LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

If We Traded Up...

If We Traded Up...

If one of these players fell in the draft who would you hope to pick??

I think Evans will be a star with his size and speed but Id take Gilbert who I think will be a Patrick Peterson who hits two birds with 1 stone by being a playmaking CB and Return Man.

Edit; Deleted the unrealistic (Watkins Clowney), sorry to those who voted for them
[ Edited by Since07 on Mar 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM ]
Clowney is almost impossible to get to. Gilbert has a chance of falling in to range to possibly trade up for.
Originally posted by Since07:
Even though Clowney would be tempting and that I think Evans will be a star. I'd take Gilbert who I think will be a Patrick Peterson who hits two birds with 1 stone by being a playmaking CB and Return Man.

Gilbert's a great prospect, but I don't think he's in Patrick Peterson's league.
^^ Clowney is more of speculation I wouldn't say "Impossible" Dont think Patrick Peterson is that great either jus a natural play maker kinda like how I would discribe Deshaun Jackson
[ Edited by Since07 on Mar 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM ]
I don't get why you guys insist on speculating on trades into the top 3...so stupid.

They're not going to trade away our whole draft in the deepest draft class in years to get one player. Even if it was Clowney we made the move for...it's not like he plays a position we have a dire need at. He wouldn't be as good as a 3-4 DE and I'm not sure he'd be as good as a 3-4 OLB nor do we need someone there.
Kyle Fuller and Donte Moncrief are the winners of this draft and we won't have to maneuver that much.
Everyone is going to agree they need to pick up a CB and a WR, guys that can contribute this year. But, this really is a situation where they can take the BPA, regardless of position.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Everyone is going to agree they need to pick up a CB and a WR, guys that can contribute this year. But, this really is a situation where they can take the BPA, regardless of position.

Disagree.

There are spots on this roster where a rookie could contribute immediately: CB and WR most notably.

There are also spots where a rookie is likely to be buried on the depth chart: DL, OL, LB, RB, and QB.

To answer the OP, I'd love to move up for Watkins but I think the price will be too steep. I could, however, see us moving up for Evans or Gilbert.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM ]
I would be thrilled to trade up and grab Gilbert or Evans. We know Crabtree is going to be tough to resign having Evans ready to step in would be great
Evans AND Gilbert!!

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Gilbert's a great prospect, but I don't think he's in Patrick Peterson's league.

I agree that Peterson was clearly the better prospect but Gilbert can still be very good. I think Peterson will be better than Sherman soon if he isn't already - he just doesn't talk as much or get away with raping receivers. Gilbert should be a top 10-15 pick while Peterson would be a top 5 pick in almost any draft.

Peterson is a little heavier with bigger hands, but Gilbert has longer arms. Gilbert was a little slower in the 40 and looks a little slower in games, was much slower in the 3 cone drill, and had the same broad jump but a worse vertical (I'm surprised Peterson didn't have a better broad jump given his speed and vertical but it is a little random with only 2 attempts and he may not have practiced his technique as much for it). I think Gilbert is also a little more raw coming out of college and not as big a threat as a returner, but Peterson was a once in a generation type of corner prospect so I don't think the comparison is a reason not to take Gilbert who can also be very good. Gilbert did beat Peterson in the bench press, but I'd say Peterson was stronger coming out given the extra 17 pounds he had - Peterson did have massive legs and probably a lower center of gravity which helps him change directions and run more like a RB when he has the ball.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by ninergold:

Disagree.

There are spots on this roster where a rookie could contribute immediately: CB and WR most notably.

There are also spots where a rookie is likely to be buried on the depth chart: DL, OL, LB, RB, and QB.

To answer the OP, I'd love to move up for Watkins but I think the price will be too steep. I could, however, see us moving up for Evans or Gilbert.

I agree.
Pryor

http://youtu.be/8ICqU1LgYBw
Right now I have a feeling that we are going to trade up for Justin Gilbert. Dude has some long ass arms and I think we are looking for a top corner.
Watkins would cost a lot more than Gilbert, Evans or Dennard and isn't realistic. If we didn't re-sign Boldin sure then maybe its worth looking into. Gilbert probably goes to high to be worth trading up for. I think Evans or Dennard make the most sense but if you asked me who my favorite is then Watkins, Gilbert, Dennard and Evans in that order. Clowney has next to a 0 percent chance of happening. I think I'd rather just stay still or move up a few spots get Verrett then move up from 56 and get Matthews. Fuller and Beckham would be fine too. Moncrief or Landry with our pick in the 2nd would my 2nd choice if we don't get Matthews or Beckham.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone