There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Mock Draft DTG_9er

Mock Draft 2014

1st (30) Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. 6'0" 190 (Unless they trade up—the best CB available)

An All-ACC performer the past three seasons, Fuller is rangy and light-footed with quick movements, long arms and can play man or zone coverage. Fuller is a string bean with limited room to get much stronger, but he plays bigger than he looks with the confidence and instincts to make plays wherever he lines up. (CBS Overview)

2nd (56) Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt 6'3" 212 (Just like this guy—good production, speed, size)

Size/speed combination along with his hand/eye coordination and body control makes him an attractive prospect, showing the ability to make plays at all levels of the field and do damage after the catch. (CBS Strengths)

2nd (61) Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S0, Florida St. 5'8" 184 (Excellent athlete, can play a role)

The versatile defensive back has bounced between safety and cornerback most of his career, but played mostly a cornerback role as a senior, seeing a lot of action as a nickel back covering the slot receiver. (CBS Overview)

3rd (77) Weston Richburg, C, Colorado St. 6'3" 298 (Early starter or solid backup?)

Often asked to pull on sweeps, screens and shows impressive quickness and change of direction for a man of his size. Intelligent. Makes all of the line calls and keeps his head on a swivel to help teammates when uncovered. Durable--started all 49 games of his career. (CBS Strengths)

3rd (94) Keith McGill, CB, Utah 6'3" 211 (Position of need and he has size niners lack)

Tall, well-proportioned athlete with intriguing fluidity and straight-line speed. Frequently asked to play press in Utah's scheme and displays the balance, agility and acceleration to perform well in this role at the next level. Moved to cornerback during the spring of 2013, McGill earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors from the coaches as a senior. (CBS)

3rd (100) Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia 6'1" 207 (Injury may bring him within reach, or Fales could be taken here)

Murray does many of the little things well. He has a quick set-up and delivery. He throws a tight spiral and is creative in the pocket, showing the ability to slide and re-set, as well as deliver passes from a variety of arm slots. He throws deep passes with velocity and good trajectory and can attack down the seam with excellent touch, as well. He's starred in a pro-style offense for four seasons against elite competition and showed the mettle under fire as a senior to handle the leadership duties expected of a franchise field general. (CBS)

4th (125) Dion Bailey, S, USC 6'0" 201 (Seems suited to play either S position—backup for both)

Lanky, athletic hybrid defender with extensive starting experience at outside linebacker and safety. Very good diagnosis skills. Reads the action quickly and is rarely out of position. Experience in the box shows as he is comfortable in traffic, showing very good awareness and vision to weave through the trash to get to the ball. (CBS)

5th (158) Jalen Saunders, WR/PR, Oklahoma 5'9" 165 (Small but very tempting).

Excellent punt returner and quick WR.

7th (218) Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma 5'11" 177 (Was a 2/3 rounder until injured)

Injury makes this guy available and 9ers aren't afraid to wait.

7th (219) Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor 5'10" 163 (Game breaker?).

Fast and sudden, adjusts to ball and good body control. Excellent athletic ability, leaping, quickness. Slight and might not be able to get off line in the NFL.

7th (220) Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska 6'5" 320 (All Academic).

Good frame, solid in pass protection, good anchor, shadow and mirror. Nastiness, intensity, competitive. Versatile--has played inside and out.

7th (222) Trade forward.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM ]
what the...
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
what the...

Playing with paint...always fun, but annoying!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Don't get me wrong dtg, I love the DB's that you've selected...everyone of them. But I think you went a little overkill with the secondary, IMO. That would be a bunch more DB's added to a big bunch of DB's already on the team. I also think the team needs to draft a ILB somewhere on day 3. Sure there's Wilhoite and Moody, but with Bowman out, added competition to make that Ted position would be best.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Don't get me wrong dtg, I love the DB's that you've selected...everyone of them. But I think you went a little overkill with the secondary, IMO. That would be a bunch more DB's added to a big bunch of DB's already on the team. I also think the team needs to draft a ILB somewhere on day 3. Sure there's Wilhoite and Moody, but with Bowman out, added competition to make that Ted position would be best.

LOL...yes, but I just couldn't put any back on the shelf! I really don't think they have any real weak areas except WR and DB so...

