There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners awarded 3rd round Compensatory Pick

Niners awarded 3rd round Compensatory Pick

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by xcfan:
the late 3rd in this draft is a big deal. there are a bunch of starter-quality guys at that pick. we very well could have a long-term starter in a year or two from this pick.

Heck yeah. Ray McDonald was a 3rd round comp pick we got for losing Julian Peterson. That worked out pretty well.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i hope this is our 1986
What are the 49ers three 7th rounders worth in trade value.
got a question regarding the compensatory pick. I know that comp picks can not be traded. with knowing that can a team trade the player picked with the comp pick instead. say 49ers pick player X at #100 and then team Y calls to trade for player X for next years 1rd pick. or are there restrictions attached to that as well. guess I'm just trying to circumvent the situation.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
got a question regarding the compensatory pick. I know that comp picks can not be traded. with knowing that can a team trade the player picked with the comp pick instead. say 49ers pick player X at #100 and then team Y calls to trade for player X for next years 1rd pick. or are there restrictions attached to that as well. guess I'm just trying to circumvent the situation.

That's a good question, Negro.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 26, 2014 at 5:30 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
No.

We have the ammo to select good players in a deep draft.

Wrong.

We do not want our first pick in this draft to be at #30 and our second to be at #56. If we do not move up, we will NOT get the CB we want and there is a great chance we will not get one of the WR's we are targeting. Last year we had a 31st pick and 34th pick, which allowed us to move up with one of our 3rd round picks to grab our safety and also allow us to pick one of if not the top defensive ends in the draft. The positives this year is we have more picks in round 2-3 so we need them to move up so that we can get that starting CB and our future star WR.
[ Edited by mmezzetta on Mar 26, 2014 at 5:33 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mmezzetta:
Wrong.

We do not want our first pick in this draft to be at #30 and our second to be at #56. If we do not move up, we will NOT get the CB we want and there is a great chance we will not get one of the WR's we are targeting. Last year we had a 31st pick and 34th pick, which allowed us to move up with one of our 3rd round picks to grab our safety and also allow us to pick one of if not the top defensive ends in the draft. The positives this year is we have more picks in round 2-3 so we need them to move up so that we can get that starting CB and our future star WR.

Not sure if Baalke and company share your opinion. They might but who knows.

Baalke might move up, and many us expect him to do so, but that dude does seem to have a way of doing things we do not expect.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think there's a good chance we move up in the first round for a player we are targeting. Too, many picks to just stand pat.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:07 AM ]
Originally posted by mmezzetta:
No.

We have the ammo to select good players in a deep draft.

Wrong.

Every team moves up for players they like, but that is not a draft "strategy". In other words, we didn't move up last year because we thought, "Hey, we have a bunch of picks, why not move up and see what happens?" Rather, we moved up because we needed a starting quality safety, and we really liked Reed.
Also, last year was not nearly as deep as this draft.

This year, we have two starting safeties, so the only immediate question becomes cornerback. I feel as if we have two starting cornerbacks in Brock and Culliver. We definitely need more, but we are not as desperate as last year to get an immediate starter.

This draft is deep deep deep. Every pick is critical. We need to get maximum value for each one. Each of our top 6 picks can fill FUTURE holes at DL, CB, G, C, and of course WR. Those are five positions where we are going to need to draft strong when free agency and retirement make us lose players. There are plenty of roster spots available for future starters.

Each one of those picks is a potential starter one a ROOKIE CONTRACT. Want to save salary cap? Well then have more players on their rookie contract playing for you.

We will definitely trade up in this draft. We will definitely trade down in this draft. But only because each deal gives us the best leverage on a case-by-case basis, to help our team improve in the present and future.

I'll say it again. Throwing away picks for shiny new toys is how you become the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns. Let's not become "that" guy.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 26, 2014 at 7:25 AM ]
  • DeUh
Every team moves up for players they like, but that is not a draft "strategy". In other words, we didn't move up last year because we thought, "Hey, we have a bunch of picks, why not move up and see what happens?" Rather, we moved up because we needed a starting quality safety, and we really liked Reed.
Also, last year was not nearly as deep as this draft.

This year, we have two starting safeties, so the only immediate question becomes cornerback. I feel as if we have two starting cornerbacks in Brock and Culliver. We definitely need more, but we are not as desperate as last year to get an immediate starter.

This draft is deep deep deep. Every pick is critical. We need to get maximum value for each one. Each of our top 6 picks can fill FUTURE holes at DL, CB, G, C, and of course WR. Those are five positions where we are going to need to draft strong when free agency and retirement make us lose players. There are plenty of roster spots available for future starters.

Each one of those picks is a potential starter one a ROOKIE CONTRACT. Want to save salary cap? Well then have more players on their rookie contract playing for you.

We will definitely trade up in this draft. We will definitely trade down in this draft. But only because each deal gives us the best leverage on a case-by-case basis, to help our team improve in the present and future.

I'll say it again. Throwing away picks for shiny new toys is how you become the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns. Let's not become "that" guy.

Well written !