There are 289 users in the forums

How many draft picks actually make the 53 man roster?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I agree. What is the point of having 7th round picks if they have no chance to make the roster no matter how well they play?

By my count, in the last three years, we have drafted 7 players in the seventh round.

Three of those players are still on the squad.

42.9 % of our 7th round picks in the last three years have made the team.

Bruce Miller was a 7th round pick in 2011. He is a starter.

Cameron Johnson was a 7th round pick in 2012. He made the team and eventually traded.

Carter Bykowski was a 7th round pick in 2013. I am pretty sure he is still on the team.

The team has shown a willingness to keep and play undrafted free agents. I did not check the complete roster, but here are some undrafted free agents that are on the team.

1. Alex Boone
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Darryl Morris
4. Jewel Hampton
5. McLeod Bethel-Thompson
6. Alex Debniak
7. Lawrence Okoye
8. Luke Marquardt
9. Derek Carrier
10. Garrett Celek
11. Michael Wilhoite
12. Raymond Ventrone
13. Mike Purcell
14. C.J. Spillman
15. Dax Swanson

We have 18 players on the squad the were drafted in the 7th round or were not drafted at all.

As of today, 34% of the 53 players on our roster were 7th round picks or undrafted free agents.

I think any player drafted has a chance to make the team.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM ]
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I'm seeing a range in the number of contracted players expected to make next years roster, but it feels to me that only 4-8 players in this years draft will make the roster (barring any additional acquisitions before the draft/ after the draft).

In a "perfect draft" every one of the selections would be a keeper and not a "red-shirt" selection.

Seems to me like there should be much trading of draft picks in order to target the Players the Front Office wants this year while trading a couple to get more picks next year and continue this philosophy of entering the draft with extra picks to allow for some movement.

Agreed, I fully expect the Niners to trade up or out of most of their picks.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I agree. What is the point of having 7th round picks if they have no chance to make the roster no matter how well they play?

By my count, in the last three years, we have drafted 7 players in the seventh round.

Cameron Johnson was a 7th round pick in 2012. He made the team and eventually traded.

Carter Bykowski was a 7th round pick in 2013. I am pretty sure he is still on the team.

The team has shown a willingness to keep and play undrafted free agents. I did not check the complete roster, but here are some undrafted free agents that are on the team.

1. Alex Boone
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Darryl Morris
4. Jewel Hampton
6. Alex Debniak
7. Lawrence Okoye
8. Luke Marquardt
9. Derek Carrier
10. Garrett Celek
11. Michael Wilhoite
12. Raymond Ventrone
13. Mike Purcell
14. C.J. Spillman
15. Dax Swanson

We have 18 players on the squad the were drafted in the 7th round or were not drafted at all.

As of today, 34% of the 53 players on our roster were 7th round picks or undrafted free agents.

Very encouraging, eh? Not bad eye-for-talent esp. when you consider we're talking about a team that's been to 3-straight NFCCG's. I agree...anyone has a chance to make this team so one thing I've learned is to not ignore ANY players brought in (I call it the "TJE lesson") in the 7th round or as an UDFA or a "meh" or "camp fodder" FA signing.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I like that move, convert the 340 pound D-linemen to WR and put him out there in the slot!
Screw it, I say lets do it!

Sorry, my spirit morphed into Roman's body there for a second! LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:53 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

1. Alex Boone
2. Tramaine Brock
3. Darryl Morris
4. Jewel Hampton
6. Alex Debniak
7. Lawrence Okoye
8. Luke Marquardt
9. Derek Carrier
10. Garrett Celek
11. Michael Wilhoite
12. Raymond Ventrone
13. Mike Purcell
14. C.J. Spillman
15. Dax Swanson

Excellent post, and I'll just Add that BJ Daniels looks to be a keeper for Seattle (7th rounder in 2013) and Marcus Cooper looks to be a great player for KC (another 2013 7th rounder)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Isn't THIS a fantastic question/post. Before we even consider how many draftees will make the 53, 46, etc. take a look at all these players who are expected to make huge jumps this year and compete for starting positions (by positions):

[So, in just about every position, we're 2 and 3-deep already with proven talent and expected growth in year 2. I don't even know who in this year's draft class is going to crack the 53, let alone the 46 let alone who will get some real playing time. This draft will most likely focus on "quality" and will be developed for 2015 and 2016 starting roles.

It first glance, I would say that you must be wearing your rose-tinted glasses today.

Expected by who? The 49er coaches do not give us all that information about what they are expecting in player development. I would think hoped for makes more sense than expected.

In my estimation, we are clearly not two or three deep at wide receiver, safety, or defensive end. Although, the emergence of TJE at DE is certainly encouraging.

But, maybe the arrest of Culliver has just darkened by vision.

Oh, the "year 2" is a direct comment from Baalke (and other coaches) re: the year they actually have large expectations for players given the first year is all about learning the system and development (strength and conditioning and film).

I believe I have 4-6 players making it this year.

"...two or three deep at wide receiver, safety, or defensive end. Although, the emergence of TJE at DE is certainly encouraging."

