Draft Needs -
#1: Wide Receiver with Special Teams skills
- Age (Boldin), Contract (Crabtree), and Unproven Depth (Patton, Baldwin) are key drivers for this need.
- Health (Culliver), Departures (Brown, Rogers), and Unproven Depth (Morris, Cook) are the reasons we find more competition for the #2 CB spot.
#3: Defensive Line
- Age (Smith), Contract (Dorsey), and Health (Carradine, Dial, and McDonald) are the drivers.
#4: Inside Linebacker
- Injury (Bowman), Health (Willis), and Unproven Depth (Moody) are the reasons that we should consider this position a higher priority than the below items. Before you dismiss this need, remember that after this guy's rookie deal expires, Willis will be 33 years old.
- Contracts (Spillman, Ventrone, Dahl) are the reason. Upgrade Dahl.
#6: Interior Offensive Line
- Inexperience (Kilgore, Looney), Contract (Iupati), and Cost (Snyder). A OG/C type would displace Snyder on the roster - most likely in 2015.
Mock Draft -
Trade: 49ers trade 1st and 3rd for Packers 1st round pick. Packers need a TE, and can trade back and still select a blue chip player.
R1: Odell Beckham Jr - WR/KR - LSU (via Packers)
*Great athlete, strong route runner, good speed, and comes from a proven program. Immediate contributor.
R2: Jaylen Watkins - CB - Florida (via Chiefs)
*Experienced in press and off-man coverages, Watkins projects nicely as a #3 CB and special teams contributor in his first year. 4.4 speed, nearly 6 feet tall, and impressive strength for a slim frame. Physical tackler. Replaces Brown nicely.
R2: Dri Archer - WR/RB/KR - Kent State
*We have never had a player of Archer's speed and versatility in the Jim Harbaugh era of 49er football. You can create a lot of mismatches and havoc by putting Archer on the field with Davis, Crabtree, Beckham, and Boldin.
R3: Kelcy Quarles - NT/DE - South Carolina (via Titans)
*3-4 DL that can play the 5 technique or plug him at the NT spot. 6-4, improving strength, but impressive speed at 320+ LBs. He could replace Dorsey in 2015. (via Titans)
R4: Victor Hampton - CB/S - South Carolina
*Another Gamecock selected here, Hampton provides secondary flexibility as primary backup to SS and FS, and can also play some CB. He'd be an immediate contributor to ST units, and an upgrade to Craig Dahl.
R4: Jordan Tripp - ILB - Montana (comp)
*Small school prospect, but possesses the skills we look for as a ILB - good recognition, plays sideline to sideline, blue collar lunch pail defender, and strives for perfection. Tripp will also contribute on special teams.
R5: Corey Linsley - C/OG - Ohio State
*With the addition of Martin, grooming of Looney, and extension of Kilgore, I think we find a younger and cheaper OL backup to Adam Snyder. Linsley is a strong mauler that has position flexibility.
R7: Colton Underwood - DE/OLB - Illinois State (via Colts)
*Another small school prospect, Underwood will most likely be a PS candidate but a developmental prospect for the 2015 season.
R7: Trey Millard - FB/RB/TE - Oklahoma (via Saints)
*NFI prospect that may potentially replace Bruce Miller in 2015.
R7: Tracy Moore - WR - Oklahoma State
*PS player that competes with Baldwin for a roster spot.
ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott
Injured - Bowman, Millard
Practice Squad - Okoye (DL), Bykowski (OL), Seymour (OL), Hampton (RB), Underwood (LB), Moore (WR), Campbell (DB), Swanson (DB)