LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Why WR should be priority number one...

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
1. Anquan Boldin will be 34 in early October. I love Anquan and I fully expect to get 2 more good years out of him, but we need some youth behind him aside from Patton.

2. Michael Crabtree will be a free agent in 2015. I think we'll be able to resign Crab, but it'd be nice to have a contingency plan in place.

3. I think style of play is overrated, but it'd be nice to have a vertical threat at WR. Randy Moss wasn't a world-beater while he was here, but he did threaten defenses vertically.

4. We have no depth behind the top 3 of Crabtree, Boldin, and Patton. And I don't know about you guys, but I don't ever want to be in a situation where we're giving meaningful playoff snaps to the likes of Brett Swain like we did in the 2011 NFCCG against the Giants.

5. Everyone seems to love Stephon Tuitt and Rashede Hageman, but we're already adding Tank Carradine and Ian Williams to a solid, versatile and deep group.

Bottom line: I want two receivers in this draft, and I would love to make a bold move and trade up high into the first round for Mike Evans or snatch up Kelvin Benjamin at 30.

I agree that we need wr for the future. However, when you say priority #1, I have to say you are wrong. With that said, you cannot just think of the future but the present. Getting a DB is priority number one not only for the present but also the future. If we get a quality rated DB, we will be set at corner for the next four years. In as far as safety, I think Bethea is going to maintain that part. You hope that cook and wright can be reclamation projects that can be turned around like others before them, but if they can't, then you are a $hit out of luck-then what. Culliver is a question mark. That wide receiver is set for next year means whoever comes in has play the niners away to get playing time. Patton has better cha.nce of proving his value more than cook or wright. Crabtree like you said is a FA in 2015-but I don't expect him back because we need to resign Aldon and Kaep first. As evvidence in this FA period, wr were not a premium as DB's were in the begining

We got to the playoffs the last 3 years because of out defense, we are not the saints patriots broncos or packers-who score a lot because they give up a lot. Which if you noticed-they got slapped silly by teams who can bring defenses to the playoff. And style of play does come into it, teams that don't take that into account are ones that are middling or like how the niners were before our current FO and coaching staff came to power.

If we go high-go DB unless the two main ones are gone then wr, but like in all cases only if certain ones are there. Otherwise take the shotgun approach-draft seveal of them those position-one of them will stick.

I also believe that the niners should make more use LMJ as a slot wr, it was a waste of draft pick if they don't. He may have talent, but it hasn't shown cause they haven't put him on the field enough.
Originally posted by Since07:
Holy s**t I totally thought he got hurt near the end of 2012! Idk why lol but still doesn't mean we should be comfortable playing him starting role

He was essentially a starter for the last 6 games of this past season, and you could easily make the case that he was our best corner.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The reality is this, the 49ers rarely play 3 WR sets, no rookie WR that comes in will play over Boldin or Crabtree. So basically looking at the talent available, in the 1st I can see a CB or BPA. If a WR is BPA, even if they have to trade up for him, then that is who they'll go with. If a defensive lineman is BPA, then that is who they will go with. I don't think its a given or a necessity to get a WR in the 1st round.
I agree, that and the fact when we play teams that go 3 and 4 wr, you will need a lot of good DBs back there. Culliver is an uncertainty too. Luckily we have a lot of ammo.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I agree that we need wr for the future. However, when you say priority #1, I have to say you are wrong. With that said, you cannot just think of the future but the present. Getting a DB is priority number one not only for the present but also the future. If we get a quality rated DB, we will be set at corner for the next four years. In as far as safety, I think Bethea is going to maintain that part. You hope that cook and wright can be reclamation projects that can be turned around like others before them, but if they can't, then you are a $hit out of luck-then what. Culliver is a question mark. That wide receiver is set for next year means whoever comes in has play the niners away to get playing time. Patton has better cha.nce of proving his value more than cook or wright. Crabtree like you said is a FA in 2015-but I don't expect him back because we need to resign Aldon and Kaep first. As evvidence in this FA period, wr were not a premium as DB's were in the begining

We got to the playoffs the last 3 years because of out defense, we are not the saints patriots broncos or packers-who score a lot because they give up a lot. Which if you noticed-they got slapped silly by teams who can bring defenses to the playoff. And style of play does come into it, teams that don't take that into account are ones that are middling or like how the niners were before our current FO and coaching staff came to power.

If we go high-go DB unless the two main ones are gone then wr, but like in all cases only if certain ones are there. Otherwise take the shotgun approach-draft seveal of them those position-one of them will stick.

