LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

2014 3-4 DE Prospects???

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Kelce Quarles is the 3-4 defensive end that I want us to draft.

i wouldn't think about him until the 5th rd. i just don't see him winning against nfl o-linemen all that often.
Kelce Quarles is a stud. But would he supplant TJE?
Bruce Gaston, Purdue. 7TH-UDFA. Was considered a mid-round pick til this season when Purdue's football team went into the toilet and the Defensive staff didn't know how to utilize the guys they had. Has experience as a DT and as a 3-4 DE. Good explosiveness off the snap. On the small side, but has potential and if anyone can unearth that potential it'd be Tomsula.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
Kelce Quarles is the 3-4 defensive end that I want us to draft.

i wouldn't think about him until the 5th rd. i just don't see him winning against nfl o-linemen all that often.

Quarles was named first team All American by Sporting News.

He was named first team ALL SEC by Associated Press and SEC coaches.

I understand that SEC football is not the NFL, but I do think that he could win quite often in the NFL.

He was named first team ALL SEC by Associated Press and SEC coaches.

I understand that SEC football is not the NFL, but I do think that he could win quite often in the NFL.

He won't have Clowney occupying 3 blockers to free him up next year. I don't think he should have been first team all-SEC or first team all-American but he can thank Clowney for both, because without him, Quarles doesn't put up the stats to be considered for either and he's not impressive enough on tape to convince people without the stats.

I don't think Quarles will fall all the way to the 4th but I also don't think the 49ers are interested in him in the third because he's not athletic enough for a 3-4 DE (23 1/2" vertical) or big enough for a NT.

From nfl.com on his weaknesses:
Gets upright off the snap. Lets his pads rise and gets controlled or washed. Chewed up by double teams. Does not generate powerful hand violence. Could stand to get in better shape and improve his stamina. Production was inflated -- had plays flushed to him, benefiting from attention paid to Jadeveon Clowney.
On second thought, Quarles probably should be on the all-SEC team but definitely not an all-American. I didn't realize it was such a down year for DT's in the SEC, but the top 7 DT's played in other conferences or were injured (Easley).
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:52 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Every player in the draft has flaws or blemishes. He played opposite of Clowney and that increased his opportunities, but Quarles made the plays. He took advantage of those opportunities.

That NFL information is only on his weaknesses. Here are his strengths from the same site.

Strengths

Good size and initial quickness. Long arms and strong upper body -- can press and extend to create operating space. Flashes the ability to walk guards back. Is fairly light on his feet and shows nice closing burst to the quarterback. Good pursuit effort when his battery is charged. Heavy tackler. Excellent sack production, particularly for an interior defender -- 9.5 sacks ranked second nationally among defensive tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kelcy-quarles?id=2543648

Here is an evaluation on him from CBS.

STRENGTHS:

Boasting long-arms, a thick frame and a sudden first step, Quarles certainly looks the part of an early round NFL draft pick. Often the first of South Carolina's talented defensive line off the ball, Quarles consistently splits gaps, showing both the burst to surprise would-be blockers and the power to crash through late attempts by his opponents to latch on to him.

When his quickness is contained, Quarles shows impressive core strength to bull rush opponents deep into the backfield, as well as an effective over-arm swim move to gain freedom. An active defender, Quarles hustles laterally and downfield in pursuit and is willing to leave his feet to make the diving, heavy hit on ballcarriers.
Quarles plays low, showing good power and technique to absorb double-teams, making him a potential fit as a nose guard as well as a traditional three-technique defensive tackle. May just be scratching the surface of his potential.

WEAKNESSES:

Capable of threatening on his own, but many of Quarles' biggest plays in 2013 came while opponents dedicated extra blockers to stopping teammate Jadeveon Clowney. Still developing his awareness - opponents can use his aggression against him to run draws around him or throw screens over the top.

Doesn't get his hands in the passing lanes often enough, considering how frequently he's near the quarterback. Used as part of a rotation and may tire easily as he carries extra weight around the middle.

