There are 185 users in the forums

2014 3-4 DE Prospects???

There has been a lot of discussion about Hageman and Tuitt. Has anyone generated a DE ranking for players that'd fit for the Niners scheme?

Assuming that these two are 1a and 1b. How does the rest of the list stack up?
Some names for discussion

Stephen Tuitt
Rashede Hageman
Kelce Quarles
Deandre Coleman
Karen Martin (4-3 DE?)
Brent Urban
Tyler Hart
Idk enough to rank them but more possibilities are Stinson and Pagan from Bama, Mauro and Gardner from Stanford, Easley of course, and I love Will Clarke but not sure if he could put on more weight for that role or if using him in that capacity would be a waste of his talents. He goes about 6'6 270+.
Originally posted by Butter:
Some names for discussion

Stephen Tuitt
Rashede Hageman
Kelce Quarles
Deandre Coleman
Karen Martin (4-3 DE?)
Brent Urban
Tyler Hart

Nice list, to that I'd like to add:

Ed Stinson-Alabama

Jeoffrey Pagan-Alabama

Kony Ealy-Missouri

William Clarke-West Virginia

Garrison Smith-Georgia

Shamar Stephen-U Conn

Jay Bromley-Syracuse

Khaleb Ramsey-Boston College

Ben Gardner-Stanford
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Idk enough to rank them but more possibilities are Stinson and Pagan from Bama, Mauro and Gardner from Stanford, Easley of course, and I love Will Clarke but not sure if he could put on more weight for that role or if using him in that capacity would be a waste of his talents. He goes about 6'6 270+.

I do like Clarke and think he could get to around 280, 285.....making him a good fit in this defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I do like Clarke and think he could get to around 280, 285.....making him a good fit in this defense.

Nice. I know he's got the long arms so there's one box checked.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Forgot Clark. I'm intrigued with drafting a 3-4 DE early. It seems like there is a big drop from those top two, but logic seems to suggest that grabbing a developmental DE makes more sense. If they can grab a prospect with a high ceiling that could beat out a player like Dobbs without threatening Mac, that might be the way to go.
My list would be:
Stephon Tuitt - my #1 3-4 DE by far.
Kony Ealy - he can play DE in a 3-4 if he puts on weight. Did not test as well as expected at the combine, but he's a pretty good athlete with flexibility and length.
Rashede Hageman - he's got more experience playing DT. Great strength but not the same athlete as Tuitt and much older.
Scott Chrichton - consensus round 2 guy with the size of a 3-4 DE. There is nothing particularly great about him though - 6'3 274 with 32 3/4" arms, good but not great athlete for his size and lacks flexibility and not a great bender. I'm not really sure why he is a consensus 2nd round pick to be honest.
Dom Easley - more of a 4-3 DT IMO - not great height/length, but would be a threat inside on passing downs.
Kelcy Quarles - may not have the athleticism to play DE - decent 40 but terrible vertical which isn't a good sign for explosiveness.
Ego Ferguson - moves pretty well for a big guy at 309 pounds, arms are only 32 1/2" though.
Will Clarke - great athlete and good length at 6'4 271 (4.77 40, 34 5/8" arms). Could be a developmental pick in the 3rd/4th although we have a lot of those.
Aaron Lynch - he's 249 now but was closer to Clowney's size as a freshman so I imagine he can gain the weight back. He was better at a higher weight with a hand in the ground and has good length.
Brent Urban
Taylor Hart
Ben Gardner
Ed Stinson

I think the 49ers would be looking at a guy with at least average length (33" or above). All the guys but one are over 265 pounds and I included Lynch because I saw him as a 3-4 DE prospect as a freshman before he transferred and cut weight.
My Dominique Easley man-crush is no secret, but Kareem Martin really seems like a Baalke kind of pick. High ceiling, huge arms (35.5 inches). He'd be a great developmental project like Tank was last year IMO. But it obviously depends on how long he lasts in order to justify the project or not.
Double post
[ Edited by Butter on Mar 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM ]

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
My Dominique Easley man-crush is no secret, but Kareem Martin really seems like a Baalke kind of pick. High ceiling, huge arms (35.5 inches). He'd be a great developmental project like Tank was last year IMO. But it obviously depends on how long he lasts in order to justify the project or not.

Martins measurables are solid, but I think he'd be more of a classic 4-3 DE.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

I haven't seen Martin in any mocks on here, but I think you may be right. He was more productive than Tank was in the same conference at a younger age. He's also at least as good of an athlete with a little more length. Kareem Martin would need to bulk up a lot because he's only 272 pounds at 6'6 and looks a little thin on tape for a 3-4 DE and only put up 22 reps on the bench (I know his arm length reduces this but Hageman and Tuitt put up over 30 with long arms. His lack of strength would probably keep him on the bench for a year but that wouldn't be the end of the world with Carradine rotating in. I still like the idea of a DE who can rotate inside to replace Justin Smith but Martin does look like a beast.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM ]
Keep an eye on Jay Bromley out of Syracuse (6'3" 306) and Khyri Thornton out of Southern Mississippi (6'2.5" 304) as intriguing late round/UDFA targets.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Kelce Quarles is the 3-4 defensive end that I want us to draft.
Originally posted by buck:
Kelce Quarles is the 3-4 defensive end that I want us to draft.

This is the guy I was thinking of when I made this thread.
Share 49ersWebzone