There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why WR should be priority number one...

1. Anquan Boldin will be 34 in early October. I love Anquan and I fully expect to get 2 more good years out of him, but we need some youth behind him aside from Patton.

2. Michael Crabtree will be a free agent in 2015. I think we'll be able to resign Crab, but it'd be nice to have a contingency plan in place.

3. I think style of play is overrated, but it'd be nice to have a vertical threat at WR. Randy Moss wasn't a world-beater while he was here, but he did threaten defenses vertically.

4. We have no depth behind the top 3 of Crabtree, Boldin, and Patton. And I don't know about you guys, but I don't ever want to be in a situation where we're giving meaningful playoff snaps to the likes of Brett Swain like we did in the 2011 NFCCG against the Giants.

5. Everyone seems to love Stephon Tuitt and Rashede Hageman, but we're already adding Tank Carradine and Ian Williams to a solid, versatile and deep group.

Bottom line: I want two receivers in this draft, and I would love to make a bold move and trade up high into the first round for Mike Evans or snatch up Kelvin Benjamin at 30.
That might be nice but I would have no problem getting Mathews, or maybe Moncrief in the 2nd rd and Landry or Bryant in the 3rd round.

That's who we need
Our team is built in such a way that we can basically take BPA in each round...WRs N CBs are such a deep class so BPA will be a great thing cause someone really good will fall right in our lap....
Did you see how many guys we lost in the secondary this year?
I don't know about #1, BUT

IMO, we lost the Super Bowl and Seattle playoff game because of the offense.

If we could have scored in the Red Zone we'd have been champs.

This draft is supposed to be deep in quality WR. I think we need 2 high potential and 1 sleeper type in the later rounds who could be good on ST and still have the ability to be developed.

Agree w/SanDiego that our secondary needs to be addressed.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I don't know about #1, BUT

IMO, we lost the Super Bowl and Seattle playoff game because of the offense.

If we could have scored in the Red Zone we'd have been champs.

This draft is supposed to be deep in quality WR. I think we need 2 high potential and 1 sleeper type in the later rounds who could be good on ST and still have the ability to be developed.

Agree w/SanDiego that our secondary needs to be addressed.

Secondary is the most important. I could see us pick CB and S early. Guys like Chris Cook are no guarantee. I like Bethea but he may be a wash with Whitner. Maybe better at some things and worse at some things.
I would say a true #1 CB: Justin Gilbert

WR, we don't necessarily need a #1, but many feel like that deep threat is a need and a slot receiver, but we may not need to move up to get either one.
AGREE BIG TIME about Chris Cook - hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I'd be happy w/getting WR who can PLAY. I don't really care what round, I'm thinking one of our 2nds, one of our 3rds and a 5th for the sleeper.

I've seen Brandon Coleman's name mentioned in places, 6'6", 220 Rutgers, would he be considered a sleep and what round?
I think that if we prioritize getting a WR in the first round, it has to be someone who helps us in the red zone, like Mike Evans, and that is unlikely. Slot receivers can be found in the later rounds, IMO. I want true #1 CB--someone who can elevate the quality of the defensive backfield just by being there--my favorite choice there is Gilbert. Either of these options requires a trade up that we may not be able to manage, as the could both go top 10, but if there is a run on QBs early we could luck out and snag one. We need to get difference makers, not players that will maintain the status quo, and those two guys are it.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

That's who we need

Damn he's quick, and he can catch too.. I'd be very happy with him or Beckham Jr
A top rated corner should be first.and a receiver second,IMO
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Cooks or De'Anthony Thomas and Moncrief would be sweet!

I know Thomas is listed as RB, but he can also catch, play ST and is better than LMJ (imo).
Didn't mention what if 1 of em gets hurt either. Great read even though I think CB is the number 1 priority hands down We jus lost are two starters and who is now starting (Culliver and Brock) both have had ACL tears in the past 2 yrs. Neither of which have been official starters
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Did you see how many guys we lost in the secondary this year?

I did, but we also add Bethea, Cook and most importantly, Culliver. That said, I do think DB is our second biggest need.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM ]