LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

the virginia tech connection

Gimme the DB's and leave Thomas out of the discussion, unless it's at TE.
Not only that, but historically, VA Tech's produced a number of quality DB's for the NFL (see link below)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/virginiatech/
Really good sign that the 49ers had dinner with Fuller & Thomas

Last year 49ers had dinner with Tank Carradine & Quinton Patton
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Really good sign that the 49ers had dinner with Fuller & Thomas

Last year 49ers had dinner with Tank Carradine & Quinton Patton

Not really relevant but unless it was at the combine, I'm pretty sure we never met with QP.

But yes the main reason is on point, I believe there others that we've done the same with.
Originally posted by sfout:
Not really relevant but unless it was at the combine, I'm pretty sure we never met with QP.

But yes the main reason is on point, I believe there others that we've done the same with.

They did take him out to dinner, I think it was either at the Senior Bowl or at the Louisiana Tech Pro Day.

EDIT-It was after the La Tech Pro Day.

Earlier today, Nick posted about today's various Pro Days, which included the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs. One notable Bulldog is wide receiver Quinton Patton. It looks like the 49ers might have at least a little interest in Patton:

Quinton Patton/WR/Louisiana Tech; 4.43s-to-4.48s 40, 37-in vert...Dinner w/Niners last night, met w/Broncos this morning..w/o with Carolina

— Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) March 26, 2013
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
What is this Virginia Tech connection?

Does a 49er-Virginia Tech connection exist?

I see just do not see one.

Can you, or someone, explain this connection to me?

Originally posted by buck:
What is this Virginia Tech connection?

Does a 49er-Virginia Tech connection exist?

I see just do not see one.

Can you, or someone, explain this connection to me?

I'm kind of curious myself, last year I heard people talking about the same thing last year and predicting that the 49ers would draft Marcus Davis and/or Corey Fuller because of the Va Tech connection...not sure where that got started? The only thing I can, recall is that apparently 49ers scouts showed up at a ton of Va Tech games, for all we know, they might have just been doing their normal due diligence or perhaps they were indeed scouting guys like Logan Thomas and Kyle Fuller for this year.

I'm sure they've also taken full notice of Kyle Fuller's brother Kendall who looks like an absolute monster.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/03/49ers-pre-draft-visit-tracker.html

Last years private workouts

Dinner with Tank, QP

Workout: Quinton Dial, Luke Marquardt
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/03/49ers-pre-draft-visit-tracker.html

Last years private workouts

Dinner with Tank, QP

Workout: Quinton Dial, Luke Marquardt

None of those guys went to Virginia Tech, and I do not think that VT was mentioned in the article.

Still not seeing any connection, but I am not the fastest guy on the block.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They did take him out to dinner, I think it was either at the Senior Bowl or at the Louisiana Tech Pro Day.

EDIT-It was after the La Tech Pro Day.

Earlier today, Nick posted about today's various Pro Days, which included the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs. One notable Bulldog is wide receiver Quinton Patton. It looks like the 49ers might have at least a little interest in Patton:

Quinton Patton/WR/Louisiana Tech; 4.43s-to-4.48s 40, 37-in vert...Dinner w/Niners last night, met w/Broncos this morning..w/o with Carolina

— Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) March 26, 2013

Thank you for the concrete info.

None of those guys went to Virginia Tech, and I do not think that VT was mentioned in the article.

Still not seeing any connection, but I am not the fastest guy on the block.

Buck -- my opinion is that we have some sort of heavy interest in somebody from that school. I noted on the first page that we sent scouts to at least 6 games last season and outside of Marcus Davis (freak WR that went undrafted) I can't recall any of the other players of note declaring, all/most of them returned to school. I never found info about scouts this season but I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to scout them as heavily.

• buck
  • Veteran
Thank you for the concrete info.

Buck -- my opinion is that we have some sort of heavy interest in somebody from that school. I noted on the first page that we sent scouts to at least 6 games last season and outside of Marcus Davis (freak WR that went undrafted) I can't recall any of the other players of note declaring, all/most of them returned to school. I never found info about scouts this season but I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to scout them as heavily.

I knew that we sent scouts to many of their games, but I am not sure that constitutes a 49er-VT connection.

I just find that reference confusing, but I do have a problem with getting confused.

Not a big deal. I will let it go.
Logan thomas blows, no thanks Jeff
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I knew that we sent scouts to many of their games, but I am not sure that constitutes a 49er-VT connection.

I just find that reference confusing, but I do have a problem with getting confused.

Not a big deal. I will let it go.

yea agreed. there is by no means a "connection" to VaTech but it will be interesting to see if we land Fuller early on or get good depth / projects in Antone Exum, James Gayle, or Logan Thomas.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
isn't logan thomas' dad jim druckenmiller?
Share 49ersWebzone