I also believe that the niners should make more use LMJ as a slot wr, it was a waste of draft pick if they don't. He may have talent, but it hasn't shown cause they haven't put him on the field enough.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but the idea of using LMJ as a slot WR is a little silly. Name one player in history that has successfully been converted from RB to WR after reaching the NFL.

If Harbaugh trusts his backup QB more this year, you'll see more of LMJ and the read option. If he doesn't, which seems likely, LMJ will likely continue to languish on the bench--barring injuries. I'm convinced LMJ was drafted with the read option in mind. Look at how he excelled in it down the stretch in 2012 after Hunter got hurt.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Our team is built in such a way that we can basically take BPA in each round...WRs N CBs are such a deep class so BPA will be a great thing cause someone really good will fall right in our lap....

Or we'll end up with a DL that won't see more than 10 snaps a game for the next 2 years.

We need immediate impact from the top of this draft.

Immediate impact hhmmmm really ??? Guess we see our team as to very different teams we're stacked we have been contenders 3 yrs now N that's not changing anytime soon..we draft for tha future not for now..IMO a D-lineman(Tuitt)would be a great pick at #30 a lot of our D-linemen are FAs after tha 2015 season N so what if he gets 10 snaps a season not like a WR would see any more behind Crabtree, Boldin, Patton N Baldwin.. With 2nd round WRz like Matthews, Adams, Moncrief, plus others along with draft picks to move up if need be we can do anything N take anyone ...

We draft for impact now and then the future in the later rounds-from Iupati, Aldon and Reid (the exception AJ) with the first pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The reality is this, the 49ers rarely play 3 WR sets, no rookie WR that comes in will play over Boldin or Crabtree. So basically looking at the talent available, in the 1st I can see a CB or BPA. If a WR is BPA, even if they have to trade up for him, then that is who they'll go with. If a defensive lineman is BPA, then that is who they will go with. I don't think its a given or a necessity to get a WR in the 1st round.

Fair point, but we still have a frightening lack of depth after Boldin and Crab. I love Patton's potential, but he has 3 career catches. Do you remember how god awful we looked on offense before Crab came back? Do you remember Brett Swain lining up out wide against the Giants in the NFCCG?

I won't be upset about taking a corner at all, but I maintain WR is a bigger need.

Crab is an impending FA and Anquan is going to be 34. A big target like Evans or Benjamin or a burner like Cooks would make us more dynamic now and for years to come.
We draft for impact now and then the future in the later rounds-from Iupati, Aldon and Reid (the exception AJ) with the first pick.

Exactly. The Eric Reid trade-up proves Baalke's willingness to package picks and move up for immediate impact.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but the idea of using LMJ as a slot WR is a little silly. Name one player in history that has successfully been converted from RB to WR after reaching the NFL.

If Harbaugh trusts his backup QB more this year, you'll see more of LMJ and the read option. If he doesn't, which seems likely, LMJ will likely continue to languish on the bench--barring injuries. I'm convinced LMJ was drafted with the read option in mind. Look at how he excelled in it down the stretch in 2012 after Hunter got hurt.

Here is the thing I look at it. He can shift and move around, from in the backfield to the slot and vice versa. You haven't seen it full time (conversion), because most people like to stay status quo before. It doesn't mean full time gig, but more like 50/50. Teams would have to guess what is it going to be. This is showing new wrinkles that teams have to game plan. Unfortunately Roman is not innovative except in the way he runs the ball.
Immediate impact hhmmmm really ??? Guess we see our team as to very different teams we're stacked we have been contenders 3 yrs now N that's not changing anytime soon..we draft for tha future not for now..IMO a D-lineman(Tuitt)would be a great pick at #30 a lot of our D-linemen are FAs after tha 2015 season N so what if he gets 10 snaps a season not like a WR would see any more behind Crabtree, Boldin, Patton N Baldwin.. With 2nd round WRz like Matthews, Adams, Moncrief, plus others along with draft picks to move up if need be we can do anything N take anyone ...

Agree on this draft being deep at WR. Disagree on everything else.

Using picks on guys who won't contribute immediately is fine in the later rounds (e.g. Lattimore), and I really don't even mind what they did with Carradine.

However, we need young talent to step in and contribute immediately if we're going to get over the hump.

DL depth chart looks a hell of a lot better than our WR depth chart.

DT: Justin Smith / Tank Carradine
NT: Glenn Dorsey / Ian Williams / Quinton Dial
DE: Ray McDonald / Tony Jerod-Eddie / Demarcus Dobbs

That's 5 starter quality players and 3 quality rotational guys by my count. We're only going to keep 6-7 DLs.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
AGREE - WR helps in more ways than on offense.

