LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Harbaugh Attempted Recruitments

Does anyone know some players that Harbaugh tryed to recruited while he was at Stanford but failed to do so? Or even players he styed to recruit while he was at San Diego? Seems that they end up turning good in the NFL (Ried, Kuechly) and might give us an idea of who we might draft. I tryed to look it up on google but couldnt find anything even when I type "Stanford tryed to recruit..." It jus pulls up who they did recuit.
The list of players a major University football program would attempt to recruit would be enormous. The Stanford program probably "recruited" over 1,000 players during Harbaugh's time. Recruiting is a spectrum. Phone calls, e-mails, background checks, game tape request, etc. If you are looking for players whom received personal visits from Harbaugh, that is going to be difficult to find. The only suggestion would be to find the local beat writer and search his archives.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Since07:
Does anyone know some players that Harbaugh tryed to recruited while he was at Stanford but failed to do so? Or even players he styed to recruit while he was at San Diego? Seems that they end up turning good in the NFL (Ried, Kuechly) and might give us an idea of who we might draft. I tryed to look it up on google but couldnt find anything even when I type "Stanford tryed to recruit..." It jus pulls up who they did recuit.

Your best bet is to just track players we've drafted, sent scouts to games, or interviewed at the combine / pro day / senior bowl / EW, etc. I still have my list of games with scouts in attendance from two seasons ago (2012). I'm still very intrigued by it because we attended 6 VaTech games, didn't draft a single player from there but now Harbaugh was at their pro day today with notable prospects like Fuller, Exum, Gayle, and Thomas all entering the draft.

High school recruiting would play a very minimal role in today's research because only them most elite talents don't go through a position change from what they played in high school.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM ]
^Thanx!!! Ill do that!

Originally posted by sfout:
Your best bet is to just track players we've drafted, sent scouts to games, or interviewed at the combine / pro day / senior bowl / EW, etc. I still have my list of games with scouts in attendance from two seasons ago (2012). I'm still very intrigued by it because we attended 6 VaTech games, didn't draft a single player from there but now Harbaugh was at their pro day today with notable prospects like Fuller, Exum, Gayle, and Thomas all entering the draft.

High school recruiting would play a very minimal role in today's research because only them most elite talents don't go through a position change from what they played in high school.

Yea thats true, there a big jump between coming out of high school and the nfl thanx for The advice
  • sfout
  • Veteran
lol yea either way it is a lot of work.

Walterfootball still has last year's combine/pro-day interview list up and we drafted or signed as UDFA 6 of 37 players that we met with. I believe the year before was a comparable ratio.

If scouting trips from a year ago factor in at all or stay at similar amount, I would assume they would keep scouting the players this season but I couldn't find anything like this list for this season. Right now my money is on us taking any of the following.......

Marqise Lee or Devon Kennard (3 games scouted last year - Baalke was closely monitoring the WRs during pre-games at one game according to reports)
Kyle Fuller or one of the other VaTech prospects (6 games scouted and now Harbaugh was it their pro-day and ate lunch with Kyle Fuller and Logan Thomas...Tomsula had dinner with Carradine last year. Sure it happens with the same prospect going out for a meal with probably any serious team but you have to wonder)

after awhile you start reaching and connecting invisible dots but it is a long offseason
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Last I checked he's at some big walrus' pro day. Next up, (rumor has it) he's gonna check out some orangutan to do chin-ups and squats with
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Last I checked he's at some big walrus' pro day. Next up, (rumor has it) he's gonna check out some orangutan to do chin-ups and squats with

I hear he's Tomsula's next "pet project"......**ba dum chihhhh**
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

I hear he's Tomsula's next "pet project"......**ba dum chihhhh**

Okoye better step it up, the walrus ain't no joke, but the orangutan is even better...

Walterfootball still has last year's combine/pro-day interview list up and we drafted or signed as UDFA 6 of 37 players that we met with. I believe the year before was a comparable ratio.

If scouting trips from a year ago factor in at all or stay at similar amount, I would assume they would keep scouting the players this season but I couldn't find anything like this list for this season. Right now my money is on us taking any of the following.......

Marqise Lee or Devon Kennard (3 games scouted last year - Baalke was closely monitoring the WRs during pre-games at one game according to reports)
Kyle Fuller or one of the other VaTech prospects (6 games scouted and now Harbaugh was it their pro-day and ate lunch with Kyle Fuller and Logan Thomas...Tomsula had dinner with Carradine last year. Sure it happens with the same prospect going out for a meal with probably any serious team but you have to wonder)

after awhile you start reaching and connecting invisible dots but it is a long offseason

good s**t! Made the thread worth while

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Players I can think of right now are Blaine Gabbert and Robert Griffin 3 oh and Eric Reid.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Please Harbaugh not Logan Thomas, sure Thomas has Kaepernick skills but the guy just turns the ball over too damn much!!!!

In 4 years passing, Kaepernick threw 24 INT's, in 3 years Thomas threw 39 INT's, that's actually double considering Thomas started 1 less year.

.......No I'm not panicking!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Please Harbaugh not Logan Thomas, sure Thomas has Kaepernick skills but the guy just turns the ball over too damn much!!!!

In 4 years passing, Kaepernick threw 24 INT's, in 3 years Thomas threw 39 INT's, that's actually double considering Thomas started 1 less year.

.......No I'm not panicking!!!

He's a talented, late round prospect. You don't usually draft those guys based on past performance, but rather projection. He's clearly not very good now. But with proper coaching, can he be?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We don't need to draft another Qb, that's why we traded for Gabbert for.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 20, 2014 at 1:08 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
We don't need to draft another Qb, that's why we traded for Gabbert for.

It would be wise to draft another QB on day 3 or bring in a UDRFA to compete with McLeod Bethel-Thompson or even Blaine Gabbert. The back up situation behind Kaepernick is far from being settled.
Share 49ersWebzone