LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

St. Paddy's Day Mock Draft

1(30): trade 2(62) and 7 for Cowboy's 16: WR Marqise Lee (Will be a star in the NFL. Rare talent being overshadowed by Watkins. Way more polished and legit than Mike Evans. Doesn't just step in the #3 spot as a situational speed WR or return man, but represents a true replacement for Crabtree and Boldin down the line.

2(56): trade 3(77) for: 34: CB Jason Verrett (Steps right into Nickel CB. Stock may slip a little b/c of surgery).

2(62): traded
3(77): traded

3(94): DT Dominique Easley (Talented situational pass rusher. Slips because of serious injury concerns. A great value pick here. Alternative pick: S Craig Loston. Develops behind Bethea and Reid for a year. Young interchangeable safeties next year).

3/4(comp): WR Bruce Ellington or Robert Herron (Change-of-pace/speed WR. Prefer Ellington as the better all around WR. Despite his size, he has toughness and is more polished. Herron is the true speed WR though).

4: CB Pierre Desir or Phillip Gaines (Baalke finally gets his dreamy-tall CB. Both are a little raw and will likely require a year plus to develop. But with Brock/Culliver/Verrett starting, we can afford to develop them, and they both have giant upside).

5: ILB Lamin Barrow (Nice ILB prospect, and immediate special teams contributor).

6: traded for Gabbert

7: TE Colt Lyerla (Real star power if he can get his head on straight. Love Vernon, but he's 30, and McDonald did not look much better than Celek last year. If he turns out to be Titus Young, it doesn't hurt too bad to cut a 7th round draft pick).

7: traded

7: QB Connor Shaw (Undersized, and a bit injury prone. But there is no denying his talent and ridiculous td/int ratio. We already know Gabbert is the future, but just in case...).
I like this draft...love Lee and Ellington. Looks like several future starters on this list! Interesting to see how Lyerla turns out. Def. boom or bust potential, but he looked like a man at Oregon before he went crazy.
Like everyone except for Lyerla. Would rather get OG Spencer Long or FB Trey Millard instead. Other than that, great mock.
Nice mock. I am not sold on Easley. Just don't know if he can stay healthy but it's not a terrible gamble.
Everybody would be beneficial except Shaw. I got a feeling a QB will be taken much sooner than the 7th round. Kap's leash is getting shorter and shorter, if he doesn't start to get better after his first read, other QB's will get a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if a QB is taken as high as the 2nd round.
Why trade up for Marquis Lee??? He's more polished? Not more polished than a Beckham Jr or Cooks. He's very fragile too. He could be the typical USC WR. Fast, runs great routes just can't carry it over into the NFL.
I like Varrett but his size worries me. check out Beckahm jr taking it too him.
I like Conner Shaw there. He could fit nicely with our staff and system. But if see us taking maybe a Fales earlier
That's burning a lot a draft capitol in a deep draft. I think it's a good year to "let the draft come to us" and make smaller moves up or down the board.
Nice, well thought out draft. I love the trades. This is a very realistic scenario. A few nit-picks:

1. Lee and Ellington are both talented WR and I would love to have either of them, but they both seem to be the anti-Baalke guys. Undersized with limited blocking ability. I can see one of them coming here, but not both.

2. Do you think Easley fits our scheme? I'm honestly curious. He seems better suited for a 4-3 penetrating DT position, but I might be wrong.

3. Love Desir or Gaines.

4. I don't see us going for Lyerla. We have a great locker room, but it stays that way by being smart about your risks. Right now Aldon is dealing with his issues, Brooks had a bad offseason last year, Martin is having an etch-a-sketch year, and lesser guys like Wright and Cook have pasts as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the leadership we have, I just don't want to jeopardize it by bringing in too many rotten apples.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Why trade up for Marquis Lee??? He's more polished? Not more polished than a Beckham Jr or Cooks. He's very fragile too. He could be the typical USC WR. Fast, runs great routes just can't carry it over into the NFL.
I like Varrett but his size worries me. check out Beckahm jr taking it too him.
I like Conner Shaw there. He could fit nicely with our staff and system. But if see us taking maybe a Fales earlier

I agree im afraid of USC WRS..great in college but a bust in the NFL..i like verrett but that's the thing he is only a nickel back bc of his size..atleast I think so..i really like the lyerla pick..it can possibly be the biggest steal..
Sorry not a fan of Lee or any USC receiver, always overrated by you California guys. The real receiver talent is coming out of the SEC and Clemson. Lyerla is a total nutcase as well. Other than that, it's not bad.

Originally posted by Jbniner:

1(30): trade 2(62) and 7 for Cowboy's 16: WR Marqise Lee (Will be a star in the NFL. Rare talent being overshadowed by Watkins. Way more polished and legit than Mike Evans. Doesn't just step in the #3 spot as a situational speed WR or return man, but represents a true replacement for Crabtree and Boldin down the line.

2(56): trade 3(77) for: 34: CB Jason Verrett (Steps right into Nickel CB. Stock may slip a little b/c of surgery).

2(62): traded
3(77): traded

3(94): DT Dominique Easley (Talented situational pass rusher. Slips because of serious injury concerns. A great value pick here. Alternative pick: S Craig Loston. Develops behind Bethea and Reid for a year. Young interchangeable safeties next year).

3/4(comp): WR Bruce Ellington or Robert Herron (Change-of-pace/speed WR. Prefer Ellington as the better all around WR. Despite his size, he has toughness and is more polished. Herron is the true speed WR though).

4: CB Pierre Desir or Phillip Gaines (Baalke finally gets his dreamy-tall CB. Both are a little raw and will likely require a year plus to develop. But with Brock/Culliver/Verrett starting, we can afford to develop them, and they both have giant upside).

5: ILB Lamin Barrow (Nice ILB prospect, and immediate special teams contributor).

6: traded for Gabbert

7: TE Colt Lyerla (Real star power if he can get his head on straight. Love Vernon, but he's 30, and McDonald did not look much better than Celek last year. If he turns out to be Titus Young, it doesn't hurt too bad to cut a 7th round draft pick).

7: traded

7: QB Connor Shaw (Undersized, and a bit injury prone. But there is no denying his talent and ridiculous td/int ratio. We already know Gabbert is the future, but just in case...).

I would flip Lee and verrett,Verrett #1 and instead of Lee(injury-prone) I would get either Moncrief or Matthews, you are right on with this draft,9ers are going to have to trade some of these picks,not enough room on the team.
Nice mock with trades
Best mock I've seen on here out of all those posted recently. Love the picks and how you double up on our top 2 needs and get Easly. I couldn't have done it better myself. I can't agree more about Lee a true superstar WR.
Love the Connor Shaw pick. Wonder if the Niners will keep 3 QBs on the roster this season.
I would be happy with that probably draft a SS though, looks real not drafting 3 WRs within the first 3 rounds and evenly speaded
Share 49ersWebzone