There are 177 users in the forums

If We Traded Up...

If We Traded Up...

Anyone who has watched how this FO operates and how the last 3 seasons ended is kidding themselves if they think we're not trading up for a top WR. Last year, our greatest need was safety and we moved WAY up to take, IMO the best in the draft. Given the way the last 3 seasons ended, and the fact there is no way we need as many picks as we have, book it.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Kyle Fuller and Donte Moncrief are the winners of this draft and we won't have to maneuver that much.

Yes
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Anyone who has watched how this FO operates and how the last 3 seasons ended is kidding themselves if they think we're not trading up for a top WR. Last year, our greatest need was safety and we moved WAY up to take, IMO the best in the draft. Given the way the last 3 seasons ended, and the fact there is no way we need as many picks as we have, book it.

Evans may be the only WR we are interested in trading up for and he may be off the board to Buffalo at 9. It's pretty arrogant to assume that you know exactly what the 49ers will do so far in advance of the draft in the middle of free agency. And I can assure you that our front office does not completely lock in on one player or position. Last year they wanted a safety and possibly Reid in particular, but if he was taken early I'm sure they had alternative strategies. What the 49ers will do depends on how the draft goes and for all we know, they may really like a WR who will be around in the 2nd round or at 30 or they may like multiple receivers and be willing to sit and wait and only move up if their targets start being drafted and they are worried none will fall to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers traded up for a corner or WR but I would be surprised if Baalke goes into the draft with the mindset you're suggesting.

I think you are wrong for one-this front office goes back actually 4 years and they moved and drafted as you say to get what they needed. What they needed were positions that had openings. Even when they didn't move up it was what they needed. So what is the biggest need where there is an opening? CB! Not wide receiver. Whoever, comes in at wr WILL be sitting behind crabtree and bolden, and possibly patton who if he makes strides will be crabs successor. That wr will be groomed for spot duty. Especially the way the niners operate - just look at the history of the coaching staff. They will have to get Kaep's trust while learning the system. Hard to do when you are not playing with the first team as much in training camp and pre-season or even regular practice. Especially when they don't run 3 and 4 wr sets to often.
Honest question here. I watch the draft closely but I'm no guru here. This is a really deep draft class at both WR & CB but I really feel like we need to sure up at CB more for the upcoming season. Any chance we can trade up for someone like Justin Gilbert and still get a high quality WR in the 2nd round?
Montravius Deleted in the 1st round!
We trade up for Gilbert,
The drop of talent from a CB taken round 1 this year as to round two is more steep than a WR from round 1 to round 2
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM ]
I just know Baalke would love to land Gilbert. If he slides past the Lions look out for Baalke trying to trade up.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Evans may be the only WR we are interested in trading up for and he may be off the board to Buffalo at 9. It's pretty arrogant to assume that you know exactly what the 49ers will do so far in advance of the draft in the middle of free agency. And I can assure you that our front office does not completely lock in on one player or position. Last year they wanted a safety and possibly Reid in particular, but if he was taken early I'm sure they had alternative strategies. What the 49ers will do depends on how the draft goes and for all we know, they may really like a WR who will be around in the 2nd round or at 30 or they may like multiple receivers and be willing to sit and wait and only move up if their targets start being drafted and they are worried none will fall to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers traded up for a corner or WR but I would be surprised if Baalke goes into the draft with the mindset you're suggesting.

There's a difference between arrogance and observation, bub. See, I'm making a comment on what I've observed over the past few years under Baalke. How did arrogance even come into play? Tell your parents you need a hug.
There's a difference between arrogance and observation, bub. See, I'm making a comment on what I've observed over the past few years under Baalke. How did arrogance even come into play? Tell your parents you need a hug.

Re-read your first sentence and look up the definition of observation and arrogance. You're calling out a lot of people who know more about the draft than you do. Making an observation that we traded up last year for a player we like at a position of need is one thing. Saying we are guaranteed to trade up for a top WR and everyone following the front office the past 3 years should know it is arrogance.

Gilbert is what we really need. I would be happy with Evans also.
"deleted" is pretty good i hear
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
I don't think we trade up for a CB. Can you remember any draft that a CB came in and actually made a difference. Cowboy did if for Claiborne didn't work out well. Peterson is the only recent 1st round CB I can remember making a difference form day one. Not to mention the last time the Jets or Broncos won the Super Bowl with Revis and Bailey. Sherman is bolstering CB value because of his mouth. Safety is the most important position on secondary it's Earl Thomas and Chancellor that makes Seattles secondary such a force.

Don't believe me here's some examples the hit Chancellor had on the first dive in he Super Bowl set the tone for game. I don't want to catch a ball going over the middle cause it's gonna hurt bad or Manning saying how many times can I do that before the ball pops out and into hands of an LB or CB. Sherman helps because teams won't go to him often but when you throw to the other side Earl Thomas is gonna make a play. Sherman cuts the field in half but it's the safeties that do the dirty work.

Also let's look at other teams. Pittsburgh is a completely different team when Polumalu is not on the field, Eric Berry is the strength of KC backfield, Siant defense was better in first half of the season with Vaccaro, Baltimore had Ed Reed and a great secondary but think of how much success those corners had on other teams. Last example you can all relate to is Ronnie Lot. How many superbowls did we win after he left.

Now you'll say what about Deion. Deion was a special player who made guys look open who weren't and his tackling ability was average. So QBs thought the had him beat and but his ability to quickly close the gap gave opposing QBs have a false sense of security to make an attempt on him cause if they could complete the pass it was going to be a high gain.

In my opinion we trade up to get Evens although it will be hard cause almost every team has a need for WR so you don't really know how high you need to move up to get him. Keep in mind a lot of the same teams that could use a WR also need a QB. The 2 second round picks help but it's gonna be very competitive and the timing has to be perfect. Evens has a 4.5 forty which doesn't make him the fastest guy around but it does make him 3 inches taller than Sherman and most important speed is negated in the redzone and size is usually the winning factor, and that's where we struggle most. Also keep in mind if we hit on him and looks like he can become a true #1 we get him cheap for 4 years and I can pretty much assure you Crabs want a big FA payday and will leave after 2015 if not franchised. Don't believe me see his rookie holdout. If Crabs does walk we will still have Evens and Boldin as one and 2 till 2016 worst case scenario.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Re-read your first sentence and look up the definition of observation and arrogance. You're calling out a lot of people who know more about the draft than you do. Making an observation that we traded up last year for a player we like at a position of need is one thing. Saying we are guaranteed to trade up for a top WR and everyone following the front office the past 3 years should know it is arrogance.

Both of you: cool it and keep the personal comments out of it.
Share 49ersWebzone