Whitner. He's gonna cancel out T. Brown

How did you come to that conclusion? Not attacking you. I actually hope you're right, but I don't see how Brown at 3.5 million for 1 year, cancels out Bethea who's averaging about 5 million a year over four years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gore_21:
2014: 1 (30), 2 (56 KC), 2 (61), 3 (77 TEN), 3 (94), 3 (100 COMP), 4 (TBA), 5 (TBA), 7 (TBA NO), 7 (TBA CAR)

2015: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (IND), 7 (likely to go to MIA for Martin)

Now that we have 3 3rds there is a great chance we trade one of them for picks next year. Highly unlikely we keep 2 2's and 3 3's. The comp can't be traded so look for Tennessee's or our 3rd to be moved.

Man the 9ers could trade their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up and still have a great draft!!!! Imagine if Baalke was/is down to trade the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks just think of the possibilities?!?!? That should at least get the 9ers to the 10th pick, I think.

Justin Gilbert doesn't sound too far out of reach now!!!
I keep hearing that this draft has the most depth in years. If that is, true I think they should keep the picks and just work this draft. Trade up and trade down and do what they can to boost this team to the Lombardi.
[ Edited by jvangeystel on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
How did you come to that conclusion? Not attacking you. I actually hope you're right, but I don't see how Brown at 3.5 million for 1 year, cancels out Bethea who's averaging about 5 million a year over four years.

Whitner makes more than Bethea. From everything i have read, cancelling starts with contracts with the same number and then less before cancelling higher contracts. It is not by which contract is closest or most similar. Now if we have an equal amount of qualified FA signings as qualified FA losses, then Whitner would be cancelled out.

I'm not an expert and the actual formula is not public. I do consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on the subject as i've been looking at how it works for several years now. But that doesn't mean i can't be wrong:

FTR:
Last year i was saying we would get a 4th rd comp pick while our beat writers (i think Maiocco) and some knowledgeable posters here were saying we'd get a 3rd rd pick. (We got a 4th).

This year i thought we'd get a 4th, and i was pretty sure we were going to get a 4th... and we got a 3rd.

So i don't have it perfected, i'm just speaking by what i have read and my tidbit of experience.
[ Edited by azninersfan on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM ]
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
I keep hearing that this draft has the most depth in years. If that is, true I think they should keep the picks and just work this draft. Trade up and trade down and do what they can to boost this team to the Lombardi.

I agree, but they are also going to run out of roster spots. If they trade up, they get a better player ( in theory) and they dont run out ofmspots.
Originally posted by jvangeystel:

I keep hearing the experts saying the same thing, that they considered this to possibly be the deepest draft in the last 10 years+.

The problem is that we don't have the roster spots for all of these picks so they are wasted if we don't trade them to move up or for picks in the future.

That being said, since the draft is so deep our 2nd and 3rd round picks are more valuable than ever.

Trade our 1st, our 2nd and two 3rd's to move up and get Watkins!!!!
[ Edited by 49er4life on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Man the 9ers could trade their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up and still have a great draft!!!! Imagine if Baalke was/is down to trade the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks just think of the possibilities?!?!? That should at least get the 9ers to the 10th pick, I think.

Justin Gilbert doesn't sound too far out of reach now!!!

I think us trading up became more likely with us getting a 3rd round comp instead of 4th. Highly doubt we use all 3 3rd round picks. So I think it's more likely but still don't think we will trade up into the 10 range and get someone like Gilbert but we have the picks to do so. I'd rather we just trade up a few spots and get Verrett (maybe fuller) and then trade up from 56 and get Matthews/Beckham.

I agree Phoenix there is a lot of depth in rounds 2 and 3 so we could trade back and still get who we want (or one of the guys we want) and pick up picks for next year. It's been a long time since we have had 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (only 7 picks in a draft) so I'm sure Baalke wants some more picks for next year. Like I have said many times we have so many options. Could go for the super star, could trade down and get picks for next year, could trade up say 5-10 spots in the 1st and 2nd round and 3rd if we want. If the opportunity presents itself could trade the pick outright for a round higher the next year like with our 2nd a few years back to Carolina which we turned into Mike Iupati (43rd turned into 17th overall). It's going to be an awesome draft day. Should see 3-4 trades and we should come away with some great players and hopefully an extra 2nd or 3rd next year and maybe an extra mid to late round pick or 2.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM ]

I really want another 1st rd pick next year. I wonder if the KC pick can net us a 2015 1st.
Originally posted by azninersfan:
I really want another 1st rd pick next year. I wonder if the KC pick can net us a 2015 1st.

Who is coming out next year? Looks like all the underclassmen declared this year. Hope there are folk left next year to draft
we should use a 3rd to trade up for cooks and another 3rd to move up in the second for a good CB that falls and even then we will have a 2nd and 3rd to pick up another CB and add some depth in the front 7. We are sitting pretty right now!!!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Who is coming out next year? Looks like all the underclassmen declared this year. Hope there are folk left next year to draft

Besides the two QBs that would net us a kings ransom if we were lucky enough to get them, we could go for Green-Beckham if Crabtree bolts... but mostly i just like having an extra 1st rd pick.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
picture hotter than an hot model: yum
Share 49ersWebzone