COMPARES TO: Lamarr Houston: Quick, strong and tenacious, Quarles projects equally well inside as a 4-3 defensive tackle or outside as a five-technique defensive end.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737112/kelcy-quarles

I think he would be a solid pick-up in the third round.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Quarles is going to be a winner in this league, and the 49ers would be dumb not to draft him. And here's why he has Trent Baalke written all over him.

1. Quick twitch to bust through gaps and catch offensive lineman off-guard. Look what Justin Smith and Ray McDonald do each down.

2. Frame. Dude has long arms and at 6-4 320+LB, he fits the perfect NT/DE tweener in our 3-4 defense.

3. When your biggest weakness is being overly aggressive and getting into the passing lanes - not every defender can be JJ Watt mind you - these are coachable areas to fix. And if anyone can do it, it's Jim Tomsula. I will say that he needs to get stronger to effectively bull rush and take on two linemen.

I see Quarles as our future starting Nose Tackle in 2015, but someone that can rotate in, learn the ropes at DE and NT, and develop their body to become that starting tackle.

Remember, Justin Smith may retire after this year and Glen Dorsey is a free agent.

Carradine-Quarles-McDonald could keep our defense elite in the front seven for a few more years.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

He was named first team ALL SEC by Associated Press and SEC coaches. e gets==

there's a point when average talent with very high motor hits a wall, and it usually happens when he gets to the nfl. to me, this the case with quarles. that's my opinion. we'll see what happens.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:

He was named first team ALL SEC by Associated Press and SEC coaches. e gets==

there's a point when average talent with very high motor hits a wall, and it usually happens when he gets to the nfl. to me, this the case with quarles. that's my opinion. we'll see what happens.

Well, if he goes to another team, I hope to hell that you are right.

If we draft him, I hope to further down than hell that you are wrong.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Quarles is going to be a winner in this league, and the 49ers would be dumb not to draft him. And here's why he has Trent Baalke written all over him.

1. Quick twitch to bust through gaps and catch offensive lineman off-guard. Look what Justin Smith and Ray McDonald do each down.

2. Frame. Dude has long arms and at 6-4 320+LB, he fits the perfect NT/DE tweener in our 3-4 defense.

3. When your biggest weakness is being overly aggressive and getting into the passing lanes - not every defender can be JJ Watt mind you - these are coachable areas to fix. And if anyone can do it, it's Jim Tomsula. I will say that he needs to get stronger to effectively bull rush and take on two linemen.

Are you thinking of another player?

1. He's a reasonable athlete for a DT, but this is a thread about 3-4 DE's. For a 3-4 DE, Quarles is a terrible athlete. 23 1/2" vertical is terrible.

2. Quarles weighed in at 297 at the combine not 320+. Maybe he can put on weight but he may lose what little explosiveness he has. His arms are 33 1/4" which are not that long at DE but pretty good for DT.

3. His biggest weakness as a 3-4 DE would be his athleticism which is not coachable. At NT, it would be his strength. If he develops into an every down player his stamina may be another issue.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Stephon Tuitt is here and has a walking boot on. Underwent a procedure to correct the stress fracture in his left foot last week.

https://twitter.com/BGI_AndrewOwens/statuses/446673576632909824

Tuitt is going to slip to the mid to late second round at this rate.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Stephon Tuitt is here and has a walking boot on. Underwent a procedure to correct the stress fracture in his left foot last week.

Well if that happens ( and that is a big if ) that would be crazy.

1. Verrett / Fuller
2. Matthews / Moncrief
3. Tuitt

I'm a fan of Ealy. Don't think he's gonna be there for us though.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Hopper:

Well if that happens ( and that is a big if ) that would be crazy.

1. Verrett / Fuller
2. Matthews / Moncrief
3. Tuitt

That would be awesome, but I worry about big guys and stress fractures in their feet
Share 49ersWebzone