All the DL and LBs I wanted were gone when I looked at the logical spots they were likely to fall. As I looked through my mock I began to think Baalke will trade way up to get a top flight CB or a bit less to get a top WR.
Excellent mock draft!
I really like it, but in the end of the third, I'd probably take that much-wished-for speed receiver...maybe Ellington or similar. Otherwise, awesome.
If Moncrief is available @ 56 we would probably be better served by taking him. If not, Matthews is okay with me. I am not a fan of Joyner, rather have Verret. Overall a solid draft, though I agree a little heavy on the defensive backs.
Replace Joyner with Moncrief and it looks great. I don't think they will all still be there when we pick but I hope it works out this way.
Love it! Only change I might make is Richburg...with Kilgore's extension, that tells me he'll be Harbaugh's C. At least 3 other guys can provide b/u. So, I'd opt for an ILB instead. WRT Matthews vs Moncrief, I like both guys, but if you look at their college careers, JM has the better resume. He's been consistently productive and ran a 4.46, so is quick enough and has arguably the best work ethic of all receivers in this draft. He has over 100 more receptions, 1400 yds and 4 more TD's than Moncrief.
Not bad at all.
Good draft man!

I appreciate how you laid it out.

Disagree w/you and many posters who keep going C in 3rd round. The pick, Richburg, is an excellent move BUT IMO it's pissing in the wind. Kilgore is the C and will be for a while.

We could use that pick for a better WR.

I think Montcreif will be an incredible WR so I'm a bit biased in his direction. Matthews is a solid choice.

Good call on Saunders as PR.

VERY smart move stashing Long & Colvin.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
and I have to disagree with you.

i think that the majority want Baalke to pick two CBs in the first three rounds. he did it. colvin is a 7th-rounder and will be red-shirted.
bailey is a needed S-backup and perhaps the future starter at SS.

though, another pass-rushing lb on.day 3 would be certainly fine.

and a DE, dont care how ;)

ovr, very good.

moncrief over matthews, verrett over fuller, ellington over saunders would be my Personal choice but that is more of a personal preference.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I really like it, but in the end of the third, I'd probably take that much-wished-for speed receiver...maybe Ellington or similar. Otherwise, awesome.

Thanks, believe me, I tried! Player just didn't line up where I wanted them and I don't like projecting trades...gets too outlandish. Most of the receivers I liked fell high first or high second, and the niners have only one pick in that range--#30. I kept looking at Cooks and Beckham--higher than 30th--and Moncrief and Adams--high second. Also thought about Landry but I see him as very similar to Matthews so didn't make the call.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Love it! Only change I might make is Richburg...with Kilgore's extension, that tells me he'll be Harbaugh's C. At least 3 other guys can provide b/u. So, I'd opt for an ILB instead. WRT Matthews vs Moncrief, I like both guys, but if you look at their college careers, JM has the better resume. He's been consistently productive and ran a 4.46, so is quick enough and has arguably the best work ethic of all receivers in this draft. He has over 100 more receptions, 1400 yds and 4 more TD's than Moncrief.

Thanks Corva--I would like to see a true center behind Kilgore, who was dinged up last year in limited play. Richburg has been making line calls and likely knows the position better than the other backups would/do. I kept putting Moncrief in and then trying to adjust to the various prospect lists but the only place he seemed really certain to be was in the second and I have a slight leaning toward Matthews overall. Would be great if Cooks or Lee fell to 30th.

LasVegasWally--similar to my comments to Corva, I like Matthews over Moncrief (but just barely), and I really want the niners to settle the center position that has been iffy since...Heitmann? Thought about putting both Matthews and Moncrief in the mock but then WR would be as overkilled as CB!

Originally posted by communist:

moncrief over matthews, verrett over fuller, ellington over saunders would be my Personal choice but that is more of a personal preference.

Thanks Commie--Looked at each of these guys and just disagree in the end...but many mocks have Verrett even with Fuller and Moncrief/Matthews close.

Doing mocks is a fun exercise but it is frustrating! As many choices as the niners have this year I wanted twice as many players! Much of any mock's realism will be determined by how the positions begin to fly off the board. If WRs go high, which I think they will, then this is the mock I would see happening. If they don't go high, as in five first round WRs, then perhaps my mock would have been very different. If Cooks was there at #30 it would change the whole mock.
With all due respect to you, my friend, I am not sure how realistic this one is. Seems a little hit-and-miss in my honest opinion. I think the team will look more for a true speed element in the receiving game. Barring a major trade up to deplete our amount of picks, I do foresee the team taking at least 2 WRs and 2 DBs.

The 49ers have shown interest in everything except your typical, run-of-the-mill possession receivers. Matthews is quite a solid one, prospect wise, but I don't think that's what we're looking for. The 49ers have shown a lot of interest in slot receiver types as well as the tall red zone threats like Benjamin and Mike Evans. Primarily slot guys though.

There are actually a couple players in particular not being talked about much that I think are major targets we could go after in the middle rounds.