Our defense is "stressed" because we don't have any big plays that help get us a good lead. I'm tired of the "sustain drives" argument. If you can't put daggers in the other side with big plays, which demoralizes the other team, then your defense is playing "stressed" always trying to guard a lead.

A big play receiver (deep threat, and red zone help) are the offenses critical need. Then even our defense gets to play loose and have more fun.

No I disagree, teams that score quickly, don't help in that the D has to go out on the field more often. If you played the game and have friends that did,they will tell you this. Although it helps if you score more in the second half and THEN pin your ears back. Still you need DB who can cover so that the DL can cause more problems and give the ball back to the O. Just like JH first year.

Here is the thing I look at it. He can shift and move around, from in the backfield to the slot and vice versa. You haven't seen it full time (conversion), because most people like to stay status quo before. It doesn't mean full time gig, but more like 50/50. Teams would have to guess what is it going to be. This is showing new wrinkles that teams have to game plan. Unfortunately Roman is not innovative except in the way he runs the ball.

It's an interesting idea. I'm just skeptical as to whether LMJ has the route-running and receiving ability to excel in that role. He never caught more than 17 balls in a season at Oregon.

I think LMJ is ultimately a great back in a spread scheme. Roman showed a lot of innovation with spread concepts in 2012, but I think he was forced to back off after trading Alex left us without a trusted backup. Plus, defenses showed their primary answer--aside from the scrape-exchange--was to be physical with the QBs whether they had the ball or not.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
AGREE - WR helps in more ways than on offense.

Our defense is "stressed" because we don't have any big plays that help get us a good lead. I'm tired of the "sustain drives" argument. If you can't put daggers in the other side with big plays, which demoralizes the other team, then your defense is playing "stressed" always trying to guard a lead.

A big play receiver (deep threat, and red zone help) are the offenses critical need. Then even our defense gets to play loose and have more fun.

No I disagree, teams that score quickly, don't help in that the D has to go out on the field more often. If you played the game and have friends that did,they will tell you this. Although it helps if you score more in the second half and THEN pin your ears back. Still you need DB who can cover so that the DL can cause more problems and give the ball back to the O. Just like JH first year.

I think where another WR would help the defense most is on 3rd down and in the red zone, where we've struggled mightily.

Extending drives and scoring TDs rather than kicking FGs is huge, obviously.
I 100% agree that they need WR help and I hope they draft more then 1 WR. I'm looking at some of the WR that could be there in the second and third round and wow. I hope they can make some moves and get to the top of the second and get the WR they really want. Draft a Odell Beckham Jr, Jordan Matthews,Donte Moncrief,Martavis Bryant. some of these guy will be there in the second round. If they can trade up and get Matthews at the top of the second and one of the other later in the second I think they will be looking great. I know some of these guy could go in the first round and that will suck but that is the draft. Hell some team could fall in love with one of them and draft him in the top 15.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree on this draft being deep at WR. Disagree on everything else.

Using picks on guys who won't contribute immediately is fine in the later rounds (e.g. Lattimore), and I really don't even mind what they did with Carradine.

However, we need young talent to step in and contribute immediately if we're going to get over the hump.

DL depth chart looks a hell of a lot better than our WR depth chart.

DT: Justin Smith / Tank Carradine
NT: Glenn Dorsey / Ian Williams / Quinton Dial
DE: Ray McDonald / Tony Jerod-Eddie / Demarcus Dobbs

That's 5 starter quality players and 3 quality rotational guys by my count. We're only going to keep 6-7 DLs.

I'd love for the 49ers to trade up and get a blue chip WR, maybe a Mike Evans. But I think they will go defense and choose a DB. Like you said the WR position is deep, and considering we're a run first team, the WR position isn't a high priority as is the RB and TE position is. I can see them choosing a top of the line DB/Cornerback and then get a couple of fast WR's in the late 2nd or 3rd rounds (maybe a moncrief or a Bryant). But I got to tell you, I was impressed with Mike Evans. 4.53 isn't 4.3 but it's plenty fast for a big guy like him. 4.53 should still scare a majority of the DB's out there playing in the NFL.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
The last 5 Superbowl Champs won with receivers drafted in the later rounds or not drafted at all. Our lack of offensive production has little to do with personnel and more to do with scheme. There's no reason we can't be a dynamic offense with the players we already have, adding more weapons will not guarantee anything if they aren't used properly. Boldin with a healthy Crabtree and Patton with VD and VMac should scare opponents but its up to Greg Roman and these coaches to put them in position to dominate. That hasn't been the case since 2011 at home against the Bills.
Share 49ersWebzone