There are 168 users in the forums

my mock draft again...this time, I was sober

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I'd be stunned if we tag a WR with Baalke as GM.
that is not a Baalke-thread.

Fine: Crabtree won't be tagged in 2015 (at roughly $10 MM), by anyone (even our GM, who will not be named to avoid any cross-thread confusion). We need a starting WR to train up to replace him by 2015, and probably another to replace Boldin after 2015. If Patton can be one of those, great: we still need one, and WR takes long enough to learn in the NFL that we should get that guy soon (see also: now).
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Donald was a quick comparison, obviously no two players are our identical. The comparison was mainly in regards to their speed and quickness.

Carridine ran a 4.75 four and half months post ACL operation. Not sure you understand how FREAKY that is. That is Frickin INSANE! Would not surprise me if Tank is able to run a 4.5 or 4.6 right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162142/article/tank-carradine-impresses-with-475-40-in-predraft-run

The 4.75 time was unofficial and his actual time was closer to a 4.90. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he's recovered a lot more since then and can now run an actual 4.75. There is no way in hell he runs a 4.5 - he does not look anywhere near as explosive or fast as Clowney before the injury. I don't think he is as fast as Donald right now either.
"According to a high-ranking league source, Carradine was clocked at 4.93 seconds in the 40-yard dash, a more than respectable time considering that the 6-foot-4, 276-pound pass-rusher injured the knee just under five months ago but slower than the 4.75-4.85-second times first reported by Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1824132
Fine: Crabtree won't be tagged in 2015 (at roughly $10 MM), by anyone (even our GM, who will not be named to avoid any cross-thread confusion). We need a starting WR to train up to replace him by 2015, and probably another to replace Boldin after 2015. If Patton can be one of those, great: we still need one, and WR takes long enough to learn in the NFL that we should get that guy soon (see also: now).
Still, given the deep WR-class, a pick in the 2nd-round is also a strong possibility. There is no need to rush.
To be exact, we are also loaded at WR too. Boldin, Crabs, Patton, Baldwin. If all of them make the final cut etc., the new WRs will have a hard time.
Additionally to that, this draft is LOADED with WR- and CB-talent and we know how good our FO is at drafting CBs late. No need to pick one in the first round.

Ian Williams is our NT, either a starter or a quality-backup. We don't know how fit Tank is and I don't want to have an injured Justin Smith...the guy has to rest for some snaps.
TJE could be left after all of our cuts, Dobbs and Okoye could be gone. Okoye is completely unexperienced which means either he is VERY ambitious or he will need another year on the PS or he will never be a guy of starter quality.

Patton has 3 career catches and Baldwin just took a paycut to avoid getting cut.

We have 3 guys that are definitely 53-man roster quality at WR, for 5-6 spots.

We have 7-8 guys that are definitely 53-man roster quality at DL, for 6-7 spots.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Patton has 3 career catches and Baldwin just took a paycut to avoid getting cut.

We have 7-8 guys that are definitely 53-man roster quality at DL, for 6-7 spots.
Name them please.

Name them please.

DT: Justin Smith / Tank Carradine
NT: Glenn Dorsey / Ian Williams / Quinton Dial
DE: Ray McDonald / Tony Jerod-Eddie / Demarcus Dobbs

5 of those guys have started games for us. One we picked at #40 OVR just last year and the other was a 5th rounder just last year. The 8th guy, Dobbs, is a key special teamer on top of having logged rotational snaps as well.

Not counting practice squad guys, we only have 4 receivers under contract.

2 of them are monsters (Crab and Boldin).

Patton has 3 career catches, 0 starts, and has played in 6 games. That said, I love his potential and have high hopes for him.

Baldwin was inactive for 9 games last year and caught 3 balls.

After them, there are 2 empty spots on the depth chart.
I'll put it to you this way: which group do you feel better about?

A. Tank Carradine, Tony Jerod-Eddie, and Ian Williams

or

B. Quinton Patton, Jonathan Baldwin, and empty roster spots
I don't see a rookie lineman making the 53. Our DL features Cowboy, McDonald, Dorsey, Williams, Tank, TJE, Dobbs, and Dial. Super freak Okoye will also get a shot in TC, after a year of watching and doing football related "physical therapy." That's 8-9 guys already, 7 of whom are game tested, on a team that will keep 6-7 DL.

Our OL features the 5 starters, Looney (G/C), Martin (T/G), Snyder (all 5), Seymour (C/G), Marquadt (beast T project), Bykowski (T project). We keep 8 on the roster. I am confident Looney and Martin make it, and it'll be tough for the coaches to cut Snyder for a rookie. Marquadt/Seymour/Bykowski could also compete for that final spot.

Are you kidding? Tuitt would knock Dobbs off the roster in a heartbeat, he'd get cut so fast his head would spin.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM ]
I'll put it to you this way: which group do you feel better about?

A. Tank Carradine, Tony Jerod-Eddie, and Ian Williams

or

B. Quinton Patton, Jonathan Baldwin, and empty roster spots

For a team that rarely uses 3 WR sets? I don't see the position being as much of an issue, especially since the depth of this draft is at WR. Meanwhile the DL and the front seven is the core of this team, having high quality DL's is never of detriment to a team, witness Seattle last season. I think if you have a shot at a guy like Tuitt or Hageman, you don't pass it up.

DT: Justin Smith / Tank Carradine
NT: Glenn Dorsey / Ian Williams / Quinton Dial
DE: Ray McDonald / Tony Jerod-Eddie / Demarcus Dobbs

5 of those guys have started games for us. One we picked at #40 OVR just last year and the other was a 5th rounder just last year. The 8th guy, Dobbs, is a key special teamer on top of having logged rotational snaps as well.

Not counting practice squad guys, we only have 4 receivers under contract.

2 of them are monsters (Crab and Boldin).

Patton has 3 career catches, 0 starts, and has played in 6 games. That said, I love his potential and have high hopes for him.

Baldwin was inactive for 9 games last year and caught 3 balls.

After them, there are 2 empty spots on the depth chart.
I've picked two WRs, both very dynamic, one of them can do everything you need.

I would cut a special teamer any day if I can pick a huge talent instead. I strongly assume that Justin Smith is done next year. Then, we will need another DE...why not pick him now?
I'd be stunned if we tag a WR with Baalke as GM.

I wouldn't, considering the going rate for premium receivers and that Crabtree is an absolute premium receiver.
I've picked two WRs, both very dynamic, one of them can do everything you need.

I would cut a special teamer any day if I can pick a huge talent instead. I strongly assume that Justin Smith is done next year. Then, we will need another DE...why not pick him now?

This. I feel like first round is BPA, unlike others, I am not convinced that the 49ers will necessarily trade up, doing so in a loaded draft could be a waste of a potentially high quality prospect unless there's a guy that they simply feel like they must have.
My thoughts on this mock are that I would substitute Easley for a CB, but this really takes care of the major needs.

WR-Moncrief, Ellington, big receiver, slot receiver/deep threat

Nickel CB-Joyner

CB Depth-Aikens(would have to be taken earlier realistically)

Safety to develop-Loston. I almost took him in my mock draft. Now that Bethea is there, the 49ers can afford to develop a guy like Loston.

C-Bryan Stork

FB/TE/H-Back-Millard
Aikens in the 4th instead of Easley.
Archer instead of Leno in the 5th.
Share 49ersWebzone