LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Eon Blue Mockalypse.

30: Jason Verrett CB TCU 5'10 189lbs - This is the best CB in the draft. His hips move like liquid, and he has powerful burst when he's changing direction. He's undersized so covering the #1 may be out of the question unless we're playing Seattle/Rams twice a year, and then he's shutting down Harvin/Austin. He will be easier to get snaps because we will be grooming him for nickel, and that spot is essentially a question mark.

Trade 61 and 77 for the Raiders 36: Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU 5'11 200lbs - Soft hands, refined route running, and 4.4 speed sounds good to me. Finally a guy a that can stretch the field on the edge and also find holes in the zone.

Trade our 56 for the Browns 83 and a 2nd round pick in the 2015 draft: Cyril Richardson T/G/C Baylor 6'4 335 - Richardson has problems in pass protection. He gets too tall and loses leverage. He also forgets to keep moving his feet. I would give him snaps at C/G. Moving him to the interior of the line makes his pass protection responsibilities easier. Richarson at center could pull like a guard, get 3 yards of push on the double team, shed the block and move to the LB level and push him back a couple of yards. This is a pick that will build on the dominance of this oline for years to come.

94: Dominque Easly DE Florida - Why not, right? We supposedly need more defensive linemen, and Easley is a gap buster. DE like Easley are very valuable in the 3-4 because they have the strength to defend the run against the stout guards and the explosiveness/short-area speed to make plays in the backfield. Plus if 1/3 of our medical red shirts actually contribute I'll consider the strategy a success therefore justifying this pick.

125: Antone Exum SS/CB V Tech 6'0 228lbs - After re-watching the combine I realized if you scouted Exum as safety he's a top 3 prospect. 32 inch arms, thick upper body, and good footwork compared to the other safeties. He has a faster 10 yard split then Clinton-Dix, Pryor, and Bucannon. He would have a top 5 40 time if considered a SS. He's easily has the most developed body of any DB. His physique will make him a punishing SS that can also move into the box and use his footwork/strength to man up the TE.

4th round comp: Phillip Gaines CB Rice 6'1 185 - Long arms with 4.38 speed which he will lose some of when he bulks up. He's the type of guy that needs a year to get stronger and learn the position. I feel with the way the CB position has turned out we can afford this.
5th round pick: Isiah Crowell RB 5'11 233lbs -

A punishing power runner with enough agility to make yards on the outside. A rotations of Crowell and Lattimore would keep the power the running spirit alive after Gore hangs them up, and for all we know one of them could rise to the challenge of a #1 back. This kid has had a rough college career and he hasn't reached his potential. The S&C program and running behind this Oline could tap that potential.

7th round: Colt Lyerla TE 6'4 255 - Character issue but I have no problem using a flyer on him. He would be the perfect Joker TE.

7th round: CJ Barnett S Louisville 6-1 202lbs
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM ]
Good mock. Just don't like the Colt pick. Really like you picked Exum as a future Safety. Richardson is very meh to me. Don't mind it strictly cause he has potential to be very good, just needs coaching.
Love the first two picks.
Hate the Richardson pick and even worse because you are trading up to get him. He played at OG in the Senior Bowl and got worked all week. We could do much better than trading up to get him. I would rather take Spencer Long OG in the fifth or later who has just as much potential but is coming off of an injury. Still hate Lyerla, too. His talent isn't good enough to offset his character issues.

Everything else was solid.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Hate the Richardson pick and even worse because you are trading up to get him. He played at OG in the Senior Bowl and got worked all week. We could do much better than trading up to get him. I would rather take Spencer Long OG in the fifth or later who has just as much potential but is coming off of an injury. Still hate Lyerla, too. His talent isn't good enough to offset his character issues.

Everything else was solid.

Someones going to draft Lyerla, and his talent does offset his character issues. It's a 7th round pick so the risk is essentially none. It's not like anybody in 7th round is even going to crack this stacked roster. You can stamp your foot all you want if I'm a coach I would rather be the guy that took the chance. Truth be told talent wins championships not principles. Also this coaching staff/FO has experience with substance abuse and southern cal is great place for recovering addicts so it might actually be a good fit. We need a TE with Lyerlas skill set. In fact any team would need a TE with his skill set. Ultimately we've had 8 picks in the 7th round since 2010 and 2 of them are still on the roster. Miller and Bykowski. So it's not like we're hitting in the 7th anyway. I like my chances here. If he wants to return to the drug life it's his loss.

I didn't trade up for Richardson. I traded out of the 2nd for the Browns 3rd and 2015 2nd. They got to move back into the 2nd and grab one of the 2nd tier WR. If they're trying to load their roster this would be the draft. Senior Bowl isn't the end all be all either, and the practices actually make the DL look really good and the poor pass protectors look really bad. I clearly stated he needed to work on his technique. He's a dominant run blocker who could move to center where pass blocking would be at a minimum. He would also be another moving piece with his ability to play G and T. I feel mid 3rd is a good position for him, and I'm confidant the coaching staff could tap his potential. He may be raw but the potential is obvious when you watch his tape.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM ]
Why trade two picks for Beckham...when you could arguably get Moncrief? I get Beckham has a fine return game...just not sure that's worth two picks. Baalke could get Herron later in the draft to fulfill that role. I do like the rest of your picks, though.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Why trade two picks for Beckham...when you could arguably get Moncrief? I get Beckham has a fine return game...just not sure that's worth two picks. Baalke could get Herron later in the draft to fulfill that role. I do like the rest of your picks, though.

I think it is. He's pro ready so in my mind I'm trading up to draft a future starter which is what any 1st/early 2nd round pick should accomplish. I'm not pegging him in at slot either. I think he has the tools to be a great #2. I would be fine with Moncrief though. I think he had a great combine and if he's available late 2nd then that would be a good pick. I prefer Beckham and he wont be available at 56.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

I think it is. He's pro ready so in my mind I'm trading up to draft a future starter which is what any 1st/early 2nd round pick should accomplish. I'm not pegging him in at slot either. I think he has the tools to be a great #2. I would be fine with Moncrief though. I think he had a great combine and if he's available late 2nd then that would be a good pick. I prefer Beckham and he wont be available at 56.

I like Beckham a lot. And based on his skillset we know he can be a returner as well as being a future starter. I supoose the issue that people have is trading an extra pick away for one receiver when you can likely draft two future starters or at worse a starter and a #3 with both picks.
Like the Verrett pick
I don't think there's any way Beckham lasts 'til 36. In fact, I think he's gone before 30.

Like Verrett and Beckham. I don't think the Browns would give up that much for pick 56 (their pick next season is likely to be much higher than 56). I also don't like Easley as a fit in a 3-4 and think his length would hurt him in run defense and as a pass rusher on the outside. Very explosive player who I think could be very good but I think he will be a very good 4-3 DT for another team. I think another team that uses a 4-3 will grade him as a second rounder while we may not be willing to give up that much as a sub package player. I would rather spend a higher pick on a guy who can play 3-4 DE and move inside on sub packages even if if means missing out on Beckham.

Tuitt, Moncrief, and a corner like Verrett, Fuller, or Roby as the first 3 picks would be a little better IMO, but I would be happy with this too.
Interesting. I would like to get another young wide receiver in the draft. Maybe a Moncrief or Landry late 2nd or early 3rd round. With Boldin only being around for a couple of years and Crabtree not a certainty to resign it would be good to develop a couple of young recievers. They usually take a year or 2 to develop. We could also use the depth. 2 years in a row we have lost 2 receivers to injury.
Share 49ersWebzone