49ers surprise by picking...

• Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Andra:
Jimmie Ward FS /slot CB that would surprise me

Just wanted to pat myself on the back

It's better to be lucky than good
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/28/5650590/jimmie-ward-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

We got a very good player.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/4/28/5650590/jimmie-ward-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

We got a very good player.

I agree his versatility is similar to the Tyrann Mathieu
Some Niner fans and media are already crying because 1) Baalke didn't trade up; 2) apparently they didn't pick whoever it was they wanted. Get over it. Jimmie Ward is a dandy football player...a ballhawk who can hit. He can play both S positions and arguably slot CB. He was the 3rd rated S in Walter Football's draft prospect list...ahead of Bucannon, who was picked before him. I'm sure Baalke tried to trade up, but for whatever reason couldn't get a deal he liked. In that case, it's better to stand pat than to make a deal you're not happy with. I was somewhat surprised how early some players were picked...didn't really expect Fuller to go at #14...ditto Bucannon in the 1st rd. But, hey, the teams that took those guys obviously thought they were worth taking at those spots. Baalke has 10 more picks to play with...I'd expect him to trade up in the 2nd and 3rd rds, to get some players he and Harbaugh like.

Good s**t
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Good s**t

Thanks dude , just luck but I still danced around the house like I was some kind genius
Bringing this old one back...

Payton Lynch or Leonard Floyd
Shilique Calhoun
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I guess my surprise pick this year would be Noah Spence. I know he getting a lot of hype in the war room but I still see him as a reach at #7 with the character concerns so it would surprise me if Baalke picked him.

Oh yeah, who was that who nailed it on the Jimmie Ward pick?
I was just about to create another thread like this until this got bumped. Since Baalke can be unpredictable, here's a list of players that we could draft that would surprise many people.

Darron Lee (LB, Ohio State)- Myles Jack could be off the board. Lee would give them that run and chase linebacker who can cover and close fast in the flats. Much healthier than Jaylon Smith and much more athletic than Ragland.

Shaq Lawson (EDGE, Clemson)- could blow up the combine and edge prospects will be early commodities this year. Many believe Lawson to e a better fit as a 4-3 DE, but the same was said of Aldon Smith and the Niners picked him 7th overall.

Kevin Dodd (EDGE, Clemson)- same logic applies to Lawson's teammate Dodd. Edge rushers will be high on teams' lists.

Vernon Butler (DL, Louisiana Tech)- Baalke has never shied away from small school players, senior bowl stars, or late risers (sometimes against his better judgement). Butler is a 325 pounder who has drawn comparisons to Bills DL Marcell Dareus.

Sheldon Rankins (DL, Louisville)- another interior DL who had a nice Senior Bowl week.

Jarran Reed (DL, Alabama)- see Rankins

William Jackson (CB, Houston). Vernon Hargreaves is viewed by most as superior, but Chip Kelly likes big corners and Jackson provides size. Same logic applies to Ohio State's Eli Apple.

Josh Doctson (WR, TCU), Corey Coleman (WR, Baylor), or Michael Thomas (WR, Ohio State) - If treadwell is as slow as some fear, 49ers may look elsewhere for a top pass catching option. Chip's Eagles selected Agholor in the 1st in 2015, Matthews in the 2nd in 2014.

Paxton Lynch (QB Memphis)- Wouldn't be too much of a surprise I suppose, I view his situation as similar to Blake Bortles in 2014. He's not ready yet and his true value lies late 1st/early 2nd, but you have to take him early to secure him if that's the guy you truly want.

Ezekiel Elliot (RB Ohio State)- pure BPA type of pick? I wouldn't like it, b/c 1st round RB but he'd fit scheme and be reunited with former OSU teammate Hyde and form dynamic 1-2punch.

Any others you guys have?
Ramsey. Although extremely talented, I'd be surprised if he was the pick with the amount of young DBs on the roster
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Feb 21, 2016 at 1:30 PM ]
Josh Doctson and Shiquile Calhoun would be possible surprises IMO.
If we stayed at 7....Lawson.
  • Kolohe
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Ramsey. Although extremely talented, I'd be surprised if he was the pick with the amount of young DBs on the roster

Baalke should be fired right after handing in that card, UNLESS Eric Reid is traded right before the draft. The secondary is the last thing the 49ers should consider with the 7th overall pick.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:

Baalke should be fired right after handing in that card, UNLESS Eric Reid is traded right before the draft. The secondary is the last thing the 49ers should consider with the 7th overall pick.

They could trade him after they drafted him too...dude is a stud and could play corner if need be. He won't make it to us either way.

I'd love it if they drafted Ramsey and then traded him to a team that drafted spence along with some added picks of course