There are 249 users in the forums

2014 Mock Draft DTG_9er

Yep...I've done some in the past and they are a lot of work! The most fun are the collaborative, because you have other people to bounce ideas off. But, you did well, my friend. One of the best I've seen so far.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Don't get me wrong dtg, I love the DB's that you've selected...everyone of them. But I think you went a little overkill with the secondary, IMO. That would be a bunch more DB's added to a big bunch of DB's already on the team. I also think the team needs to draft a ILB somewhere on day 3. Sure there's Wilhoite and Moody, but with Bowman out, added competition to make that Ted position would be best.

Forgot to mention--I kept putting ILBs in and taking them out...couldn't make up my mind and they kept bumping guys I really liked who were productive in college...then thought about the last pick in the 7th...didn't think anyone would make the team except for injured guys...and we already have Bowman! So gave up and will hope Wilhoite, Moody, Skuta or Flemming can fill in for Bowman if he can't come back by week one. Also thought about moving Brooks inside and using Lemonier in his spot. Anyway...options abound!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sure, here you go. Here's 8 slot receiver prospects (note: this doesn't include every possible slot receiver):

* Marqise Lee, USC .. 6-0 192 4.52
* Odell Beckham Jr, LSU .. 5-11 193 4.43
* Robert Herron, Wyoming .. 5-9 193 4.48
* Jeremy Gallon, Michigan .. 5-8 185 4.49
* Isaiah Burse, Fresno State .. 5-10 188 4.58
* Brandin Cooks, Oregon State .. 5-10 189 4.33
* Bruce Ellington, South Carolina .. 5-9 197 4.45
* Austin Franklin, New Mexico St .. 5-11 189 4.56
* Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest .. 5-9 192 4.46

I will reveal my major potential 49er targets at a later time.

I like these guys but don't see them happening unless the niners fall in love and jockey for position. Cooks, Lee, and Beckham will likely be gone before #30 and I like Saunders and Reese as much of any others--though they are much lighter and thus less likely to hold their own against the Shermans of the world.

Look forward to your target list!

This is something I'm most curious to see how it unfolds. Beckham is not my favorite receiver in this class, but he and Lee, to me, seem to be the most likely early targets for the 49ers in that list.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Yep...I've done some in the past and they are a lot of work! The most fun are the collaborative, because you have other people to bounce ideas off. But, you did well, my friend. One of the best I've seen so far.

Thanks again Corva--I love reading all the mocks on here and seeing how different they can be given our various perspectives. I don't pretend to know all of these guys well enough to be a GM...or a scout...or an assistant to the scouts...but it's still fun! I haven't done a collaborative yet but would probably drive people nuts jumping back and forth trying to make up my mind. I've already thought of some guys I really didn't want to leave off (Janis & Ryan Carrethers) but forgot to include...argh! LOL!
This is something I'm most curious to see how it unfolds. Beckham is not my favorite receiver in this class, but he and Lee, to me, seem to be the most likely early targets for the 49ers in that list.

I keep seeing them go in the 20's but that's assuming a run on WRs. It's possible that the number of good quality WRs will force them down the draft and one of these guys or Cooks could be there at 30. I like their speed/height/weight ratios and they are within trade distance for the niners...so, who knows? One mock I saw last week had four WRs going from 27 through 30 with the niners taking Benjamin.
Love your mock bro.

I keep seeing them go in the 20's but that's assuming a run on WRs. It's possible that the number of good quality WRs will force them down the draft and one of these guys or Cooks could be there at 30. I like their speed/height/weight ratios and they are within trade distance for the niners...so, who knows? One mock I saw last week had four WRs going from 27 through 30 with the niners taking Benjamin.

Cooks might be there, but he is one player I do not want. Watch his game against Washington, one of the better coverage teams he faced. It's one of the closer things he'd see to a Seattle-like secondary, and Cooks looked pretty much helpless, even when they tried to line him up on special plays to get him the ball. He was beaten soundly one on one for virtually the entire game. Against another top opponent in Oregon, he did very little as well.

Look at his competition and see who he racks up big games against. His best game came against the worst pass defense in the entire FBS and the majority of his production was against horrible competition rated outside the Top 100 in the FBS. He's a quick, speedy player, who did some good things in many games to be fair. Bottom line: to me he does not project to be a starting #1 or #2 in the NFL, so the first or second round is too high in a deep class. Overall I give him a 3rd round grade.
best mock ive seen this offseason! maybe substitute jordan matthews for a slot WR type of player but either way this draft would be a complete success!
Originally posted by Hulk_Smash:
Love your mock bro.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
best mock ive seen this offseason! maybe substitute jordan matthews for a slot WR type of player but either way this draft would be a complete success!

Thanks to both of you!

OTC--I like many WRs but the only guy I like more than Matthews is Watkins...who will be long gone. I watched Matthews against the best defenses in the country and he caught balls over, around and through them. The only guy I was more impressed with as a take charge receiver was Landry, who would be my back up...though at a later round. I'm not a 40 yard time kind of guy, though I understand the need for NFL physical skills. As a matter of fact, it was difficult for me to eliminate Landry!
Jalen Saunders sighting! Phoenix will be in to hate in 3....2.....

Cooks might be there, but he is one player I do not want. Watch his game against Washington, one of the better coverage teams he faced. It's one of the closer things he'd see to a Seattle-like secondary, and Cooks looked pretty much helpless, even when they tried to line him up on special plays to get him the ball. He was beaten soundly one on one for virtually the entire game. Against another top opponent in Oregon, he did very little as well.

Look at his competition and see who he racks up big games against. His best game came against the worst pass defense in the entire FBS and the majority of his production was against horrible competition rated outside the Top 100 in the FBS. He's a quick, speedy player, who did some good things in many games to be fair. Bottom line: to me he does not project to be a starting #1 or #2 in the NFL, so the first or second round is too high in a deep class. Overall I give him a 3rd round grade.

Love you OTC, but that grade is just ridiculous.

Cooks had 10 catches 117 yards and a TD against washington BTW...
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Thanks to both of you!

OTC--I like many WRs but the only guy I like more than Matthews is Watkins...who will be long gone. I watched Matthews against the best defenses in the country and he caught balls over, around and through them. The only guy I was more impressed with as a take charge receiver was Landry, who would be my back up...though at a later round. I'm not a 40 yard time kind of guy, though I understand the need for NFL physical skills. As a matter of fact, it was difficult for me to eliminate Landry!
Evans???
It's kind of funny...the treads
Sure, here you go. Here's 8 slot receiver prospects (note: this doesn't include every possible slot receiver):

I like these guys but don't see them happening unless the niners fall in love and jockey for position. Cooks, Lee, and Beckham will likely be gone before #30 and I like Saunders and Reese as much of any others--though they are much lighter and thus less likely to hold their own against the Shermans of the world.

It's funny as you go through the threads from all over the draftboard how many players will be "long gone before 30"....like 50 different guys! Says something about a deep draft. One thing for sure, if we sit at 30, there will still be some awesome talent available, as well as at 56 and 61.
It's kind of funny...the treads

It's funny as you go through the threads from all over the draftboard how many players will be "long gone before 30"....like 50 different guys! Says something about a deep draft. One thing for sure, if we sit at 30, there will still be some awesome talent available, as well as at 56 and 61.
Oops, sorry
Share 49ersWebzone