LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

the virginia tech connection

• xcfan
  • Veteran
we might end up drafting three of these guys: cb kyle fuller, cb/s antone exum, and qb logan thomas.
i really like the two dbs. the big guy can be a good sideline wind-break for kaep at bad-weather games.
think it'll happen?
Looking at the list of VT guys Fuller, Thomas and Exum are the three big ones. Harbaugh was the only one there I believe which to me means he was looking at Thomas, Fuller or both. That being said you would think Donatell would have been there if we plan on taking Fuller at 30. Maybe we have all the info we need on him and we still might take him at 30. Could just be that Harbaugh was seeing if Thomas is worthy of being a 3rd QB project. Personally, I think there is a good chance we take Verrett or Fuller at 30 if they are there.
I'm sure our big board is already set and we're doing do diligence.

I really like all 3 of those guys.
Thomas is so terrible right now, it's hard to watch. But he does have a unique physical skillset, so Harbaugh likely wants to see if it's a worthwhile project.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Thomas is so terrible right now, it's hard to watch. But he does have a unique physical skillset, so Harbaugh likely wants to see if it's a worthwhile project.

in the 6th or 7th round why not, he'd be a 3rd QB at best if he can beat out Gabbert or Bethel-Thompson. If it was up to me I'd pass on Thomas and take David Fales, Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw, Zach Mettenberger or James Franklin.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

in the 6th or 7th round why not, he'd be a 3rd QB at best if he can beat out Gabbert or Bethel-Thompson. If it was up to me I'd pass on Thomas and take David Fales, Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw, Zach Mettenberger or James Franklin.

With the trade for Gabbert I´m not sure we will pick a QB at all. I´m pretty sure that we will not have 3 QB´s on our 53 man roster and i would be shocked if we would be able to get either one of those guys on our practice squad.
I doubt Thomas even gets drafted.

I also don't think it's a guarantee that Gabbert makes the team.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Agree with both

Disagree with both.

Thomas will be drafted as a developmental TE if he's not intelligent enough to play QB which seems to be the case. 4.61 with long arms and huge hands is enough to get him drafted given he doesn't have the off-field issues that some other projects have. I am curious about his Wonderlic score but haven't found it so it may not have been leaked.

Gabbert is a much better player than a typical 6th round pick. The reasons we were able to get him for a 6th round pick are that he is owed over 3 million this year (the 49ers are paying over 2 million of that) and the Jaguars want to avoid a QB controversy. As far as I know, if we cut him we don't save any money (deal is fully guaranteed) but I could be wrong.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Agreed. I'd rather have a few of those also, but I get the feeling Harbaugh or Baalke really like Thomas. Last year I remember we had scouts at more VA Tech games than any other. The board was trying to figure out why, and I always had the suspicion it was for Thomas. Now with Harbaugh going to the pro day, in favor of Fales's pro day, and not taking Donatell with him to this one, I get the feeling he's there for Thomas.

I'd actually really like to see us grab Fuller for CB and grab Exum to be a Safety. James Gayle is a guy I could see us grabbing to be an OLB. 6'3 7/8th, 259 lbs and showed very good athleticism at the Combine (4.68, 37'' Vert, 10'2" broad, 7.19 3-cone) his vertical was 2nd best of all DL, his 3-cone was 6th best, and his 40 was 5th best. Had 22 career sacks and 40.5 tackles for loss. And can be had in the 4th -5th round.
If bj Daniels got drafted by us in the 7th I believe Thomas can be drafted by us really late as well.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Disagree with both.

Thomas will be drafted as a developmental TE if he's not intelligent enough to play QB which seems to be the case. 4.61 with long arms and huge hands is enough to get him drafted given he doesn't have the off-field issues that some other projects have. I am curious about his Wonderlic score but haven't found it so it may not have been leaked.

Gabbert is a much better player than a typical 6th round pick. The reasons we were able to get him for a 6th round pick are that he is owed over 3 million this year (the 49ers are paying over 2 million of that) and the Jaguars want to avoid a QB controversy. As far as I know, if we cut him we don't save any money (deal is fully guaranteed) but I could be wrong.

This is true. His $2,011,587 salary is fully guaranteed. The way Baalke runs this team it would be very surprising to see Gabbert cut. And unless we dont plan to have 3 QB´s on the 53 man roster I dont think we will draft one. No way we would be able to get a player like David Fales, Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw or Zach Mettenberger on our practice squad. Even Thomas would be tricky. Also Baalke would have used 4 draft picks in the last two years on QB´s then.

They thought that we will not be able to get a better QB than Gabbert in the 6th round this year and took him.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:36 AM ]
Agreed. I'd rather have a few of those also, but I get the feeling Harbaugh or Baalke really like Thomas. Last year I remember we had scouts at more VA Tech games than any other. The board was trying to figure out why, and I always had the suspicion it was for Thomas. Now with Harbaugh going to the pro day, in favor of Fales's pro day, and not taking Donatell with him to this one, I get the feeling he's there for Thomas.

I am a die hard VT fan and from VA as well, so I keep a close eye on this. My guess is that all of you are correct. Seems like we have been linked to Exum for a while now, as far as Logan goes... He has great potential and could be that Leftwich type guy that can run the offense just good enough! Fuller we all know could be the 1st round pick.
Originally posted by fortyniner52:

I am a die hard VT fan and from VA as well, so I keep a close eye on this. My guess is that all of you are correct. Seems like we have been linked to Exum for a while now, as far as Logan goes... He has great potential and could be that Leftwich type guy that can run the offense just good enough! Fuller we all know could be the 1st round pick.

what do you think of Exum? He looks like a safety, but from what I've seen, he actually performs better at CB. Curious to get your assessment as a VT fan
Share 49ersWebzone