LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

How many draft picks actually make the 53 man roster?

Just wondering how many of the 11 picks we have might actually have a chance... What positions could be targeted? For instance, a QB in the first 3 rounds seems HIGHLY unlikely to me cuz the 9ers usually carry only 2 QBs and those guys are obviously gonna be Kaep n Gabbert (2m guaranteed) so if we add a QB will likely be a PS guy so maybe a 5th- 7th rounder at best but possibly an UDFA.

So what roster spots u guys think and how many? Any "medical red-shirt" type prospects that won't impact the 53 kinda like Carradine n Lattimore last year?

Mahalo! !!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I can see 6 or 7 make the team and 2 or 3 medical-redshirt types. I think all 7 of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks make it. I see 2 WR's, 2CB's, 1 SS/FS, 1 DL, and 1 LB or OL making the team. We also have Tank and Lattimore coming back and Dial should also make it. We could have 9 or 10 new guys on the team.
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too. Maybe 2 WRs, 2CBs, (hopefully with one CB n WR taken from our first 3 selections) 1 SS/FS, 1LB, 1DL and maybe 1C/G. I can easily see C/G as a spot for an appropriate 4th Rd "MedRS" type guy unless they see someone they feel can compete with Snyder and make him and his salary expendable.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The 49ers had this same problem last year. They made 11 draft selections:

Starter:
Eric Reid

Made 53:
Vance McDonald
Corey Lemonier
Quinton Patton
Nick Moody

Medical Redshirt:
Tank Carradine
Marcus Lattimore
Quinton Dial

Did not make team (all 7th round picks):
BJ Daniels
Carter Bykowsi
Marcus Cooper

P.S. I hope I got this right. I think Carter might be on the practice squad.
Had more impact departures tho last year. Alex Smith. Delanie Walker. Sopoaga. RJF. Goldson. This year? swapped Whitner n Bethea. Lost Carlos n T.Brown... that's pretty much it.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
What I take from this is that we really don't want 7th round picks. In the end, they will just go to other teams since we can't fit them on the 53. Hopefully this year we can consolidate our picks into fewer high round picks, or picks next year.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
Just wondering how many of the 11 picks we have might actually have a chance... What positions could be targeted? For instance, a QB in the first 3 rounds seems HIGHLY unlikely to me cuz the 9ers usually carry only 2 QBs and those guys are obviously gonna be Kaep n Gabbert (2m guaranteed) so if we add a QB will likely be a PS guy so maybe a 5th- 7th rounder at best but possibly an UDFA.

So what roster spots u guys think and how many? Any "medical red-shirt" type prospects that won't impact the 53 kinda like Carradine n Lattimore last year?

Mahalo! !!

The question should be how many of the draft picks that make the team will actually play and make an impact.
None.

Baalke will be fired with the final roster cut.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
The question should be how many of the draft picks that make the team will actually play and make an impact.

That's a separate question. And when u say "make an impact" then u have to qualify what u mean by "impact". Colin made an impact on the team, but not his rookie year so how do u count that?

The other thing is that to a certain degree a 3rd round pick's "impact" is not always determined by whether or not the pick was a good pick. A 3rd round CB might not see the field year 1 if everyone stays healthy and e.wright plays to his potential. If e.wright does not and there are injuries and he is forced into action and plays pretty well, then of course that's an "impact" but that has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER OR NOT IT WAS A GOOD PICK. That's why I asked the question I asked.

I think fryet gets my meaning. I also see them looking for an opportunity to say trade this year's 3rd for a 2nd in 2015 or something like that.
[ Edited by 9erHIGH on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM ]
The 49ers used our 7th rounds picks poorly last year. We should only draft players who if they play in preseason as well as expected have a roster spot available to them. A bust is a bust in any round and can happen with any pick. There is also always a chance a UDFA surprises and takes the spot but that can happen with any pick as well and you still end up with a good player.

I hope we use our late picks wiser this year. Draft players we still have a spot open for or pup list guys like Spencer Long or Trey Millard or Aaron Colvin or trade the picks for 2015 picks a round earlier.

Roster spots: 2 WR, 2 CB, 1 S, 1 C/G, 1 ILB, 1 PR/KR

There is also potential for:
1 top quality DL, we have plenty of depth
1 potential 3rd TE upgrade or FB/HB type
1 top quality OLB ,depth now and potential successor to Ahmad Brooks in 2-4 years

We need to trade up and trade down for next year, get rid of some picks. I would like us to take 7 solid players, maybe 1 or 2 'redshirts' like Easley or Colvin.
Peter Puma says

Originally posted by fryet:
What I take from this is that we really don't want 7th round picks. In the end, they will just go to other teams since we can't fit them on the 53. Hopefully this year we can consolidate our picks into fewer high round picks, or picks next year.

You might be able to trade all 3 of the 7th round picks for a late 6th round pick. The 6th round pick isn't likely to make the roster either. The 49ers knew last year that their 7th round picks were unlikely to amount to anything but they still took flyers on guys. 3 lottery tickets are better than one imo. On the other hand, if we like a FB who is around in the 7th who may be able to make the roster, I could see us trade all 3 picks to move up and make sure we get our guy (other teams drafting a riskier position may want more lottery tickets).
Yeah I agree about 6th n 7th rounders SOMETIMES (not always) kinda being "lottery tickets" When u have a roster like the 9ers. U do ur homework on a guy with some potential but with some questions. Bring him into camp. See how he competes. See how he takes coaching. See how his instincts translate to the NFL. Usually the reasons they last that long manifest themselves. .. but every once in awhile...
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 49ers used our 7th rounds picks poorly last year. We should only draft players who if they play in preseason as well as expected have a roster spot available to them. A bust is a bust in any round and can happen with any pick. There is also always a chance a UDFA surprises and takes the spot but that can happen with any pick as well and you still end up with a good player.

I hope we use our late picks wiser this year. Draft players we still have a spot open for or pup list guys like Spencer Long or Trey Millard or Aaron Colvin or trade the picks for 2015 picks a round earlier.

Roster spots: 2 WR, 2 CB, 1 S, 1 C/G, 1 ILB, 1 PR/KR

There is also potential for:
1 top quality DL, we have plenty of depth
1 potential 3rd TE upgrade or FB/HB type
1 top quality OLB ,depth now and potential successor to Ahmad Brooks in 2-4 years

I agree. What is the point of having 7th round picks if they have no chance to make the roster no matter how well they play?
Share 49ersWebzone