I'd guess 3 spots for DB including S (have to have great ST play to beat out Dahl & Spillman). For DE, we'll have Carradine and Dial already along with Dobbs and TJE who both played well last year. And Williams will be back so we are very deep there unless we go blue-chipper to push for McDonald's role. S, I'd like a top S this year given the draft is deep at the two other spots we are weaker in, in CB and WR. We only kept 6-8 CB's last year so we've certainly got a couple spots there. And WR? This is a tougher one given we only run 3 WR sets 20% of the time and all three are "veterans" now along with the coaches saying they plan to utilize VM in the passing game more this year. So how many spots do we really have open? 1 or 2? A guy like Osgood may take one of those spots. In short, we're deep in just about every spot save for a few. So again, I only see 4-6 "quality" rookies really earning spots this year and pushing good players off this roster AND almost all will have to play on ST as well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Very encouraging, eh? Not bad eye-for-talent esp. when you consider we're talking about a team that's been to 3-straight NFCCG's. I agree...anyone has a chance to make this team so one thing I've learned is to not ignore ANY players brought in (I call it the "TJE lesson") in the 7th round or as an UDFA or a "meh" or "camp fodder" FA signing.

There is certainly a lot of depth that Baalke can convert to draft picks in the future. He does great job of that!

I am so looking forward to seeing the 3rd day draft picks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Oh, the "year 2" is a direct comment from Baalke (and other coaches) re: the year they actually have large expectations for players given the first year is all about learning the system and development (strength and conditioning and film).

"...two or three deep at wide receiver, safety, or defensive end. Although, the emergence of TJE at DE is certainly encouraging."

I'd guess 3 spots for DB including S (have to have great ST play to beat out Dahl & Spillman). For DE, we'll have Carradine and Dial already along with Dobbs and TJE who both played well last year. And Williams will be back so we are very deep there unless we go blue-chipper to push for McDonald's role. S, I'd like a top S this year given the draft is deep at the two other spots we are weaker in, in CB and WR. We only kept 6-8 CB's last year so we've certainly got a couple spots there. And WR? This is a tougher one given we only run 3 WR sets 20% of the time and all three are "veterans" now along with the coaches saying they plan to utilize VM in the passing game more this year. So how many spots do we really have open? 1 or 2? A guy like Osgood may take one of those spots. In short, we're deep in just about every spot save for a few. So again, I only see 4-6 "quality" rookies really earning spots this year and pushing good players off this roster AND almost all will have to play on ST as well.

I'll just piggy back on this and add - we have an opening at ILB (due to the injury to bowman) and an opening at center with Goodwin not being re-signed.

Still, your point is made, 6-8 picks might make this team, leaving at least 3 or more left out in the cold. We can't trade the comp picks, but we can probably trade the lowest picks for next years picks.
How many people are in favor of pulling off blockbuster trade with the raiders to get Watkins? Lets face it, not a lot of rookies will make the final cut on this deep roster. In my opinion quality>>>>>>>quantity. I would love to get Watkins even at a steep price, but i doubt Baalke will want to pull it off.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I'll just piggy back on this and add - we have an opening at ILB (due to the injury to bowman) and an opening at center with Goodwin not being re-signed.

Still, your point is made, 6-8 picks might make this team, leaving at least 3 or more left out in the cold. We can't trade the comp picks, but we can probably trade the lowest picks for next years picks.

Yes, yes, yes, very true! For C, Looney has trained there as well and the FO/coaching staff loves versatility just for this reason so the rookie C will also most likely have to be an ugrade over Looney at G too (as an example). Agreed about ILB (and top ST player) and I'd add a pure FB position as well (hopefully, the FO learned its lesson last year). But yeah, 6-8 sounds about right on...man, this is going to be a fun off season to see who emerges. Over the years it was Brown emerging as a CB starter, Reid and UDFA's like Brock and Boone and Willaims. Anyone has a shot and I love that!

There is certainly a lot of depth that Baalke can convert to draft picks in the future. He does great job of that!

I am so looking forward to seeing the 3rd day draft picks.

Yes, every since the FO reorg'd, I pay close attention to the later round picks and esp. the UDFA's...some PS players as well. We shouldn't forget those guys...and I certainly don't instantly disregard any FA pickups no matter if they are instantly classified as "camp fodder" or "meh" by NT.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
How many people are in favor of pulling off blockbuster trade with the raiders to get Watkins? Lets face it, not a lot of rookies will make the final cut on this deep roster. In my opinion quality>>>>>>>quantity. I would love to get Watkins even at a steep price, but i doubt Baalke will want to pull it off.

I think the emphasis on "top quality" over "developmental quality and quantity" is the theme this year, for sure!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:41 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Excellent post, and I'll just Add that BJ Daniels looks to be a keeper for Seattle (7th rounder in 2013) and Marcus Cooper looks to be a great player for KC (another 2013 7th rounder)

I agree.

I did not include 7th round picks that are in the NFL but on other teams.
To do so would have increased the apparent success of the 49ers at drafting 7th round picks.

But, we did lose them.

I agree.

I did not include 7th round picks that are in the NFL but on other teams.
To do so would have increased the apparent success of the 49ers at drafting 7th round picks.

But, we did lose them.

We should research or start a post this year called, "Camp Fodder." Every year there is a long list of guys we bring in for training camp (whether it's as 6-7th round draft picks, UDFA's or "meh" FA's). And the second they are signed you'll see a few hundred "camp fodder" posts. But as it turns out, some of these guys have paid off huge for us.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 1, 2014 at 9:04 AM ]
dbl
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 1, 2014 at 9:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone