Isn't THIS a fantastic question/post. Before we even consider how many draftees will make the 53, 46, etc. take a look at all these players who are expected to make huge jumps this year and compete for starting positions (by positions):
- Will be competing for an outside CB position to back up Culliver/Brock/Wright
- Will be competing with a slot CB in this year's draft for a starting role
- Already the #3 and will have a full off season to hit the ground running
- Currently the #3 and may be worked into the slot more. If not, he'll have to work hard against a blue-chip X or Z WR
- Expected to make a big jump this off season
- High expectations for this man and he's hungry
- Played very well last year and may even push Dobbs off the roster
- Tendered but may not even make the team with our depth!
- Was looking like the backup to Miller in the pre season until he got hurt and went on I.R. Watch this one closely! We needed a true backup FB badly last year.
(2nd year/1st-year starter) - Already slated to be out starting C and compete with Looney.
- Played well at RG in spot-duty last year and is expected to make big strides. Iupati, look out.
(ILB?) - May be looked to move inside but came out of college as a pass rush specialist. And we haven't given up on him yet.
- Already a great start last year and will be expected to step up even more this year
- The FO liked this kid and with Bowman out, he'll be leaned on heavily to step up this off season
- Is already our #3 OLB and very good ST and will only get better
- Played well for Willis and now, we expect him to play great for Bowman
- Welcome back kid. Now you get to face a starting competitoion with Dorsey and split time with him
- Hearing good things about this guy
Schmidt, Colton (
Andy had a poor year last year by his standards) - Will push Andy this year again
- Will be expected to becoome a viable backup this year
- Love this guy; could surprise everyone while Lattimore gets his playing-game back
- Underused, as always
- Underused, as always
- We all have big hopes for Marcus!
- An excellent ST but also may fit the "FS" role well which is important in today's game (vs. the SS role)
- Meh; dude looked horrible last off season and I doubt he'd beat out Marquardt and Martin and Snyder
- Already heard great thisngs about his progress last year
- Same here; watch out Celek! We could have our next Delanie Walker
- Is gong to have a heck of a time
- Coaches already said they plan to incorporate him more into the passing game!
- Is expected to make big strides like Wright with a full off season and some experience in our systems. This is his last shot but will have huge competition thanks to the draft.
- Man, is this guy hungry or what?
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177689-reason-and-emotion/page7/#8Ol9C9jMZKYpmcwX.99
So, in just about every position, we're 2 and 3-deep already with proven talent and expected growth in year 2. I don't even know who in this year's draft class is going to crack the 53, let alone the 46 let alone who will get some real playing time. This draft will most likely focus on "quality" and will be developed for 2015 and 2016 starting roles.