LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Gabe Jackson

IMO, we won't be able to afford Iupati.

I've been following this guy for a while and feel he'll be an elite G for years to come.

Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700848/gabe-jackson
I'm thinking a 3rd round pick?
hear the name and am forced to think of gabe wilkins. i'll pass.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
He is one of the few guards in this draft i really like. But i think with Lupati, Looney, Martin and Seymour we are in pretty good condition. Also Spencer Long was one of my favorite guards before his injury. I know acl tears are a little more tricky on a guy who weighs 320 but i would rather take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th and put him on IR. I think both have the potential to be special.
Originally posted by crabman82:
hear the name and am forced to think of gabe wilkins. i'll pass.

Yep. No Gabe's. Ever.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, we won't be able to afford Iupati.

I've been following this guy for a while and feel he'll be an elite G for years to come.

Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700848/gabe-jackson

actually have him in one of my mocks....but i really hope we keep iupati
I like Gabe Jackson a lot, I do think he can be a very good starting guard in the NFL for awhile, has everything you look for. Probably my favorite guard prospect in this entire draft.
Jackson is likely the best mauler in this draft. I think the 49ers will definitely target a lineman and I think people are too quick to dismiss the idea that we might do it earlier rather than later.

49ers are notorious for taking college tackles that they feel are better fits at guard and converting them too (Mike Person - currently with Colts, Kilgore - just got extended, Boone - All-Pro starter at RG).
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Jackson is likely the best mauler in this draft. I think the 49ers will definitely target a lineman and I think people are too quick to dismiss the idea that we might do it earlier rather than later.

49ers are notorious for taking college tackles that they feel are better fits at guard and converting them too (Mike Person - currently with Colts, Kilgore - just got extended, Boone - All-Pro starter at RG).

I can see Jackson being an absurdly perfect fit on this offensive line, might not as dominant of a run blocker as Iupati is at times but still a very talented guard prospect who isn't a slouch at pass protection either.
Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Ryan Seymour...tells me Baalke isn't likely to draft an OG until day 3. I did see a mock with Yankey in rd 2...possible, I suppose. There'd seem to be a better chance of that happening if they did some trading down to get some extra early picks so they can still get the quality WR's and CB's they need.

With so many picks the 49ers could do anything.
I have Jackson as a 2nd rd pick. I have no issues taking him if he falls to the Titans 3rd round pick. I also like Xavier Su'a-Filo, but he probably goes earlier.

Spencer Long would be a nice stash away pick. Also like Chris Watt, Anthony Steen, and Brandon Thomas as depth.
I like Jackson too, he would be a surprise pick at 56 or 61 if he lasts that long. I think if we picked him we would have him get in better shape and get his weight down from 335 to 325 or so. I think he has the potential to take over for Iupati at LG or we could move Boone to LG and make Jackson the RG. Probably wouldn't do that though would leave or left side a lot lot lighter and our pass pro side and our right side our heavy run side. Probably better to keep it mixed.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM ]
I think there is a way that we keep lupati. You cannot let someone that dominant and important to the thing you do well (run) just walk out the door. Plus, if the Cap goes up even more next year we might be setting pretty.

Also, i think willis, davis and a few of the bigger cap guys will re-structure so we can keep some guys around.

I see that happening.
Share 49ersWebzone