LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Garlicboy's Last Mock- 2 possibilities w/depth chart listed below

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Maiocco said time on the 53 counts, so Carradine's season counted, Lattimore's did not.

If that's true we really blew it by activating Carradine at all last year when we had practice time before he had to come off the PUP list to see that his knee was still not right. I mean he was only on the active roster for a week or two before we decided to shut him down for the rest of the season right?

That being said, I hadn't even heard of this rule. I thought a contract year was a contract year regardless of whether he was on the active roster or not...
Maiocco said time on the 53 counts, so Carradine's season counted, Lattimore's did not.

Darn, that sucks! Big mistake!

IHypothetically, if Tank turns out to be a stud, That's basically an extra $4-8 million we'd have to spend. Which in essence could have been a 1-2 year rental of a stud veteran player like Anquan Boldin (just as an example) in the future.
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Mar 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I can see the 49ers trading down and gaining future picks. But your mock.

Wow, Really?

You have us drafting 1 ILB plus 2 WR's and a CB
Or 1 ILB plus 2 CB's and a WR

That's 4 players with all our picks in a very deep draft for this year plus 5 guys for the pup list,

I'll pass. I think we can do better.

I guess you fail to see that the PUP list can be used as extra roster spots, however it must be filled with players recovering from injury.
With the depth on this team, your basically cutting talent and/or wasting draft picks. Examples:

7th: BJ Daniels a Seahawk
7th: Marcus Cooper a Chief

Practice Squad: S Michael Thomas, was AFC player of the week his first week with the Dolphins

Didn't even clear waivers:
TE/HB: Marquies Gray a Jaguar

What amazing talent would 2 rookie WR's have to beat out to make the team?
Likewise 2 rookie CB's?
Neither Snyder nor Looney have a lot of experience at Center or are natural Centers. If the coaches are happy with them as Kilgore's back ups fine but with Goodwin we had Kilgore who was a back up center 1st and foremost and they may want the same in his back up as well as a player who may develop in to a starter like a Marcus Martin.
I think we could use a talented safety drafted around the 3rd round to back up our starters. If we lose Reid in the 1st game for the season and you think our back ups are better than any rookies in the draft that would be available beyond round 1 then fine but I don't. I also don't see anyone I project as a starter in a couple of seasons. I would like to start developing Bethea's successor this year.
You want to draft an ILB and I see that as a real possibility but we have Willis, Wilhoite, Moody, Fleming who was on IR who basically has been on the pup list which you love for 2 years, plus Skuta who has ILB experience. He would need to fight to make the team but there is a spot open.
We could use a return man
Yes it took a while to develop Walker unlike Trey Millard who will be named NFL player of the week in game 1 next season right? All rookies are learning on the job, even the great ones, If the 49ers see one they think is ready to contribute now they may draft him this year rather than a pup list guy for next season.
As for OLB I didn't know Ahmad Brooks had a minimum of 5 seasons left in him for the niners. If a player they really like can be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round and can come in and provide depth for 2-3 years and then become a starter what is the detriment?

As for not wasting picks, when have I ever suggested wasting picks? if you do not see a roster spot open for a draftee I personally wouldn't draft the player. I hated the way we used our 7th round picks last year. In my mock I drafted pup list guys in the 7th round.

And yes I do see value in drafting players for the pup list. As I said we would be in a position to add 3-4 players on the pup list drafted plus more if we can sign some UDFA's. What: if anyone doesn't believe we should add at least 5 drafted players for the pup list they are just stupid? Really? Drafting 3-4 players for the pup list just isn't good enough for you, it's 5 or bust?

damn that sucks! I'm no officially mad we put Tank on the 53 WTF!!!!
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

If that's true we really blew it by activating Carradine at all last year when we had practice time before he had to come off the PUP list to see that his knee was still not right. I mean he was only on the active roster for a week or two before we decided to shut him down for the rest of the season right?

That being said, I hadn't even heard of this rule. I thought a contract year was a contract year regardless of whether he was on the active roster or not...

actually after thinking about it, I'm not sure it is right. How could a contract year not b a contract year like you said. Tank signed a contract after being drafted, he got paid and when he signed this contract it was for 4 years so it must run out in 4 years right? Unless NFL contracts have some sorta provision in them that they extend by a year if you are on IR or something but honestly I doubt it, AB would have told us that by now right?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

I don't get it either. A 4 year contract is a 4 year contract. When it's up it's up. Maybe it means they are restriced FA's instead of FA's. I don't know. Does anyone know the NFL rule on this?
It's a provision that I believe is in place to make contract negotiation for injured players go more easily. If he's never healthy enough to be on the roster, then the year won't count, so the team can protect its investment. Niners screwed up big putting tank on the 53, IMO. No real choice with Dial, I guess. Too many hurt DL at the time, and he actually played.
Share 49ersWebzone